Wow..HUGE PERCH

its not called a perch over in the uk, i cant think of the name of what they call it. Its kind of like the walleye=zander, its a different strain of fish.

If that was a north american fish, i owuld sure take up perch fishing lol

Cheers!

It's a European Perch. And they get big.

Nile perch are unrelated to Perca species like the European and yellow perch.

years ago down at 50 point in grimsby i seen a kid with a perch on a stringer that was the length of my forearm. it must have weighed like 5 or 6 lbs . it was just a monsterr

That would shatter the world record. I wish people wouldn't throw weights around like that. It tends to cheapen the accomplishment of actually catching a fish that big.

I can believe witness to a massive perch. 5 or 6 pounds may be much.

I wish we had the photo proof, a picture was taken on a fun saver, but the film was lost. Six years ago on a nice portage lake just off our resort near gowganda, my cousin, I and some friends were trolling with williams spoons and our friend Steve catches a huge perch that I thought was a walleye when it was coming up...it was the biggest perch I've ever seen. I can estimate that it was three pounds minimum, beating the current Ontario record, but back then we didn't know or care much for records. It sure was tasty though. Another fishermans tale? :dunno: Without the verification, I am leaving myself open to injury but I give it my Scout's honour (and I was a scout).

I can believe witness to a massive perch. 5 or 6 pounds may be much.

I wish we had the photo proof, a picture was taken on a fun saver, but the film was lost. Six years ago on a nice portage lake just off our resort near gowganda, my cousin, I and some friends were trolling with williams spoons and our friend Steve catches a huge perch that I thought was a walleye when it was coming up...it was the biggest perch I've ever seen. I can estimate that it was three pounds minimum, beating the current Ontario record, but back then we didn't know or care much for records. It sure was tasty though. Another fishermans tale? :dunno: Without the verification, I am leaving myself open to injury but I give it my Scout's honour (and I was a scout).

ya man i hear ya.

there is a good chance he ate the perch or didn't get it weighed for a record

Hey Littleangler. I've seen that picture before over here in the UK and it is a very big European Perch, though it must be said the angler does also hold the fish very close to the camera away from his body to make it look bigger - none of us have ever done that! LOL :whistling:

I think that fish was a four pounder. The record over here is almost 6lbs!!

Lunkerbasshunter - the fish in the picture is definitely a European Perch which is very similar to the Yellow Perch in Canada. There are some subtle colour differences. The perch in Europe are generally a paler colour a sort of greyishgreen (no yellow) but usually with very pronounced black stripes and bright red anal and tail fins. The other fish you mentioned is a Zander otherwise known as a 'Pike-Perch' - it is indeed very like a walleye and therefore doesn't really look like a perch except for the dorsal fin and nothing like a pike. The Zander is an alien species to the UK having been introduced from Holland I believe.

I hope the info is useful - hopefully one day I'll post such a picture of a big perch - I've been told that my local lakes in England have perch of about 4lbs!

cheers

Edited by OO7

Camera angle accounts for a lot in the first pic in this thread, but it is a BIG Perch.

Here's my biggest perch (2.20 lbs) caught on Lake Erie.

LakeEriePerch5-2-06005.jpg

Billy Bob, that fish is just nasty fat!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Looks like some of the folks around here waddling out of the all you can eat fried food restaurants!!! :rolleyes: