rod and reel help

modny

looking at all my rods and reels that i got here at my place i decided to get a nice new all round spinning rod with a lifetime warrenty.

i ended up getting a 6'2'' shimano crucial med light..

i recently bought a shimano symetre 750(6lb mono on it) reel aswell

does this reel pair well with the rod or should i move to a 1000 reel with this setup?

i feel like its a little small but the guy at fishing world assures me its great..

also,

i've been looking at getting a microlite fibreglass spinning rod from BPS, the 20.00 ones.. do u think its waste of money, or should i anti up for the 139.00 st croix UL with lifetime aswell...

i'm kinda caught between... i could always look used aswell

thoughts? suggestions? :clapping:

I personally consider the 1000 a UL reel and think a 2500 would be better suited for that particular rod... but that's just me!

I have a 7' Crucial UL rod that I love to death!!! It'll fling a 1/16 oz lure waaaaay out there with a 1000 Stradic reel!

looking at all my rods and reels that i got here at my place i decided to get a nice new all round spinning rod with a lifetime warrenty.

i ended up getting a 6'2'' shimano crucial med light..

i recently bought a shimano symetre 750(6lb mono on it) reel aswell

does this reel pair well with the rod or should i move to a 1000 reel with this setup?

i feel like its a little small but the guy at fishing world assures me its great..

also,

i've been looking at getting a microlite fibreglass spinning rod from BPS, the 20.00 ones.. do u think its waste of money, or should i anti up for the 139.00 st croix UL with lifetime aswell...

Check the backbone on the $20 rod. I've got some cheap rods and they're fun to cast with once you figger out the timing, but they're not great for getting a good hookset.

JF

I personally consider the 1000 a UL reel and think a 2500 would be better suited for that particular rod... but that's just me!

I have a 7' Crucial UL rod that I love to death!!! It'll fling a 1/16 oz lure waaaaay out there with a 1000 Stradic reel!

yea the stradic reel is supposed to be great..

I would pair a 1500 size reel with the 6'2" rod you mentioned. It will balance better in your hand, and the larger spool will allow for longer casts and less memory in the line. The Micro Lite rods at Bass Pro ain't bad for 20 bucks, but they are much too soft in action and weak in power if you ask me. This leads to missed hook-sets and lack of lure control. If you have money to burn, get the St. Croix UL. If you only have 20 bucks, the choice is obvious.

And keep in mind GCD's ability to fling a 1/16oz lure waaaaay out there is a characteristic of the Crucial UL rod, and any other faster-action UL rod (St. Croix, G. Loomis, Fenwick, etc.), rather than the reel, although once again the wider spool of the 1000 size reel helps a bit. He must also have a quick wrist and good timing. I know I did when I was becoming a teenager... fishing, of course.

Edited by BabyHerc

wow thanks for that great reply

i think in a couple weeks i'm gonna go back and check that st croix UL rod out...it was a great rod i think it was 149.00$ .

real flexible, but SUPER stiff. not flimsy at all

i'd pair it up with that shimano symetre 750. and whil i'm down there i'm look into a 1000, or 1500 ree aswell, hopefully something that wont make me too broke hahah

i think i'm going to try and find a nice used reel.

mostly because a stradic is like 200$ from what i can see.. i'd rather not blow that kinda doe..

i've been checking e bay aswell...

even the symetre 1500 looks decent, for around 65$ but i still think its kinda small

if anyone has any leads on a nice 1000 or 1500 reel PM me..

i'm definetly gonna check out one of those BPS microlite rods though. for 20$ its kinda hard to pass up. especially if its just for havin fun with panfish and 16th/ 32nd oz jigs

Edited by Micropterus hole

Lots of great advice on reels that pair nicely with the rod!

I'll chime in on the rod. If you are like me, I tend to break stuff out of my own stupidity. That is I'll likely step on a rod and break it or slam it in a car door (I've done both)....not breaking it by fighting a fish...LOL. The rod I use to land 20 pound salmon and the few musky I've brought in the boat is a 30 dollar shimano fiberglass rod, and it's done great for me....but these are fish that when they strike there is no mistaking it. If you need a rod that has better sensitivity to detect subtle hits then you'll likely want to fork out the money.

Lots of great advice on reels that pair nicely with the rod!

I'll chime in on the rod. If you are like me, I tend to break stuff out of my own stupidity. That is I'll likely step on a rod and break it or slam it in a car door (I've done both)....not breaking it by fighting a fish...LOL. The rod I use to land 20 pound salmon and the few musky I've brought in the boat is a 30 dollar shimano fiberglass rod, and it's done great for me....but these are fish that when they strike there is no mistaking it. If you need a rod that has better sensitivity to detect subtle hits then you'll likely want to fork out the money.

i guess u missed it..

but i just picked up a shimano crucial 6.2 med light rod

it has a lifetime warranty against everything basically. i break it, i get new rod.

yea i've been looking in the classifieds, there is currently a abu garcia cardinal 103. is this a good reel to match up with that shimano rod?

i'm hoping they have deals on reels if i go to BPS on saturday. something like a nice diawa, shimano, or quantum reel

there is a diawa reel that is supposed to be actually a little better than the stradic 1000.

actually BPS has the shimano symetre reels on sale currently

would a 2500 be too big? i'm thinking of this rod being used for like walleye/bass/trout

i'd probably run 10lb line on her aswell...

i plan on running the 750 on a st.croix UL

I would offer a middle of the road compromise on this question if you are at basspro here or shopping online check out the 49.99 U.S. (probably 100 Canadian they like to hose us) Bass Pro Wally Marshall Pro Series Crappie Jigging Poles the shortest is 7ft though. They are an UL action regardless of what the pole says. I have 2 of last years version in 8ft and it is AMAZING, super sensitive, whips just a leech with no weight about 35 yds with 6lb test. It also is incredibly versatile. Since mine only cost me 45 delivered I use it for bass, pike, perch and on Sunday I caught a 30lb carp off the pier on Erie and landed that water pig with only 6lb test. I have also used it for perching with a 1.5 oz weight for about 20 trips and no problems. If you don't want a 7 ft long rod in UL check out Wally's other rods he has some shorter rods in other series that won't break the bank but have some seriously good reviews.

I use line from 6lb fireline to 20lb powerpro on my 2500s (sahara's and stradics) and have never had a problem. The 2500 isn't too small (got my 750 sedona for panfish/ice fishing) and not too big at all. You can google the recommended line diameters for spools pretty easily, the shimano 2500s (sahara, stradic) for example are listed for 6-10lb line (mono width): 6/200, 8/140, 10/120 so yup, 10lb is fine on it as long as you aren't flinging 121 yards :)

This is my first post so don't jump on me dudes, but you may want to go to a 1500 or 2000 style reel, as for those 20$ micro light rods there pretty sweet given the right oportunities to fish!! I use mine with 2-3lb test line drop shotting in marinas for perch! I realise there very soft so I only use them cold water situations after ice out or before ice in and I'll tell you dudes they up my catch rate 70% used in the right program. If your a Diehard percher the 20$ micro rods are sweet

This is my first post so don't jump on me dudes, but you may want to go to a 1500 or 2000 style reel, as for those 20$ micro light rods there pretty sweet given the right oportunities to fish!! I use mine with 2-3lb test line drop shotting in marinas for perch! I realise there very soft so I only use them cold water situations after ice out or before ice in and I'll tell you dudes they up my catch rate 70% used in the right program. If your a Diehard percher the 20$ micro rods are sweet

thanks for the input...

i think i'm going to do the following.

buy a 1500, 2000 or 2500 reel and pair it with the crucial

buy a st croix UL and pair it with my 750 symetre

buy a 20$ microspin rod and match it with this quantum microreel i have.

then go fishin

thanks for your help everyone

i went to fishing world tonight and i believe its the owner who was helping me out. i tell ya, what a knowledgable person. and very friendly/ co operative aswell.

i ended up purchasing a shimano symetre 2500 reel with 1 spool 10 lb braid and another 10lb flourocarbon

i think it fits the 6 foot med light crucial beautifully.

i was gonna get the 2500 shimano saros but it was double the price so nah.

i got a st croix avid UL rod aswell and mated that with my 750 shimano symetre aswell

i love these combo's, cant wait to test em on saturday