Moon River near Bala

Rich

My aunt has a house on the Moon River just north of Bala. Her section of river is cool, she's between a dam and a waterfall and owns all the waterfront between the two on her side of the river, and there are no cottages on the other side. So it's basically all to herself. I've fished this section during visits and caught numerous tiny smallmouth bass and rock bass. I'm pretty sure that's all that's in this section, given the sheer numbers of bass we catch. You can sit there and catch them every cast for 3 hours straight off her dock, all 8 inchers. No matter what size lure you use.

Anywho, I was thinking of going up for a visit at the end of the summer with the family and figured this time I'll venture into the upper section of the river. My uncle tells me there are walleye to be caught up there. I rarely make a trip for just walleye and bass.. I need something bigger to draw me, lol

I'm under the impression that the muskies are just in the lower basin closer to Lake Huron. So I guess my main question is: Are there pike or muskies to be caught in that section of the Moon River? Are they mostly snot rockets or are there some bigger ones?

Any info would be appreciated. Not just for me but my uncle asked me to post as well. He doesn't get out fishing much and doesn't really have time to explore the local areas. he works construction 70 - 80 hours a week.

I have never fished the area myself, but if I'm not mistaken I read somewhere once that the ontario record for musky came out of that region. I think it was somewhere at the mouth of the river, either Arnold's Bay or the Moon River Bay itself or Blackstone Harbour. But the mouth of the river is probably not what your asking about.

Edited by robell

maybe someone else can help ya Rich but, tie on a lure bigger than those 8" bass and see what happens. I don't suspect htere are many muskies up there but you never know, if there are any pike you'll probably catch them. :dunno:

Edited by Raf

smallies, pike and walleye for sure. i was told years ago in the 60's and 70's that the whole moon river was filled with 10-15 pound walleye, better fishing then the BOQ, there still their im sure just not like the so called old days.

i know there are musky there a friend of mine brags to me every year that he has caught them from shore in the fall by the damn.

cheers!

at the falls by the dam right in Bala? Really?!? HHMMMmmmm....looks like I will have to start bringing my rod for the family's annual pictures down at Bala Falls....

Edited by johnnyb

I never fished that far into the interior of moon river, so I don't know the area specifically. That being said, generally, I find the pike to be not too far from their back bay spawning grounds this time of year. If ya find a shallow weedy area, troll spoons or a deep diving xrap 20 feet out into the deeper water. It's worked for me in the past, however, I haven't been up that way this year and I've heard that the typical seasonal haunts are late coming...you might want to try a little closer to those reeds.

Musky are there, troll BIG baits closer to drops and rock shoals.

I suck at moon walleye and couldn't catch one if my life depended on it. I tried it all, just no luck I guess :dunno:

Good luck out there. The moon is my favourite playground. The fishing can be tough at times but the serenity of the area is awsome.