I feel dumb

taper

As some of you may remember I was headed for the West end of Lake Erie Saturday morning, I got the family up and out the door by 4:30 and arrived at the Colchester ramp by 7. Got the boat in the water and headed out about 2 miles, everything was going very well. That is until I went to rig the first rod and realized that I had forgotten all 4 planer boards :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: . We tried flat lining behind the boat but it never works that well in Colchester and from what I heard from others the bite wasn't the best any ways so we only managed one pickeral and a bunch of silver bass. All the bass went back and the pickeral came home for lunch Sunday. It was a great day on the water and lunch was fantastic but I still feel like a dumb _ss.

hey it happens

This time of year you have a couple other options, if you use a swivel/keel sinker set up you can run harnesses and body baits down pretty good, right now you should be able to catch fish anywhere in the 45-60fow range fishing between 20-25 feet down. Long lining works pretty good to get down to that depth with line on the lighter side.

Also have you ever tried a 3 way "cheater rig" (what we call it)...if you run a deep diver, Hot-N Tot's work great for this....run the Hot-N-Tot on the bottom of the 3 way rig with a pretty long lead on it, say 8-10 feet then run a shorter lead off the top say 3-4 feet and hook a harness up to that one., you can't cast this set up out or drop it fast though or it gets all tangled to crap on ya. You have to slowly lower it in the water...get the diver to start to work and dig in, then slowly "back reel" your line off the spool until the diver is down and the harness starts working, then keep doing this until you have the desired amount of line out to be down a good distance.

Welcome to the club Taper...My bro-in-law and fishing partner both agree that our minds must shift into "stupid" mode when we start thinking of going fishing...

Things like forgetting the auger when going icefishing...leaving the days lunch sitting on the kitchen table...etc. etc... :wallbash:

Welcome to the club Taper...My bro-in-law and fishing partner both agree that our minds must shift into "stupid" mode when we start thinking of going fishing...

Things like forgetting the auger when going icefishing...leaving the days lunch sitting on the kitchen table...etc. etc... :wallbash:

:lol: I once knew a guy who went duck hunting, and left his shotgun leaning up in the back porch.

Ohh well!!!!!!

I was a darned good spotter that day :whistling:

Guest Johnny Bass

We've all done something like that.I honestly know people that left their rods at home! Glad to hear you still caught some fish. Thanks for sharing.

Just last week, Bly and I hurriedly got all our gear together to hit a local carp spot.

The whole time, Bly keeps saying "I know I'm forgetting something".

We get to our spot...open the back of the CRV and start pulling gear out. I then said "Where are the rods?"

At that moment she remembered what we forgot....LOL.

There is some comfort in the fact that I'm not the only one that forgets. JWL the only problem is when I go to Colchester I only take my trolling gear with me and no extra stuff. So we didn't have any of the stuff you mentioned also the water in that area is about 35 feet deep at the most unless you make the long trek out toward Pelee island. I might try one more kick at the can this year before they head to the East. Any day fishing is better than a day working.

As some of you may remember I was headed for the West end of Lake Erie Saturday morning, I got the family up and out the door by 4:30 and arrived at the Colchester ramp by 7. Got the boat in the water and headed out about 2 miles, everything was going very well. That is until I went to rig the first rod and realized that I had forgotten all 4 planer boards :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: . We tried flat lining behind the boat but it never works that well in Colchester and from what I heard from others the bite wasn't the best any ways so we only managed one pickeral and a bunch of silver bass. All the bass went back and the pickeral came home for lunch Sunday. It was a great day on the water and lunch was fantastic but I still feel like a dumb _ss.

That's not that bad, thought you were going to say you drove to Colchester and forgot the keys to your boat!!!!

Went hunting one time, brought the dog, brought the gun, left the shells sitting on the counter at home. The dog sure wasn't impressed!

I can just see Andy looking at you like....hey...what's the problem...shoot THAT animal???

Let's see....I think I got my membership to the club when I once forgot to move one of the tackle boxes out of the way while unloading for some back lake fishing...told my buddy to hurry up and back the car up and go park it....CRUNCH! There goes the tackle box!