Curiosity more then anything

BITEME

Good Morning all

So im not going to go into detail but i will leave a link if you want to know more

1) how many people have a fixed marine VHF radio on their boat

2) do you have dsc capability

3) do you have a distress button

4) for those that have a Vhf Radio with DSC /Distress do you have your radio tied into a GPS/Chartplotter

5) last but not least do you have an MMSI #

Links

http://www.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/smt-gst.nsf/en/sf08138e.html

A good device to have on board

http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=85&encProdID=DB09EE62D98A27B5C8942B922E30709C&DivisionID=3&isArchived=0

You can get these at Masons Chandelry in Mississauga cost is roughly $250.00

http://www.thestoremasons.com/

dont mean to rant i just care thats all

Peter

Good Morning all

So im not going to go into detail but i will leave a link if you want to know more

Answer, not me, 12 ft. tinny, and 2 canoes

Answer, NOT

Answer, NO

4) for those that have a Vhf Radio with DSC /Distress do you have your radio tied into a GPS/Chartplotter

Answer, see above.

Answer, what does MMSI# mean???

Up here in the great northwest, get out of town 30 minutes, and you basically lose all communication with the city except in specific corridors on the Trans Canada Hwy. GPS's work just fine, but not cell phones or any marine VHF radio's inland. Out of the marina on Superior, not much of a problem.

Unless you are on fleetnet with the OPP, or own a satellite phone, you are on your own, always have been, and probably for my lifetime always will be.

We always let at least 2 other people know where we are headed, and when we "EXPECT" to return.

That can change dramatically when out hunting(got home at midnight one time, after downing a moose 5 minutes before legal time ended, and had to dress it out in the dark with disposable flashlights, that was fun).

It's usually not an issue when fishing though. Wherever we go, we always come across other anglers, bush workers, mining prospectors, etc. etc.

.............and if we would be in some distress be it physically, or vehicle problems, someone almost always comes by within 30 minutes.

Or, we just start walking toward civilization(been there, done that).

Good Morning all

Answer, not me, 12 ft. tinny, and 2 canoes

Answer, NOT

Answer, NO

Answer, see above.

Answer, what does MMSI# mean???Up here in the great northwest, get out of town 30 minutes, and you basically lose all communication with the city except in specific corridors on the Trans Canada Hwy. GPS's work just fine, but not cell phones or any marine VHF radio's inland. Out of the marina on Superior, not much of a problem.

Unless you are on fleetnet with the OPP, or own a satellite phone, you are on your own, always have been, and probably for my lifetime always will be.

We always let at least 2 other people know where we are headed, and when we "EXPECT" to return.

That can change dramatically when out hunting(got home at midnight one time, after downing a moose 5 minutes before legal time ended, and had to dress it out in the dark with disposable flashlights, that was fun).

It's usually not an issue when fishing though. Wherever we go, we always come across other anglers, bush workers, mining prospectors, etc. etc.

.............and if we would be in some distress be it physically, or vehicle problems, someone almost always comes by within 30 minutes.

Or, we just start walking toward civilization(been there, done that).

MMSI....Maritime Mobile Service Identities (MMSIs) assigned to Canadian vessels and coast stations by Industry Canada

It's a great idea for a lot of people, but I don't think Jeff & I will be investing.

We're on small lakes, and within easy sight of houses ~95% of the time. There's cell coverage where we are, and there's always 2 or 3 cell phones on board. At least 1 of the phones stays in a floating waterproof bag, and has gps location enabled.

My fixed marine radio has that option as its new but i do not have a plotter,or radar,but i do have a distress button,and i have gps as well,so im not worried about having it signed up,as its too complicated,but its good for boaters who travel long distances on the great lakes,or even ocean travel,im only out salmon fishing and like the other member said i fish all over so its only good where its availiable,not in all the inland lakes areas up n orth..great safetyoption though !!!!

Good Morning all

Links

http://www.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/smt-gst.nsf/en/sf08138e.html

A good device to have on board

http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=85&encProdID=DB09EE62D98A27B5C8942B922E30709C&DivisionID=3&isArchived=0

You can get these at Masons Chandelry in Mississauga cost is roughly $250.00

http://www.thestoremasons.com/

dont mean to rant i just care thats all

Peter

Literally just got all of the above up and running on the weekend including inputing the MMSI...I play on Lake Erie with young kids and figure it's a small price to pay for the benefit it provides.