Berkley Fireline Crystal

Hello All,

I've been thinking about buying and spooling up some Berkley Fireline Crystal. I'm posting to see what your thoughts are on this product. I've also heard that it is good at cutting/shaving weeds when you are finesse fishing, especially on thin diameters.

Here is what the Berkley website says about it:

The world's first translucent superline for near invisibility underwater Advanced technology FireLine is now 20 percent stronger than before. This thermal filament casts more easily, ties better knots, and stays more hassle-free than conventional braids. Along with exceptional strength, FireLine delivers ultimate sensitivity for instant feel, and the ultrathin diameter provides low visibility and incredible lure action.

So . . . . .

Do you like it?

Do you need a f.c. leader with Fireline Crystal for optimum results?

If you dislike it, what brands do you prefer, and would recommend over BFC?

Thanks as always,

Ryan

There's been a few threads about fireline, here's one:

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...amp;hl=fireline

I personally use fireline smoke and crystal myself and I'm pretty happy with it. The crystal which is suppose to be invisible in the water is not. The line is very strong and diameter is small so you can go for a very high lb test. I've landed 20+ lb salmon on my 10lb test fireline so A+ from me.

I find it quite thick compared to Powerpro of the same strength/weight.

It seems smoother and doesn't seem to get as fuzzy as the old gray Fireline.

When it came on the market there was a lot of talk about new and improved...

I haven't bought any Fireline since 2005, so the latest gray stuff might have the same improved finish as the Crystal.

I used 12 pound test without a leader, for Senko worms...the bass don't seem to mind

I have only used the 8lb test/ 3lb diameter crystal. I've used other firelines before and this spool was on sale. I use a mono or floro leader with it. It's on a 1000 stratic med/light set-up that I use for light jigs for walleye. No issues for me, but I don't know if there is much difference from the other firelines.

I use the 10lb crystal on my ultra-lite. Landed a 31" carp that I tail hooked while kayak fishing on it so I'm pretty confident. It's just so much easier than mono to deal with and casts great. I'm usually throwing a 1/16oz jig on that rod so casting distance is what it's all about.

Find it retains memory more then the smoke colour one and is a little harder to manage.

The spider wire ultra cast translucent is even worse. removed both from my reels and replaced them with power pro again, easier handling and not as much break in time required.