Should I......?

Bigworm

Hi Guys,

I have long been pondering the idea of taking my 14.5 foot alunimum out onto Lake O for some Salmon. Last year I bought all the equipment for it but haven't used it once. I have all summer off and would like to get out at least once to see how this whole thing works...and mabey even catch a fish. I figure with light winds/no winds, I could get out far enough without getting into trouble. I live in Hamilton and, from what I've read, I should be able to find some fish out of Bronte, Oakville or 50 point. The boat is a Grummann and is made of heavy aircraft aluminum. I am running a 15 Evinrude. Any suggestions would be much appreciated and if anyone has done this with a small boat before and is experienced in downrigging, shoot me an e-mail and mabey we can get out. [email protected]

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by Bigworm

OFF BRONTE go out and start at 75feet set up at 45 feet down and make zig zags out to 120 feet of water

spin doctors and flies are killing them some 30 plus fish on the weekend and was not unheard of 10 plus fish in a few hours

you will have no problem in the lake keep in mind its all a judgement call on your part

good luck lots of great fishing right now

I don't see why you couldn't get out and fish. Pay close attention to the weather before you go and even better have a weather radio with you to constantly monitor things while fishing. I grew up fishing on Lake Erie in a 14 ft boat and just use some common sense. Your best bet would have been in the spring when the fish are in shallower waters and closer to shore.

With that rig you are fine in light winds etc, I would not head too far out and watch the weather,

You need a depth finder I would head out too 80' and stay around that area,

Bronte is a great place cause of the drop off is close in shore.

PM me if you need more particulars, I am not a hardcore spoon puller but I am down there about 10-15 times a year

I will be posting a bronte update shortly. Stay tuned

Hey,

Although its not Lake Ontario, I live right next to Lake Superior, and a 14 foot, with 15hp johnson is all we had and we have always fished Superior. It is quite tricky in August when the winds pick up and we are trying to navigate through the mouth of the Michipicoten River. Needless to say we had some scarry moments, but those are few and far behind. Like it was said before, use your judjement. We have been fishing out there with waves that are quite large to say the least. The type when we go up we see everything, and when we go down in the swell....we see walls of water and nothing else. Getting a salmon in the boat with waves like that take patience and care, or you will be in the drink. Be safe and use your judjement.

Sometimes i would rather be in a small boat than a big boat out there.

Like most have said watch the weather and know when to call it quits. Also pick your put in spot carefully so that you can get to the depths that you want without going too far (hopefully the fish will be there!).

I don't think you want to be 5 miles out like we have been recently on Lake O (20 foot boat).

Play safe and bring in some fish.