How Evenly Is Your Home Heated? Hot Or Cold Spots??

lloyd

Hi,

Just wonder if your home is the same temperature in all rooms or do rooms feel different.

Rooms over garages are usually colder, Rooms with western exposure have more heat.

Do wood stoves help you ?

What kind of wood do you like to burn?

What are your rooms like??

Sarmoti..

When we first moved in here, the room above the garage was always hotter in the summer and colder in the winter. I insulated and drywalled the entire garage and that helped out greatly!

Our main floor (lots of windows), used to get really hot in the afternoon sun. We used to keep the blinds closed...kept it cooler, but it sucked we didn't get the natural sun in. I then coated the windows with a film that reflected the solar energy back out and still allowed some sunlight to get thru.

The basement is usually colder in both winter and summer, but we have a fireplace down there for winter.

The second story used to be hot in the summer, even with the central A/C there. I upgraded the blower motor from a 1/4 to a 1/3 hp, and now it's much better.

We keep different rooms at different temps, especially the bedrooms which we prefer cold. Our house is two level and is heated by a heat pump, so unless the resistance heaters turn on the air out of the ducts is never hot but luke warm to cool.

snow11404-4.JPG

I do use a supplemental propane fireplace to keep the lower lever rec room, and computer area warm, but unless the temp outside is -8 or more it gets turned on about 5 or 6PM and off when I decide to call it a night. I also have a small furnace in the garage should I decide to work out there...one of the better investments I made for the winter. In summer I would hope to never be without A/C.

We have NO AC, it gets fairly warm in the summer but certainly livable. In the winter we try to heat by wood about 50% of the time, in those cases the upstairs is cool, but very comfy for sleeping. When we heat with the furnace it is still cool upstairs and generally cool in the house. We keep the main area around 20 and the balance of the home cooler than that. It's a good idea to warm up a plate in this house prior to eating your toast!

Mind you, our home is over 100 years old. Nobody has had air conditiong and central heat was certainly an afterthought.

We love it.

My gaff is two thousand four hunded sq feet with five levels. I have Hight efficiancy gas plus AC. I would have to say the back room on the lowest floor is probably the coolest then of course there is the garage. But thats just for the van and freinds & family to smoke in so not to worried about that....lol......The back room on the fifth level is unfinished right now. My plan is to insulate and drywall the whole room then turn it into a english style pub. :D Just for freinds & family to come hang out in. Considering the size and how many levels i have the house pretty much stays warm through out. All my windows are double glazed so i think that for sure makes a huge difference.

This picture is the back of the my gaff, The roof you see behind the back roof is the roof to the front part of the house.

IMG_0036.jpg

Front

IMG_0026.jpg

My back yard.

VEIWIMG_0031.jpg

Living room.

livingroom.jpg

Dinning room

dinningroom.jpg

my den which is my fishing room...Ohh and my son eating...I just took this picture....lol

.. :Gonefishing::D

theden-1.jpg

Edited by nautifish

Back The roof you see behind the back roof is the roof to the front part of the house.

what the heck? Been into the sauce tonight Naughti :lol:

Is that the house you are going to have the B & B at?

Joey

I heat with wood so obviously the back room which is furthest from the wood stove is always the coolest, and the room with the stove is the warmest. I have a couple of portable heaters that I use when it gets really cold out, but for the most part it's warm enough without them.

Maureen

LOL Joey..

Well grl from the angle of that picture it looks like two houses side by side Well i think so anyway......lol When infact its the whole house front to back....or should i say back to front on that picture...LOL......As for sauce lol well i got up at 4.40 am this morning and am making spag ball.....How crazy is that at 4.40am.sheeshhhh..lol & Yes hon this is what is going to be the B&b :D

Edited by nautifish

Forced Air Heating and Cooling system. Only about 10yrs old. I have a 4 story back split, so the furnace is about 2.5 stories from the bedrooms upstairs.

They are always hot (summer) cold (winter). The rest of the house is rather even. When I did my reno's to the lower level I even had an assessment done and new trunk to distribute heat and air installed. It helped a little, but not enough. I really like my house so I live with it but I think something does need to be done about it.

I've been thinking I'm going to do what CCMCanada did get a larger blower, however the engineer's explain to me that its a volume of air issue so blowing more in will not help as the room is full of air already and the air return only removes so much air.

To the original poster. I feel your pain of uneven heat. My house is about 40yrs old, but I have friends in brand new executive homes (large and costly) that have the exact same issues.

I have a 2 storey home.

The 2 bedrooms at the front of the house on the second floor are always cooler in winter.

The rest is pretty much equal, except the basement. It's a bit cooler as well.

I have very little heat directed towards the basement, but it still stays fairly

warm in the winter.

My bedroom can get fairly warm, depending on how amourous I'm feeling. :w00t:

Some of the larger homes I work in do have multi furnace situations to heat various areas of the home (7-15,000 SQF) I realize that most are not looking to install a second or third furnace.. but there are things you can do :) Zone heating!!! it may cost some $$$ but it may be worth it and I have no idea about your portfolios so..basically it consists of dampers that open and close according to the rooms temp a room is cold?? Close off the rest of the house and heat that one room... of course this could vary depending on the amount of zones

Just a thought and I know frig all about HVAC... Just what I see and soak up

Gerritt.