Installing Bow Mount Trolling Motor....

ccmtcanada

I was just wondering out there how people have theirs mounted...placement-wise.

Most installations I have seen have bracket placed so that the trolling motor is right off the bow.

My predicament is that I have a bow light right at the end. Is there much performance issue of the trolling motor if I leave the light there and have the motor off on one side of the boat?

Here's a diagram of what I'm thinking of doing....

bracketplacement.jpg

I can put side bow lights on...extra expense I'd rather not have to take on....but I'd rather have a trolling motor that works well!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

It'll be fine like that, Cliff. I'd get it as close to the light as possible without rubbing up against it. I've found though that I've always needed to install the 12" pole light when there's a bowmount motor involved otherwise the starboard light is not visible to others.

....That's near exactly how mines installed Cliff and I don't have a bow light up front to deal with.

Just position it as close as you can to the light (center line) as Roy suggested in the stowed position so that the motor is running over the port (or starboard) gunnel. This will ensure it's not obstructing the floor space at the bow.

Yup, your fine Cliff.

Mine is the same way. Kind of off to the side a little. I did what Gary said, and kept it so the head of the motor is still inside the boat. I still have lots of room for the light, and my bow cleat on the deck.

Get that baby mounted and we should go try it out :)

Sinker

The mounting instructions (manufacturers opinion) that came with mine recommended install the motor as close to the nose of the bow as possible for better control:

DSC01279.jpg

I also like the shaft parallel to the gunwale for a cleaner looking installation, and it makes covering the boat easier. I like the prop to be clear of the deck incase of accidental starting.

DSC01278.jpg

These may not work in your circumstance, but may be something you'd want to consider if they will.

Edited by Greencoachdog

Thanks all!! I'm thinking of getting that 12" bow light that Roy suggested...calling around to a few places now to see what that's going to cost. I have a battery operated one right now that will work until I can get one installed.

Should have it done this afternoon.

ccmt: Same issue we had when installing a bowmount on my dad's 15' Legend..

He made a small deck that fit into the V shaped part of the bow and mounted the motor just off to the left side of the light.. It's been working great so far. I'll see if I can dig up a pic, it's a very simple setup.