-- Do U Snell yer own trailer hooks? --  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do U Snell yer own trailer hooks?

• I never use lures that require a trailer hook
    • I buy them pre-tied
    • I can tie a snell but don't bother
    • I tie my own snells to exact specifications
    • I use a different knot from the snell

I use a snell knot for tying worm harnesses, and for single hooks with an offset eye. I don't like offset eyes on hooks.....but some of the good hooks have the offsets. A snell knot takes care of them.

Sinker

I only use snelled hooks during summer, trolling for walleyes. I make my own worm harnesses, and make them with 2 hook set-ups.

The hook nearest the spinner blades is snelled, the trailing hook is just an improved clinch knot.

In my experience, pike don't care whether or not the last hook is snelled or not, they just bite through the line regardless, :lol:

I tie my own worm harnesses using the snell knot.I like to match my harnesses for the day.If the wallys are bitting short I can spread the hooks a little farther apart or put a treble on the back hook.I always like to play with bead and blade compinations as well.

I don't snell my trailer hooks, but, I usually have a couple hooks at different depths when ice-fishing my live bait line. I think I will try snelling those ones next winter...looks like it might prevent some tangles from feisy minnows.

Good poll, Jed!

I tie my own walleye rigs and salmon flys with the snell knot. Awsome knot, havent had any breaks off at the hook yet...knock on wood.

Sometimes having the trailer hook will make or break the day in terms of numbers