Flyfisher question

JohnF

I'm really looking forward to bass opener, as are many of you. I'm in a quandary though since Young Bill introduced me to the fly rod last week. I've been wanting to flyfish for a while now and having had a chance to put Bill's instruction to practice in my pool, I'm pretty comfortable with the casting part of it, tight loops and all.

My plan is to take the fly rod with me on opening day, barring hurricane winds, but I can't decide whether dawn or dusk would be better, or late afternoon. I'll probably hit the Thames twice that day. My problem is that I usually get in the water and wade quite a distance from the car, usually for a few hours, so carrying an extra rod isn't feasible. I figgered I'd do one walk with the fly rod and one with the spinning rod and so I'm asking you experts whether morning or evening would be best with the flyrod. I'm already familiar with the spots to look for bass in my river and since it's generally shallow I'm accustomed to topwater style baits.

So, that being asked, which patterns should I use? My selection is limited to a box of mainly dun-coloured bits of fuzz (ranging in size from smaller to ridiculously small) that a friend bought at a garage sale way back when. I'm prepared to go out and buy flies (until I learn to tie my own) but need to know where to start. I've had recommendations of crayfish patterns, and hooks starting from #8 but that suggests wet flyfishing. I picked up a few popper style flies at BPS before I had a clue what I was doing. I kinda like the idea of dry so I can see the little bug and have some kind of clue when a fish takes it. Is dry a waste of time for bass? I discovered in my box of flyfishing stuff (donated by my nephew who hasn't time for it right now) a reel with two spools, one wet, one dry, apparently the right weight, so I can go wet if I must, or Bill showed me how to a strike indicator for trout with dry line.

All advice, tips and hints appreciated.

JF

Look for shade, think FROGS & stumps! :canadian:

Shade I can arrange, but stumps are problematic. This is an old natural waterway that flushes itself pretty well each spring so it's mainly just rocks. My favourite spot has no shade but the grass and weeds grow tall on the shore right down into the water. That's usually a productive spot to cast into when the sun's behind the weeds. There's another spot with lots of overhanging trees that we'll try.

JF

Dang..river smallies is a whole other critter.

Use a sinking line in the deeper pools & try a streamer or woolly bugger. Dark patterns are good. Obviously in flat calm shallows a popper can be deadly but the majority of food is Minnows,craws & nymphs near bottom rocks.

Edited by danbo

Well in my limited smallie flyfishing experience I will say this... the afternoon will be easier to catch fish with flies than conventional gear... they turn off some and become less aggresive when it is hot, hence using streamers and wooly buggers... Any minnow/muddler pattern should do as should a couple crawfish patterns and in the morning a few topwater bugs (Grasshoppers) and poppers.

Well in my limited smallie flyfishing experience I will say this... the afternoon will be easier to catch fish with flies than conventional gear... they turn off some and become less aggresive when it is hot, hence using streamers and wooly buggers... Any minnow/muddler pattern should do as should a couple crawfish patterns and in the morning a few topwater bugs (Grasshoppers) and poppers.

Thanks Guru. And good luck with finals, and great luck at Lakair.

JF

John:

This site has lots of information: River Smallies

also check out Harry Murray's site under the FAQs, I have his book Fly fishing for Smallmouth Bass that I can lend you.

Dan

Thanks Dan. I've marked those pages and will start reading 'em tonite. I may have to take you up on the book loan offer. Are you far from Stratford. I'll check first at the local library in case they have it. Thanks

JF

I've been doing a bit of fly-fishing the last couple years. It's a pretty screwy way of fishing but it is fun and sometimes I will catch some on flies when I'm not getting anything fishing 'normal'.

I'm also wading all day and usually take both rods. I just hide one rod in the bushes while I fish up and down a stretch and then switch rods and do it again. It's a pain in the butt but it's better than being stuck with just the fly-rod. Plus, there are some spots that just call for throwing out a worm and sitting in the shade. :sleeping_02:

Ian James is a well known fly-fisher/author/guide that lives here in London (Ont.) and fishes the Thames a lot around here for smallmouths and carp. He has a lot of good information on his site, especially for beginners. I do pretty good with my version of his 'white puke fly'.

This should be his site http://www3.sympatico.ca/ianjames/

Good luck.

I've been doing a bit of fly-fishing the last couple years. It's a pretty screwy way of fishing but it is fun and sometimes I will catch some on flies when I'm not getting anything fishing 'normal'.

I'm also wading all day and usually take both rods. I just hide one rod in the bushes while I fish up and down a stretch and then switch rods and do it again. It's a pain in the butt but it's better than being stuck with just the fly-rod. Plus, there are some spots that just call for throwing out a worm and sitting in the shade. :sleeping_02:

Ian James is a well known fly-fisher/author/guide that lives here in London (Ont.) and fishes the Thames a lot around here for smallmouths and carp. He has a lot of good information on his site, especially for beginners. I do pretty good with my version of his 'white puke fly'.

This should be his site http://www3.sympatico.ca/ianjames/

Good luck.

I met Ian one night in St.Marys when we were both wading the river. He was, of course, flyfishing, for carp of all things. He kinda sniffed at my little bitty ultraultralite rig. I admit it's a pretty weeny combo (4 1/2 footer with absolutely no backbone and a little bitty golfball sized underslung trigger spin caster that holds about 75 yds of lite line. A minnow with attitude could overpower the drag system. I bought it at Dick's Sports for $14.95. It looks like a kid's setup, and perhaps it is, but it sure is fun with those little river bass, and I can carry it through the underbrush without hanging up all the time. My fishing buddy liked it so much he sent me back to get him one on the next trip to Cleveland. He wanted it for the kayak.

Thanks for reminding me. I was gonna get in touch with Ian for some of his flies. I'll do that right now.

JF

John,

PM me your address and I will send you some smallmouth flies. It doesn't need to be complicated: floating line will work fine and be far easier to cast, 6lb mono for a leader, a few topwaters and a few streamers is all you really need.

River fishing is really another beast altogether. Topwater will quite often work all day: you aren't calling fish up from 20' down.

John,

PM me your address and I will send you some smallmouth flies. It doesn't need to be complicated: floating line will work fine and be far easier to cast, 6lb mono for a leader, a few topwaters and a few streamers is all you really need.

River fishing is really another beast altogether. Topwater will quite often work all day: you aren't calling fish up from 20' down.

Very kind of you sir. PM sent.

Thanks

JF

Worm and a split shot, bottom bounce it, works really good.

Problem is worm will catch u a lot of small fish.

Is the bass openner this weekend or next one??

Opener's next week.

I'd have thought the worm & lead combo would be a tad heavy for flycasting.

JF

Opener's next week.

I'd have thought the worm & lead combo would be a tad heavy for flycasting.

JF

I was thinking medium action rod with a light spinning reel and bottom bouncing the worm.

Its a good chance i`ll head down your way on the long weekend one day if you are still up for some bass fishing.

You can use your fly rod i`ll just stay 30 feet away haha :whistling:

I was thinking medium action rod with a light spinning reel and bottom bouncing the worm.

Its a good chance i`ll head down your way on the long weekend one day if you are still up for some bass fishing.

You can use your fly rod i`ll just stay 30 feet away haha :whistling:

Let me know when you're coming. I may even defer to your safety concerns and take the spinning rod. :whistling:

JF

Let me know when you're coming. I may even defer to your safety concerns and take the spinning rod. :whistling:

JF

You might catch more bass on spinners lol :whistling:

I`ll bring a can of corn and try to get some carp swimming around in bass holes, Its an entertaining fight on light gear.

tight loops and all.

That's the secret words for the day. :clapping:

You'll want a stout 6 or 7 wheight rod and a bass taper wheight forward line, preferably nymph tip. I say nymph cause Scientific Anglers makes one that sinks slower than a lead core. A sink tip line in the conditions you've specified would make you want to toss your whole set up in the drink and reach for your spinning rod.

Also, you may have been encouraged to purchase a bass taper fly line if you'll be targeting bass. This taper is great if you're casting big bushy flies on a pond or a calm lake, with plenty of room for your back cast, but they're quite heavy and are somewhat difficult to mend in fast water. You won't be throwing bunny leeches and bucktails, so a heavy taper is not necessary. Go with a regular wheight forward taper, and add some shot if you wanna your fly to get down faster. This is the most versatile set-up IMHO, because you can work surface (poppers) or subsurface (buggers) and you don't require getting multiple tapers or several spools to carry them in.

Flies... Be sure to stock a good selection of black, brown and olive wollybuggers (beadheads are deadly and don't require adding more shot), mudler minnows, hellgramites and other assorted streamer patterns like rainbow smelts, deceivers, to name a few.

Hope this helps! Send me a pm if you have any other questions.

cheers

Tiiiight Loops

HD

You might catch more bass on spinners lol :whistling:

I`ll bring a can of corn and try to get some carp swimming around in bass holes, Its an entertaining fight on light gear.

I'm up for that too. Lots of carp where I hunt bass. I've got one pretty decent spinning rig with some backbone and a sensitive tip that might just be a lot of fun with 20# of carp trying to break it. Or there's a spot where two rivers meet where you can hunt carp in one pool and I can be 50' away on another pool usually good for some nice bass.

JF

That's the secret words for the day. :clapping:

You'll want a stout 6 or 7 wheight rod and a bass taper wheight forward line, preferably nymph tip. I say nymph cause Scientific Anglers makes one that sinks slower than a lead core. A sink tip line in the conditions you've specified would make you want to toss your whole set up in the drink and reach for your spinning rod.

Also, you may have been encouraged to purchase a bass taper fly line if you'll be targeting bass. This taper is great if you're casting big bushy flies on a pond or a calm lake, with plenty of room for your back cast, but they're quite heavy and are somewhat difficult to mend in fast water. You won't be throwing bunny leeches and bucktails, so a heavy taper is not necessary. Go with a regular wheight forward taper, and add some shot if you wanna your fly to get down faster. This is the most versatile set-up IMHO, because you can work surface (poppers) or subsurface (buggers) and you don't require getting multiple tapers or several spools to carry them in.

Flies... Be sure to stock a good selection of black, brown and olive wollybuggers (beadheads are deadly and don't require adding more shot), mudler minnows, hellgramites and other assorted streamer patterns like rainbow smelts, deceivers, to name a few.

Hope this helps! Send me a pm if you have any other questions.

cheers

Tiiiight Loops

HD

As long as my aged brain can keep processing all this input I'll be a bass/fly authority soon. :whistling:

Seriously, this stuff is great. I'm making notes. We'll start to put it to the test a week from Saturday. I'm really looking ofrward to it.

I don't expect wondrous results first time out, or perhaps even the second, but if I get skunked on my third time I'm firing all of you and going back to the spinning rod. Actually, I've got a new Quantum baitcaster that needs some practice. That might be my next challenge after the flyrod.

JF

As long as my aged brain can keep processing all this input I'll be a bass/fly authority soon.

Bahh.. Don't worry, you won't be casting chronomids on a 7x tippet for spooky browns.. this is after all smallie fishing. Keep it simple, focus on keeping your forearm tight to your side, and keep your wrist locked up, lower your tip as you are ending your forward cast, MEND, and repeat... Most of all, have fun!

Don't forget the kodak!!

cheers

H to the D