roid rage pike, big bass, and a wicked sunburn

kemper

Headed up to a friends cottage this weekend on simcoe, got there to find out the motor on the small boat had seized over the winter and was not going to work. Second option, take the $80 000 wakeboard boat out? After careful consideration it was decided that the whipping we would recieve from dad after getting fish slime on his leather seats was not worth it, so off the dock it was.

Early morning and late evening produced fish, and the only thing they would hit was a HUGE double blade musky spinnerbait that I tossed out as a joke. This thing was getting nailed every 5 casts from pike that were mostly less than 20". The pike were plentyfull but not worthy of a picture, although I did lose one pike that was in the mid 30" range. Heart stopper of the weekend was when this big but OOS bass decided he did not wish to wait for open season and SLAMMED my rediculously oversized spinnerbait the second it hit the water. By far the best fight I have got out of a largemouth, probably due to the cool water but this big gal fought like a smallie.

Picture doesnt do it justice, measured 19" which would put it right around 4 lbs.

med_gallery_256_231_15829.jpg

and some local pike action to boot, this one is not from simcoe...

med_gallery_256_231_232565.jpg

Thanks all,

also forgot to mention that I lost a PB bass, throwing a tiny spinner for panfish. Ultra lite rod and 4 lb test just did not give me the backbone I needed to keep her out of the weeds, I have caught quite a few bass in the 4 lb to 4lb 13oz range but I have never *officially* broken the 5 lb mark although I think I landed a smallie that was pushing 5 just had no scale. This bass was DEFINATELY in the 5 lb range and I almost cried when I saw my tiny little spinner in its HUGE yap, because I just knew it was not going to end up in my hands.

my point is I will MOST DEFINATELY be going back once the season is open, that lake owes me a 5 lber