question about boat numbers

Oktravis

I bought my first boat and I have a question about the license number. The old owner has just painted the number on the front. I’m going to change it but there is no ON for Ontario before the number on the boat or on my license papers.

Should I add the ON on the boat? I`m unsure because it’s not on the papers either

I added a pick of my ugly 16 ft. sea nymph with a 60 evanrude its not on the water yet its taking a lot more work than I thought

boat2.jpg

thanks

travis

Guest lundboy

ON is for an Ontario registration. That boat was probably registered federally. It will say on your paperwork which one it was registered under.

Edited by lundboy

Using ON in the registration numbers is fairly new... So I would not assume that is what your registration numbers begin with!!

It used to be you could tell where in the province a person was from based upon the first Numbers and a Letter..

IE. 46E *******

Service Ontario will be able to help you.

G.

Boats registered before 2007 used the old system as Gerritt explained....32E9876 (E for Ontario and 32 for Ottawa)

New boat license numbers will begin with provincial digraphs (MB, ON, NB) followed by digits . License information will be entered into a computer-based system which will be available to Coast Guard Search and Rescue.

When you apply for the license in your name you may,

1. keep the old number

2. request a new one to get into the government license database

3. enter old license numbers into the system

Ccmt and I opted for number 3, changing the number might be like changing the name....

You can't just change the number (add an ON in front) on your own. As Bly stated, the 80E was the old style for registering boats (pre 2007) but these old numbers remain until the boat is re-registered. You do have to change the registration to show you are the new owner but I think that you have the option of keeping the old style numbers.

I bought my first boat and I have a question about the license number. The old owner has just painted the number on the front. I’m going to change it but there is no ON for Ontario before the number on the boat or on my license papers.

Should I add the ON on the boat? I`m unsure because it’s not on the papers either

I added a pick of my ugly 16 ft. sea nymph with a 60 evanrude its not on the water yet its taking a lot more work than I thought

boat2.jpg

thanks

travis

Did the person you bought it from provide you with the original registration, bearing the number on the boat?

You take this form and proof of purchase to the closest Service Canada office and transfer the registration into your name.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/sc/boats...surecraft.shtml

Once this is completed, you must carry a photo copy of this NEW registration in your boat at all times. Failure is very $$$, like about 300 of those.

You will also be required to register the trailer in your name, the seller should have given you the registration and the licence plate, (unless he was planning on using it on another boat). When you register the trailer the MTO will collect PST & GST, hopefully you have the bill of sale with a low $$$ for the purchase.

Just JOHN

Thank you everybody for all the info. I have already changed the ownership of the boat in to my name through service Canada with the same number that it already had. I should have been more specific I am just changing the way the number is displayed on the boat.

The boat is licensed federally so I will stick to only what it says on my license

Thank you again

Travis

If you are re-licensing a boat, it means one of two things.. you bought it, in which case taxes are due.. or it was gifted to you.

If you bought it and you do not pay taxes on it... I have heard of cases where you will receive a letter in the mail years later.

you pay taxes on everything... including the boat.

I should add, the MTO collects the taxes

G

Edited by Gerritt

Right Moe.. Service Canada will not ask for Taxes.. but they do have on record you bought a boat.. The taxes are paid at the MTO..

If the Government knows you bought one (which they do from Service Canada) and you have not paid the taxes on it.. they will come after you to pay them.

If you add ON to the hull # you would be indicating it has a different reg. #, don't do that just leave it as is.

OFC'rs need to remember that you should also change your address with Service Canada in regards to your boat registration if you should happen to move. There is N/C for this, well at least there never used to be.