Anyone Wayching Euro 2008..NF

Mike01

I'm a big fan of international soccer. When Serbia is in the Euro or in the Worlds, I actually plan my vacation days around their games 'cuz I don't wanna miss 'em. Won't have to worry 'bout that THIS year thought.

Anyhoo, I'm gonna feel bad for any of the teams from the 'Group Of Death' to be out after the first round cuz I love watching Italy, Holand and France play. Kinda of a shame to have any of 'em out so early.

Ital is my team......got a whole bunch of us that go off down in toronto when they play...

Unfortunately. WE got SPANKED yesterday and we are in the group off death :wacko:

We didnt even play good @all yesterday... i think missing Cannavaro has something to do with it.

If anyone else im cheering for Poland. Lets see if they make it out of the rounds...

Lets see how Spain performs today, as they are another strong team in this tournament.

Me and my buddies always joke with our Portugese friends saying there flag is a fishing net LOL...

Edited by Pachone

I'm not a huge footbol fan, but even from the time I was young the World Cup captured my attention. In the last 10-15 years the Euro Cup and the Champions league also get me watching as well. I do have a very low tolerance for the theatrics any time a player comes with-in a step of another player :stretcher: . Always reminds me of a minnow in the bottom of the boat... or a pro rassler. :whistling:

Guest Johnny Bass

I have been watching bits and pieces, but I watched the Italy game. We were playing strong in the first few minutes of the game, but after that offside goal by Holland?Holland pretty much dominated. Well earned win. And if I am not mistaken, they did it without their best player. Robben...(IMO)

The officiating was satisfactory also. Why does Gattuso always provoke a yellow card from the refs? :rolleyes: He has to be more disciplined. I guess he is just very passionate about the sport.

Anyways, this is not the only bad start Italy has had. So we still have a good chance to make it through!

With Nesta retired and Carnavaro injured. We are lacking good defence. Panucci played sloppy, and Barzagli was invisible...

We have two amazing offensive defencemen in Materazzi and Grosso played an amazing game as usual.

Zambrotta played an excellent game but unfortunately got a yellow card. Gattuso as always, played great. Same thing goes with Pirlo. Camoranesi played well but started to run out of steam. They did well to substitute him. Cassano came in and played a dissapointing game. I wanted to see Aquilani up the wing.

Toni played well and almost always gets pulled down inside the box, so I would definately be looking to pass it to this guy in the box. Give Del Piero the start and let Di Natale finish. He works well under pressure. Del Piero does not...

So basically, we need better defence and to generate more offence, our midfielders were the only players that showed up to play.

The good news is that we can still make it. We need at least one win, but no loses. And we need lots of goals. The good news is that France and Romania are not known for goal scoring and they both have a tie with no goals to show, so with a few minor adjustments? Italy still has a chance!!!!

Guest Johnny Bass
Holland Owned Italy! I flew my dutch flag with pride yesterday :)

Little Italy was awash with tears... wooooohoooooo!

G

When was the last time you beat Italy?lol It was bound to happen sooner or later. Enjoy your bragging rights for now. :D

Edited by Johnny Bass

They made the right decision..... I can here Italy whining from the rooftops.. see below :)

UEFA back ref in Dutch opening goal dispute

Reuters

June 10, 2008 at 8:02 AM EDT

BASEL — Netherlands' controversial first goal in Monday's 3-0 Group C victory over world champions Italy at Euro 2008 was correctly awarded despite many observers believing it was offside, organizers UEFA said on Tuesday.

UEFA general secretary David Taylor told a news conference the officials correctly interpreted Law 11 which relates to offside when Ruud van Nistelrooy scored after 26 minutes.

He stated that Christian Panucci played him onside although the Italian defender was off the pitch at the time.

"The goal was correctly awarded. Not many people, even in the game, and I include the players, know this interpretation (of Law 11)," Taylor said.

He conceded, however: "The Law itself does not deal with this situation directly at all," but said that referees universally interpreted it in the way that the officials did on Monday night.

He said he had every sympathy with the wider footballing public for believing the officials called it wrong but said that Swedish referee Peter Frojdfeldt and his assistant Stefan Wittberg were absolutely correct in their interpretation.

Taylor told reporters: "Even though the Italian defender (Christian Panucci) was off the field because of his momentum, he is still deemed to be part of the game and is therefore taken into considersation as one of the last two defending players.

"As a result Ruud Van Nistelrooy was not nearer the opponents' goalline than the second last defender and therefore could not be in an offside position."

"This is a widely known interpretation of the offside law among referees but is not generally known by the wider footballing public and indeed many people in football," he said.

"That is understandable because incidents like this are very unusual.

"However, there was a similar incident in a Swiss League match about a month ago between Sion and FC Basel and after a TV commentator initially suggested the referee had made a mistake, he later apologised publicly and congratulations to him."

The goal caused confusion among both the Italian and Dutch players too, a number of whom looked astonished when the goal was awarded.

It also provoked some angry reaction among the Italian fans when it was replayed on the giant screens inside the Stade de Suisse stadium and led to Luca Toni being booked for dissent for protesting.

Taylor said his yellow card would stand and that goals would still be replayed on the screens throughout the tournament.

The International Football Association Board, the guardian of the game's laws, had the prerogative to examine the law if they thought the wording needed to be clarified or a loophole existed, Taylor said.

Guest Johnny Bass
They made the right decision..... I can here Italy whining from the rooftops.. see below :)

UEFA back ref in Dutch opening goal dispute

Ya, I heard about that. Panucci ran right off the field??Thats bizarre. I didn't even notice that. He played sloppy throughout the game.

Oh well. Like I said. Well earned win, enjoy. :)

But next time???? :clapping:

Edited by Johnny Bass

I like Portugal, Netherlands, Croatia, Germany. The only team I really don't like is Italy, and by dislike I mean close to hate. Their humiliating loss to the Netherlands almost brought tears of joy. Almost.

U seem to like many teams that Italy dominated for many years... might be the reasons of hate? :P

Netherlands deserved the win, but it has been 30 years since

Ya, I heard about that. Panucci ran right off the field??Thats bizarre. I didn't even notice that. He played sloppy throughout the game.

Oh well. Like I said. Well earned win, enjoy. :)

But next time???? :clapping:

Panucci's jersey was touched by his own goalie and he went down like a sniper had taken him out. Italy has 2 more games still.

I'm going to go out on a limb and back the perennial underachieving chokers that are Spain. I think it was a wise decision by Aragones to drop Raul despite his recent hot form, as his presence tends to divide the factions (Catalan, Basque etc) that play under the national team banner, as well as intimidate the younger, up-and-coming players like Torres and Villa (who was in smoking hot form today). I think with their new-found spirit and lifted pressure (failure at the quarterfinal stage is almost anticipated if not expected), they will have a chance of going all the way if (and that's a big if) they make if out of the quarters (as they will have beaten the contenders from the Group of Death). Technically, they are the most gifted team in the Euros, and at least on paper, have the strongest midfield and front line, as well as the world's best keeper in Iker Casillas.

Edited by WalleyeMD