My first Musky Experience

Stoty

Well, I headed out yesterday morning for my very first "Musky Opener".

Man, they weren't lying about them being the fish of 10,000 casts. I guess I must have made 9,999 casts then, because I didn't get one. :(

But, I did have quite the experience with one though.

I was mainly using the trolling motor scotting around islands and such.

But I got on a good line of wind, and just drifted between two islands without using the motor.

So I am faced looking left in the boat, and then WHAM! my trolling motor hits something. I thought it was a rock ledge (being Stoney Lake). It scared the be-jesus out of me!

I turned around and looked down at the motor to see this GIANT musky looking up at me! As soon as he saw me SPLASH he was gone.

I guess the Musky swam right into my trolling motor!!! :lol:

I think Stoney must hold a lot of muskie, cuz I've eyed 3 of them in about 7 times on the lake. I remember the first time it was early spring, we were in about 3 fow only and 2 MAMMOTH fish were in the water coulda only been muskie, soon as we got close they darted out quicktime, that was very cool.

That's musky fishing. We had a newbie out for his first time as well. He hooked one and fought it for 8 seconds before it got off. We all told him that "you're not supposed to land your first musky" so he wouldn't be upset.

Your story is a great reason to remember to figure 8 after avery cast. I had a mid 30's inch fish follow and stop at the boat. When I started to figure 8 he just took off. As I watched it go a 42" hit my bucktail from under the boat. No wonder the smaller musky bolted.

Guest Johnny Bass

We were this close to heading for Stony on opener but opted for and easier Musky lake. Plus I have only caught a few scrauny musky's on Stoney. Only been twice and still have to figure the lake out. Did you try for any pickeral?

I wouldnt be suprised if he hit the trolling motor prop Ive heard of hit happeneing before. And once on a week long excursion. Every day we came to this perfect spot the same musky would show up and sit just back on of the stainless steel prop on my 250 Johnson and just stare at it for 5 minutes as it slowly turned as we moved with the trolling motor. I actually think he was planning on hitting it if the boat wasnt right there.

Atta boy Stoty, you did better than you thought! They may be the fish of 10,000 casts, but you beat those odds easy as they are also the fish of 20,000 trolling motors. Congratulations champ!

Last fall a buddy and I were fishing muskie in Pigeon, and had the same fish follow up 4 times to the boat. The second time it followed up my buddy's bait first, and while he was doing figure 8's I reeled up to the boat only to see the fish start to swim away. I started doing figure 8's myself and got the fish to turn back and bolt right past my suick and right at the trolling motor. Never seen or even heard of that before, but with your report, I'm sure it happens fairly often.