~~~Broken Trailer Bunks

oldphart

~~~Both of my trailer bunks are broken one at each end, and I'll have to replace them, wondering has anyone thought of using plastic 2x4s instead of wood, wondering about the cost, and will I need to put outdoor carpeting on them, a buddy has also 2 broken bunks, wants to try them

Spruce will rot again, get cedar, not that much more expensive and then go and get some of those UHDP plastic strips. BPro has them, I think the name is Glyde Sticks. I have them on mine, an easy tap on the brakes or push on the bow and off the boat slides. All carpeting does is retain water and makes the wood rot faster.

I used PT on mine. Should be good for a long time. Cedar will last a long time, but its much softer than PT spruce. I'm not sure about the engineered stuff your talking about, I don't think it has the same rigidity as normal lumber.....it might be the cats meow though.....make sure you find out before you put the bunk bracket thru your hull though!!!!

I put carpet back on, because I don't want my boat sliding off the trailer as I back it down. My normal routine is to unhook everything, and dump the boat in.....it comes off just fine, and goes back on just as easy.

Sinker

I also have PT on mine. Make sure u seal the ends if u cut them to size Not sure what that green stuff is called though

I assume that PT means pressure treated. Doesn't pressure treated corrode aluminum? Should be okay for fibreglass.

I assume that PT means pressure treated. Doesn't pressure treated corrode aluminum? Should be okay for fibreglass.

I've had PT lumber in my boat for the last 5 years with no ill effects whatsoever, and I've kept a close eye on it. My whole floor is PT.......no probs. I don't know anyone who has had a problem, and I've never heard of anyone who's had a problem. I think its all a farce to get people buying marine grade ply, which costs 3 times more!!!

Besides, its wrapped in carpet on the bunks.

Sinker

My trailer came with regular wood bunks that lasted only about 6-7 years. I replaced with pressure treated 2x4's and of course wrapped them with carpet. Now about 15-16 years later the wood is hold up very nice with some of the carpet showing wear near the ends at the water end of the bunk.

I NEVER put my hubs in the water so I don't have to worry about my wheel bearing. So I spray silicone on the bunks once a year and this works VERY well but I also grease my rollers. I took off the one pressed cap and drill a hole in each roller shaft and put in cotter pins for easy removal to grease them when needed. They should be greased sometime this year as it hasn't been done in several years.