Im Back in

holdfast

Well done Holdfast!

I declined the SRR option when I left the CF in 1992.

Wonder how much the program has changed since that time.

I was told you keep your kit, could be activated at any time, one full week training/exercise a year and something once a month.

Your experience will be a big benefit for the Regiment.

Where does the time go eh?

Edited by JeffBornFishin

Basically if you opt for Supplementary Reserve upon Release, the Military will hang onto your docs up to 2 years. It makes volunteering easier for everybody as you go directly back in to either the Reserve or Reg forces. The only thing they allowed me to keep was my ceremonial uniform (CFs) and footwear. What I did was in February, I contacted the North Sask Regiment, and it seemed that a few pers knew me as I probably taught them or they were part of my staff when I instructed in the Battle School. The Commanding Officer then contacted me said he heard a lot of good things about me, and then stated although I am not Infantry he had a position for a Combat Arms Warrant Officer in which I could fill. You have to realize that a Unit has so much of a Budget and they're just not going to take anyone as they are also responsible for pay and any other expenses incurred. Basically, if you re-enrol, you have to fill a position in which the CO must request through Brigade. As far as obligations, I am not to sure, but you definitely have to show up so many times at a certain period of time otherwise your contract is ripped. Presently the Canadian Armed Forces are so Tasked, that a Reservist has an excellent chance to fill in as a Reg force member for a certain period of time up to a two year contract. This includes over Seas Missions, especially Afghanistan. But the good thing about it, is that you have a choice. Unfortunately unlike the Americans, you can loose your job at home, as our employers are not legally obligated to keep you if you go on the call of duty. It is so hard to get a reservist trained as their priority is either their job or schooling. But the training they do get is exactly the same as a Reg Force however some courses may be shorter which can become a problem.

I'll be finishing my 20 years Regular Force service in April 09. I have enjoyed the time and look forward to many more years service as a reservist. I had three tours, Bosnia, Kosovo, and the Middle East. There is no other job like it. I thank you all for your kind words of respect, as I recall the days when the military was not as well regarded.

Tony

I'll be finishing my 20 years Regular Force service in April 09. I have enjoyed the time and look forward to many more years service as a reservist. I had three tours, Bosnia, Kosovo, and the Middle East. There is no other job like it. I thank you all for your kind words of respect, as I recall the days when the military was not as well regarded.

Tony

Im interested, Ill PM you once the weeknd is done, gotta work now, Thanks

Unfortunately unlike the Americans, you can loose your job at home, as our employers are not legally obligated to keep you if you go on the call of duty.

I've heard that this is something that the government is being pressed to change, hopefully it does....

I've heard that this is something that the government is being pressed to change, hopefully it does....

Yea sure, like not loosing your Military Pension when old Age pension Kicks in, or having your Military Pension indexed? In the courts for years and nothing.