Hackett Lake SK Report

holdfast

Well this is the 3rd weekend now since opening day and I decided to try out Hackett lake. This lake last year gave me the best pickerel fishing I ever had. My daughter had accompanied me for a rare fishing trip together and luckily we were onto lots of eating size Pickerel. So me and the Rat Dog (Red) loaded up the truck and ventured about a 40 Min drive North of my Trailer in Big River.

This lake is not huge by any stretch of the imagination, but there was only myself and maybe two other boaters at any given time while I was out there for about six hours on Saturday. There is an excellent Boat Launch. The day ended up extremely windy and it was cool.

1.jpg

This is a really nice camp site. Here the cost to stay and park hasn't changed from last year. There is only one road in and out of this lake, so Mr Conservation Officer just has to park and wait for people to come in.

2.jpg

On the sign there is a picture of the lake and the camp site is on the lower right side. I found a sunken island that would go from 2 ft to 20 in a 5ft Span. Last year I would sit by the Ledge and fish the deep water using dead salted Minnows

3.jpg

Here is a picture of a Fish Cleaning Hut. One time I was fishing in Alberta and decided to catch and clean a pickerel for shore lunch in the boat. Luck would have it that it started to rain and I headed back to the dock and Mr Conservation Officer ticketed me for not leaving any skin on the Pickerel for ID. $250 fine. He was sitting right beside the fish table. Bad Luck and a lesson learned the hard way

4.jpg

You got everything but the knife to clean your fish. It seems everybody eats Jack, here out West

5.jpg

Here's a couple of interesting pictures that I took from a collage posted inside, dated 2001 and 2002

[6.jpg

7.jpg

Inside the Fish Hut, is also a sign on transporting fish and limits. 3 Pickerel per person on this lake from the normal 6. A change for this year. You got to be stupid (or blind) not know the regulations. Its in plain simple English.

8.jpg

I was impressed with this guys camp site, after talking with him I found out that he has been going to this camp for 22 years. He stays from May to Oct. I thought that was awesome. He says he lives a couple of miles south of Big River so he is not more than 30 minutes.

9.jpg

today's weapons. The Spider-cast and the Abu for trolling my bigger Plugs. My Daiwa SS Tournament with an extremely light Eagle Claw rod I'll use for bait fishing. The Mitchell 300 for casting. By the way I picked up a second 300 for 15 dollars at Walmarts.

11.jpg

I will troll for most of the day and here are the tackle I will use. I ended up starting with my favorite a 6'' floating Perch Rapala, then a jointed black and ended up with an Orange jointed.

12.jpg

13.jpg

I was trolling between 6 and 20 feet of water with most of my hits at 8 feet. I would Parallel the shoreline and enjoy the scenery but wished the wind would die down.

10.jpg

It didnt take long for my first hit. A small jack but legal for eating. Today was catch and release for me

It didnt matter what Rapala I used, I kept getting small jack. I was wondering if I would ever get a pickerel. I even Bait fished a while but still no Pickerel. I even used a small jointed Rapala and got a hit. As I pulled it in it seemed to get really heavy and was spitting out line. Finally I pulled in an 18 inch Pike with a nasty gash in the middle that was 1/3 deep. Yea I had a Monster take him. He let go before I could take a picture of the wound. It got me to thinking. I wish I had the photo as I would of sent it to P3TA with thwe caption Dog eat Dog world. Stop changing it.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Speaking of Rodents. If I were her I wouldn't get to close.

17.jpg

I kind of wondered where my fish had disappeared.

18.jpg

So I decided to change to an Orange Rapala and wham. Got my first season Pickerel. It was about seven in the evening and I was ready to give up. Its about time

19.jpg

Now if I was the rat I wouldn't get too close to those dorsal fins. She loves to snap at fish but shell never get too close. A Chicken dog but she loves the outdoors.

20.jpg

This fish made the whole day. A beaut on an Orange Jointed rapala on my way back to the Dock. Don't know whose uglier, the fish or the dude missing half of his front teeth

21.jpg

All in all not a bad day. We seen lots of deer on the way back and the Rat was vigilant as we headed back. Next weeks plan is to head out somewhere where my neighbor decides to pick. Hum I don't know him but Ill make sure he has his Licence. He asked me last year If i wanted to hunt beaver with him, but I never went as he said he didnt need a permit as he is native. Yea Ill check my arcs I think. Till next report.

22.jpg