Another leader question

forrest

I need some help and know there will be some light tackle guy here...leaving lures in a pike's mouth sucks.

Fishing for pike without a leader? It can be done in certain circumstances.....just not when using a hard bait with double trebles, those lures seem to put the line right in the fishes mouth:

These are small pike, 24" max....I am using 4lb mono and want the lightest possible (and most bouyant) leader possible floating would be great.

How low on the flouro can I go?

Will braiding it help (doesn't that screw up the lines invisibility)? other options?

forrest

Edited by forrest

I think I would feel comfortable with all but trophy pike at 80. Going down...60 should do most pike. 40....ahhh? You hit the one over 2 ft and lose it and you will regret going too light.

Edited by scuro

I think I would feel comfortable with all but trophy pike at 80. Going down...60 should do most pike. 40....ahhh? You hit the one over 2 ft and lose it and you will regret going too light.

40lb flouro :w00t: ? That wouldn't even fit through the eye of my lure. Running a light setup here (4lb test on a 5 ft rod). Not normal pike fishing....this is midget pike fishing.

Maybe one of those elitist fly-fishing guys (come on...you know your special :P ) have some say on this?

forrest

Edited by forrest

Get some braid. Small diameter, but strong. Get it in the same diameter as the mono your using, and it will be close to 20lb test. Even just a 12" piece as a leader will be better than 4lb mono. 4lb for pike is just asking for it....LOL.

Why not just up your mono a little?

Sinker

Yup thats your problem 4lb mono for pike(wrong)may as well send the clippers out with the lure.

I use 30lb Stren super braid with a 9lb diameter.

I don't like to use leaders I have hooked into plenty of gators like you target lure hooked deep and the braid rubbing against its teeth

but it managed to hang tough.If that was mono by by.

If you want to use mono then use a 6 to 8 inch steel leader and upgrade to trilene extra touch mono(10lb test) from Berkley.

Believe me Pike are not line shy they are the easiest fish to catch I am sure if you through out a thick nylon rope with lure the

gators will bite it :blink:

Now go get some gators and send us some pics will ya :canadian:

Edited by Mike the Pike

Cortland makes a leader material geared towards flyfisherman that consists of a pliable wire with a plastic coated in either green or grey. It's called Toothy Critter I believe and there's another similar product under the brang Tyger. Knots can be tied, but tend to kink the wire. This can be solved by heating the wire up with a lighter ad straitening out. Otherwise, you can look up American Fishing Wire on the internet. They make a variety of products for toothy fishing, and I really love their wire.

Edited by BabyHerc

All good info guys :thumbsup_anim: . I am going to experiment.....I was trying to mix in some crappie fishing with the pike but that may be a no go.

I am not fly fishing (yet) but I was figuring (maybe like Glen) that the fly fishing guys would have the upper hand on this since they throw a lot of flies that they want to float.

forrest