Late Deer Report "the Best Year Ever"

oxcowboy

This is a late deer report, i was hoping to make it a little better with muzzle loading season, but never got to go out again. fktmp8_0010.jpg this is the buck i took opening day, i also took a doe with a shattered lower front leg (kind of a mercy killing) late in the week. the buck was a small racked 8 point, so your probably thinking that this guy must be a bad hunter, or doesnt get out much, if this was the best hunting year ever. But this was also the first year i could take my stepson ethan with me. he just turned 5 in november and is an outdoor nut. e.jpg he loves fishing and deer hunting, and i have been lucky enough to help guide him through some of his first outdoor activities. he caught is 1st "little mouth bass" this past summer, as well as a catfish, drum and sucker. this year of gun season he was so excited about going out with me, and i took him to my hunting blind opening afternoon, it was real slow, we didnt see anything for about 4 straight hours, so you can imagine he was getting a little bored, then all of the sudden i seen this little buck comming through the brush. Ethan's eyes were as big as basketballs, and he kept saying shoot it, shoot it. i wouldnt have took a deer this young normally, but i figured this would be as good a chance to get one with him with me as i would get so i let it have it at about 30 yds. when i shot, i jumped out of the front of the blind, and E came out the side yelling big buck, big buck. he was so proud of this deer and couldnt wait to tell papaw and mommy all about the hunt. e1.jpg There is really nothing better than spending time with the young ones in the outdoors. i hope this wasnt too long for you all, but it is a special memory for me and him.

jason

P.S. He is pumped about his 1st ontario fishing trip, we may try to make the g2g in june. thats all he's talked about the past 2 days. Will there be any other smaller children there this year?

I'm sure the youngster will make a fine hunter one day.

That's a sweet buck. I'm sure it will make quite a few nice meals for the family.

My son is seven, but I haven't thought of taking him with me just yet.

I usually bow hunt for deer, so a bit tamer than a rifle or shotgun. I believe the minimum legal age to get your hunting license is still 12, but it may have changed recently. Of course, at that age you would need a parents consent and I'm sure an adult hunter as supervision in the field.

Mom isn't too keen on the idea. :dunno:

She'd rather see him play tennis or something like that. :rolleyes:

We're a dying breed.

Keep your stepson interested and one day, he'll be taking you hunting.

Thanks guys,

he is really into it, i hope he continues to stay interested as he gets older. he also isnt a bit squimish about the dirty part of it either, he helped hold the legs during field dressing and was ready to eat a venison steak that night. he's quite the game eater.

jason

Great stuff! I can't wait to take my daughter out with me in a few years... This summer I think I may take her out to the gun club with me...

Don't take this the wrong way, but teach the young one lots of safety... like keeping his fingers off the trigger :)

cd.

your absolutely right corey! :D he was doing good just to lift it though, its an old browing sweet 16 pretty heavy for the little guy. it was unloaded and the safety was on. But i know you can never be to careful.

jason