So who fished the tournament on Sturgeon today?

Big Cliff

Watched between 40 and 50 boats head out this morning from just about in front of our place. Not one of them pulled up to our dock and asked for any information. Too bad unless you were the winner LOL.

It always amazes me that the tournament fisherman will spend so much money on gear then not bother to work the basics, the locals! Anyway hope you all had fun , it was a picture perfect day, now I have to go catch some walleye for supper.

Big Cliff

Guest Fishing For Life

MY buddy & I were fishing there all day yesterday ...

got skunked ... and didnt even see anyone catching as well ..

do we just suck or it was a bad day?

Watched between 40 and 50 boats head out this morning from just about in front of our place. Not one of them pulled up to our dock and asked for any information. Too bad unless you were the winner LOL.

It always amazes me that the tournament fisherman will spend so much money on gear then not bother to work the basics, the locals! Anyway hope you all had fun , it was a picture perfect day, now I have to go catch some walleye for supper.

Big Cliff

They dont ask for 1 very good reason ITS AGAINST THE RULES. Rules are set up so that because a person knows people on the lake, they dont get an unfair advantage by having all their friends telling them where the fish are and what to use.

Its the same reason the Lady Bassmaster would not talk to GCD about fishing the tourny she was in, besides his comment about how she wasnt cathing fish and he was slaying them were kind of funny, she wasnt trying to hook fish, just looking for them, and if he was catching them I gaurante any of the Ladies on the Bassmaster tour would be more than happy to school him on catching fish nexted to a Dam,lol

And as much as you may have had some good info Cliff, as far as advice on where and how to catch fish, from most people, is worth exactly what the advice cost Zero

Guest skeeter99

it is not against the rules!!!!

why do you think certain individuals and teams always do well in tournaments, walk into any baitshop /diner close to the lake and they will tell you were to start

it is called homework, reconisance!!!! get all the information about a lake as you can, in fact the internet fish borads are a great resource

if you do not get this info you are basically cheating yourself and wasting your money just to give to the top competitors

so what you are saying is that local boys cannot fish that tournament because they have a adavantage? of being local etc.?

all the top teams have other friends fishing for them earlier in the week and share etc giving waypoints and baits

there is only one rule that I know of and that is in the pro-am format and am's cannot tell were they where fishing with the pro's

47. AM’s are not permitted use of GPS units during event.

AM’s who share their PRO’s fishing locations during the

event with other competitors will be disqualified along

with persons utilizing this information

I have been fishing these tournies for years and even on some days other competitors will tell you were to fish

Edited by skeeter99

it is not against the rules!!!!

why do you think certain individuals and teams always do well in tournaments, walk into any baitshop /diner close to the lake and they will tell you were to start

it is called homework, reconisance!!!! get all the information about a lake as you can, in fact the internet fish borads are a great resource

if you do not get this info you are basically cheating yourself and wasting your money just to give to the top competitors

so what you are saying is that local boys cannot fish that tournament because they have a adavantage? of being local etc.?

all the top teams have other friends fishing for them earlier in the week and share etc giving waypoints and baits

there is only one rule that I know of and that is in the pro-am format and am's cannot tell were they where fishing with the pro's

47. AM’s are not permitted use of GPS units during event.

AM’s who share their PRO’s fishing locations during the

event with other competitors will be disqualified along

with persons utilizing this information

I have been fishing these tournies for years and even on some days other competitors will tell you were to fish

Well I dont know what tournaments you fishbut next one check the rules, because such rules do apply,CSFL Rule#10 THERE SHALL BE NO ADVANTAGEOUS THIRD PARTY COMMUNICATION ON OR OFF THE WATER DURING THE EVENT WITH COMPETING OR NON COMPETING INDIVIDUALS. DOING SO MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION

So Sorry! I didn't realize that tourny fishermen weren't allowed to talk to any locals about the fishing or I would never have made that comment. I stand corrected! I apologize if I offended anyone!

Hope everyone had a good day, the weather sure was perfict!

You did nothing to apologize for, Its a new rule and more sreies will follow, and they could talk to you all they want in the days leading up to the event (prefish).

But a lot of tournament anglers have learnt that when you talk to folks on their docks about where the fishing is best, its always on the other sidw of the lake,LOL

Todays tournament was the canada_us. walleye tournament its one of the oldest in canada and has been going i think for close to 40yrs,it alternates lakes every year between sturgeon & pidgeon lakes,and some of the top anglers in the usa & canada have fished it in the past,when i was a kid my grandparents always took me to the weigh ins,and to see all the newest boats & eqiptment,it was my dream to be a tournament walleye fisherman back then !!!!!...well i hope that there was some decent fish weighed in,as at least the weather was perfect !!!! cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Guest skeeter99

heres is a tip for you tournament guys when there is another team blocking off the area you wish to fish

because of the 100 or 150 foot rule between boats fishing

put on your lifejackets and fire up the big engine and pass the boat to get by

it falls under the rule of "in transit" to fishing area (must have lifejacket on and engine running to do this)

it is a dirty trick and the other guys will be ticked off but is totally legal since you were in transit to your fishing hole, kinda bending the rules to your advantage

it has happened to me twice that I can remember, and have only employed it once in my favour

Edited by skeeter99

it is a dirty trick and the other guys will be ticked off but is totally legal since you were in transit to your fishing hole, kinda bending the rules to your advantage

Just another reason that I don't fish competitively.

Guest skeeter99

hey it is just the rules, it is just how you use them

I remeber when I played for the toronto marliess AAA in the mthl

everytime we would go to the u.s on a hockey tournament we would use there own rules against them

most hockey back then was playyed under NCAA rules meaning no blueline in the u.s. (so there was no such thing as a 2 line pass)

so we would when down by a goal and the face-off was in our own end and our bench was on the oopposite end of the rink we would purposely put 4 skaters on the ice for the draw (if the other team did not notice)and as soon as the puck is dropped the 5th skater just onto the ice (as if it was a mistake) if my team won the draw just dump the puck up ice and instant break-away, they cried foul but there is no rules saying how many men must be on the ice

we nicknamed the play the fumble-roosky

we won a tournament in chicago this exact way

so wether fishing/hockey/work etc.. rules can be used to help you good or bad

so you say that is why you do not competively fish I am sure you use rules to help at work and on the road?, the trick is to understand the rules completely and find grey areas to use to your advantage

and the young tournament guys on the lake thing, you would be very suprised that the younger ones are much more timid and will not bend rules, unlike alot of older and well known names(you would be very suprised who is doing the screaming and yelling at other guys in tournies) the older guys think they are gods out there or something

dont take this post the wrong way, just stating my opinions and observations I dont want to piss anyboday off :thumbsup_anim: