boat licence?

Nope :)

??????????????????????? WHYS THAT???????????????????

Yes.lets get it on.

Boat owners have to apply and get a lic,but those that rent from a resort do not. WHY IS THAT??????????????????

I want to know why we spend money to have our toys and others can just play for free,well not for free,you still pay, I guess to play,but at others expence.

If Im out of line,I am sorry. Guess Im having a hard time with the way laws/rules are being implimented these days.

Edited by misfish

I have wondered this many times myself ---- doesn't it stand to reason that more boating accidents are caused by people who are unfamiliar with how to operate boats? And wouldn't those be people who rent them? Well, maybe not...I suppose a lot of us (myself included) rent boats when we are tired of paddling, or want to use something a little bigger. But still! Is it just a way to keep tourism dollars flowing?

I dunnno.....

It all depends on the size of the boat and the age of the person renting it,,,i am sure he is talking about the operators card!,,,if it is a 12 foot boat i think you need one! the reg is in meters

QUOTE(oncogene @ May 20 2008, 05:25 PM) *

Nope smile.gif

??????????????????????? WHYS THAT???????????????????

Thats the magic question....

The whole Darn thing is a cash grab.

It might have been exceptable had the idea been consistant, and regulated but as far as the current situation goes its a sham...and not even a very well thought out sham. <_<

Most rental boats are at least 14 footers, and dont fall into the length category for an operators card.

I think its 3 meters or less requires a license, thats less than 14ft.

So, no, you don't need the card for a rental.

Sinker

Most rental boats are at least 14 footers, and dont fall into the length category for an operators card.

Sinker

Hey Sinker

Little lake here.14-16 footers and poontoons with 15 hp motors and they rent to all.?????????????

Yes to all,weather yer 10 or 18.

Edited by misfish

Sinker

from http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/faq/other.htm#boating:

New boating safety regulations have been introduced by the federal government to help reduce the number of boating fatalities and accidents that occur each year. Highlights of the changes include the introduction of:

* minimum age limits for operating power boats above 10 horsepower and personal water craft;

* mandatory operator competency requirements, being phased in over 10 years, for operators of powered boats used for recreational purposes; and

* new minimum safety equipment and operation standards affecting all boats.

Like oncogene said....thats gonna change is what I hear too.

forrest

In any case, after Fall 2009 everyone will need one anyway...

Wrong. A Pleasure Craft Operators Card is only one of 3 proof of competency. The others are, proof of having completed a boating safety course in Canada prior to April 1, 1999 or A completed rental boat safety checklist (for power-driven vessels).

It all depends on the size of the boat and the age of the person renting it,,,i am sure he is talking about the operators card!,,,if it is a 12 foot boat i think you need one! the reg is in meters

Wrong. This part doesn't apply to rental boats from a resort.

Sinker

Sinker you are correct that a card is not required but it has nothing to do with the length. By the way it is 4 metres that trigger a need for a card for non rental boats. Age also plays a factor. After Sep. 14, 2009 age will also no longer play a role.

As a renter of a boat from a resort he will receive a "completed rental boat safety checklist (for power-driven vessels) which will be required to be carried on the boat as his proof of competency.

Best Wishes: Rick