Long Weekend Traffic

muskymike

So one of Gerritts response's got me thinking...he said he sat in traffic for a while.

So I started thinking of my longest long weekend drive.

about 5 years ago before the Moon River was complete and 69 was still 1 lane each way....it was the July 1st weekend and we stopped in Parry Sound for a bite to eat before the 4 hour drive due to traffic (or so we thought)

Well as soon as we got on 69, we did not get more then a half a km from the Bowes St. Exit and we were stopped.

11 hours to Stoney Creek/Hamilton from Parry sound.

I have taken 15 hours but due to car problems, but straight driving on a long weekend that was by far the worst I have ever endured and never want to do it again.

So whats your longest long weekend trip? from where?

Edited by MuskyMike

It wasn't a long weekend drive...but I did drive out to Edmonton then hitchhiked (with a friend) to Vancouver, was September of 1980. Northern Ontario is just beautiful but took the longest to get through. Hard to remember exactly how many days it took to reach Edmonton...but I believe it was 4 days of 16 hours each of driving. Then two rides to Vancouver. Drove in a Monte Carlo...very uncomfortable to car to ride in...for that distance...at least that model for that year.

Now...I am being flooded with memories :)

13 hours from my buddies place on Manitoulin Island. it was the Holiday weekend and there were a ton of accidents around Sudbury. We thought we were clear until we hit the traffic near Parry Sound all the way back to Cambridge.

Two hours from the Tim Hortons in Wasaga Beach to my House in Wasaga Beach. It was the Last Day of July 1st weekend and the Cityiots were racing to get home but going nowhere and I got stuck in the middle. Not the longest, but definitely the most aggravating.

Four days three nights.

From Harrogate north of england drove down TO DOVER OFF AT CALAIS france Detoured to belguim, germany France then into spain. Our final destination was San Pere pescadore southern spain. Beautiful drive especially through the south of france. Was in a motor home at the time. The only thing i did not like about the whole trip was at the camp sites the toilets were BLOODY HORRIBLE.......You walk in to a cubicle the walls and floors are all tiled. They're is a bar on each wall on either side of you and a bloody hole in the ground.

Nothing to sit on you just grab the bars and squat.........EUWWWWW!!..... :asshat:

Edited by nautifish

A couple summers ago, we drove from Moncton, N.B., to home in Toronto, 1500km, in 16 hours. I believe that's my longest straight through drive ever.

Last summer we drove over 16,000km in less than 5 weeks, from Toronto to Vancouver Island to Inuvik and back.

This summer its going to be Alice Springs, to Uluru, to Kakadu, to Cairns in Australia. About 5,500km, in about 2 weeks.

This is a funny story of one of our trips.

We were heading back to Richmond Hill from Burke's Falls (Near North Bay) and traffic was stop and go all the way (mostly stop). We were in the old truck that had no air conditioning and it was HOT, Africa Hot!!!

We had a friend who lives right on the highway in Washago, so we figured when we get to his house, we'll go visit and hope he has his air on. So we pull up the driveway and nobody answers the door but lo and behold, they have a nice above ground pool just calling us. So we stripped to our skivvies and jumped in. We were enjoying the cool after almost passing out from the heat all the way down and suddenly this old lady comes out of the house and says "Can I help you?"

We looked at each other and then back at the lady and said "I'm sorry, my friend used to live here and we were hot and knocked but he didn't answer so we didn't think he'd mind if we jumped in the pool to cool off."

It ended up she was his aunt house sitting for him while they were on vacation. She let us stay in the pool, although she didn't look happy.

Man was that embarassing.

Next time we went up to visit people in Washago at a party, whenever I was introduced to someone I didn't know they said "Oh, you're the one who scared Dave's aunt by skinny dipping in the pool." :lol:

I'd say the trip, minus the pool part, was about 6 or 7 hours, compared to 3.5.

Joey

Ive driven straight through to Labrador a couple times thats a good 22 hrs but by far the most harrowing and nerve wracking was 13 hrs to Temagami in March. Everything was fine down here a light rain and warm temps. It all changed to ice and snow at Gravenhurst. I spun out twice at low speeds and watched 2 vehicles wipe out right off the road. I dont think we went much faster than 20k an hour all the way to North Bay.