What to do !!

Nanook

Duck_Car2008_007__Small___2_.jpgI've noticed a Mallard hen around my property for a few days. Took notice of where she went, and this morning found her sitting on a nest, presumably on eggs.

We are a 10 min. walk for me from the nearest water.and she is in pretty rough brush.

I dont think the chicks will make it that far, plus the factor of Hawks and wild animals.

What would you do.

No....I dont like duck eggs for Brekkie!!!!

I would leave her be.. if you disturb her too much she is likely to abandon the nest.. nature being what it is will determine the fate of the Duck and her goslings.

G

Edited by Gerritt

I would leave them be, hard to transport her eggs if any to an area near water for that distance and keep her interest. Neighbor used to raise chicks, don`t know how old they were when purchased but near full grown in 6 or 7 weeks, darn things eat I guess as long as a light is on? If they are in heavy brush they may be pretty well protected?

Don`t know what baby ducks eat, but a feed store would, faster growth the faster they are out of there to a safe place? Our cats discourage any ground nesting birds but we still get the stop overs briefly.

alot better then the alternative Nanook,

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Cool pic, great to see your interest in the baby ducks well being....but I must agree with the others, best to let nature take its course. We have geese at the office a good 15 minute walk to the nearest creek (Bronte) the babies do fine, the ones that are not so strong. go back in the food chain.

Well I think you should build a duck pond in your back yard for those little chicks to swim and play in when they hatch!

Jack just let mother nature and mother duck take care of things and enjoy watching it all happen.