Carp Help

mattyk

I seen some carp down by the river where i fish, and there was some real big ones. So I was wondering if any has any good pictures of how to make a hair rig, and secondly a recipe that you are willing to share for a bollie. Thanks.

Egg sinker (1oz or bigger), single #4 to #8 hook with a few kernels of canned corn, hold on to your rod tight and don't trust your reflection thinking you can always grab the rod when a carp is on.

Hair rig is nice and easy, although I fish carp with it 100% of the time (when ledgering), it's not 100% necessary when using canned corn. It is more fun though.

some good links thier. I have just started using a hair rig and jsut want to ask when do you set the hook? I haven't got a bite on it yet so I don't know wheter to expect short tugs or one big one. Any advice?

Using Hair rig is a must, I was not able to set the hook the fish fast enough with the corn obstructing the hook, without using a hair rig. Use a decent braided line for your hair rig, using 20-30 lb mono might be too stiff

Chumming , I believe is also needed. Corn I bought was President choice brand, quite sweet. Edible for us while we are waiting for the fish to stike.

I just landed quite a few carp on monday, the corn out fish boilie that I made, and I end up using the boilie to chum the site instead. Use shrimp to capture catfish in the area, it outfish worms.

By Luck, I found similar to the Baiting needle or knit fixer in fabric store, it has a closing latch and very much needed on the hair rig, it is available at Fabricland or other fabric store, the baiting needle cost for $1.50. Other fishing site cost up to $12.

I added a single 1/4 oz split shot place 2 ft from the corn shot just enough weight to let it sink. All depending on the current.

For the stopper, I just use semi-rigid twig found in the area, using toothpick might be too hard, might be detectable by the fish.

The thug depends on the fish, some strong and some just mediocre, you will know it, they are not pan fish, Do not over set it, a slight pull is all you need to ensure hook set, and tightlines while fighting the fish, Carp has soft mouth, and you cannot force the fish to turn or it will break off their mouth.

The other buddy lost 5 catch from getting too excited fighting the fish.

good luck

Pine needles make an excellent stopper for me.... and are cheap and plentiful too. I made a baiting needle for about .50 cents using a piece of dowel and an old large sewing needle that I cut out part of the eye on. She ain't pretty but it does allow me to catch my one carp I go after each year in record time when I want to get one.... Although last year I got a 20+lber while I was floating a worm through an area that was holding perch and pike.... Kids were catching them all day on worms too, but apparently that ended the next night when a couple of carp experts went back to try their luck they did slay them on pineapple flavoured boilies though. I still can't figure out what all the fuss is about with carp though. One or two a year is enough just say I got one for yearly list.

One thing that i have noticed over the last couple of years that more and more people are fishing for carp and are open to discuss it, without thinking its a "garbage" fish.

Its a great thing because carp are such great and strong fish to fight on the line and gives you a heck of a fight.

some good links thier. I have just started using a hair rig and jsut want to ask when do you set the hook? I haven't got a bite on it yet so I don't know wheter to expect short tugs or one big one. Any advice?

it really depends on how the carp takes your bait ... but i find it's more often that they give you a strong tug rather than short small ones initially. Once the carp sense that it's being hooked, it will make a run for it for sure ... i have never had one that just sit there after it gets itself hooked. This all happens within like 5 seconds or so.

you might want to talk to cliff (ccmt) about this. he doesn't like to use bite alarms/indicators as he likes to feel all the action (nibbles, bumps, takes). I use my alarm all the time so all i hear is beeps ... he can give you more insight.

Using Hair rig is a must, I was not able to set the hook the fish fast enough with the corn obstructing the hook, without using a hair rig. Use a decent braided line for your hair rig, using 20-30 lb mono might be too stiff

good luck

Among braid, I often use 20-30lb mono or fluorocarbon for my hair rigs because of this stiff property. A hair rig tied from this material is harder for the fish to eject the baited hook than braid. The angle of the line coming out of the eye of the hook simulates the "bent hook" effect. With slight pressure, the hook will turn downwards in the fish's mouth and will hook the carp inside on the bottom lip - A hooking place where landing percentages are higher.

If you use a heavy enough weight (sinker) kept in a semi-fixed position, you don't have to set the hook. The weight does that for you even before picking the rod up. The idea is that you want the fish to feel the weight and 'bolt' off driving the hook deeper into its lip - You need 2oz minimum for this to work as well as intended.

Is there a season on carp? I don't see it in the magazine. And I'm taking it you are allowed to use corn as bait?

No season on carp but there are seasons on geographic regions where you can fish for them. You can fish for carp in Lake Ontario all year but the kawarthas close to all fishing (regardless of species) sometime in the fall and do not open till the last Saturday in April.

You are allowed to use corn as bait

Is there a season on carp? I don't see it in the magazine. And I'm taking it you are allowed to use corn as bait?

Nope, carp is open all year long at places where they dont' close fishing for the winter (examples would be ... rice lake, little lake, etc).. and Yes corn is allowed as bait.