pigeon lake

buckster

Gonna try fishing pigeon lake on opening day for pickeral......... ya u heard me lol :clapping: Ive fished it in the past and have never really managed more than 4-5 pics in a day. Was wondering what i am doing wrong i typically fish the north end of the lake and jig weed beds etc. Im not affraid to do some exploring! Im not looking for any honey holes or anything but just a general area and tactic would be great..... Should i head to the south end of the lake? Gannons narrows?

Thanks in advance Buckster

Ive fished it in the past and have never really managed more than 4-5 pics in a day.

Try pushing the shutter button more often......... :rolleyes::angel: Ya I know I'm an :asshat:

All I can advise is search for drop-offs and other likely structure. Have fun and enjoy the time on the water.

I owned a cottage on Pigeon in the south end. If you want to fish the south end, you should try the channel out in front of the boat launch at the end of Mallard Bay rd. There are bogs out in the middle of the lake and if you fish the channel from the most northernly end of the bogs toward the south you should have some luck. A lot of people fish the channel just north of that but I find there's so much pressure there that it's tough to catch fish. I have the most luck with fluorescent orange twisters and a weedless jig head. I just drop fish it in the holes and on the outside of weed beds and let it sit for at least 10 sec before moving it. Good luck.

I've always thought that one might get into some nice pickerel just out from the mouth of the river in Bobcaygeon...The river itself doesn't open for fishing for another week below the dam to the mouth of the river...(fish sanctuary)

Unfortunately my little 4 horsepower Mercury would take forever to get over there and that is providing the water was calm or I would give it a try...

Edited by Beans

Fish shallow, from 6-12' deep. Key on weedy, reedy shallow seeminly mucky type structure. The type of structure you wouldn't normally associate with walleye fishing. Reason being, that's where the warmest water, baitfish and hence the walleye will be at this time of year. Protected bays near known spawning areas are classic, as are shallow neckdown areas. If the spot has a southern exposure, even better.

The fish are recovering from the spawn and feeding but aren't on their summer spots yet, it's a transition period...

I prefer to fish on the move...not static. Preferred technique for me is to crawl along at a slow steady pace with the electric with either a very light jig tipped with a worm, or a spinner rig tipped with a worm. If particularly fishy looking areas are encountered stop and cast.

Remember go slow...

Listen to what solo said.

I'd stay close to the south end/river area. I have a feeling they will still be close to the river this year. If not there, head for the lake. Shallow water is going to be key with the high, cold water this year. Gannons narrows gets some spawners as well as Nogies creek.

I'm gonna start in the rivers, and work my way out to the first flats. Start with harnesses to find some, then try and jig them up. If that doesn't work, I'll go back to slow trolling spinners again. If they're not in the rivers or on the flats.......I'm going to simcoe for whities :)

Good luck,

Sinker

Fish shallow, from 6-12' deep. Key on weedy, reedy shallow seeminly mucky type structure. The type of structure you wouldn't normally associate with walleye fishing. Reason being, that's where the warmest water, baitfish and hence the walleye will be at this time of year. Protected bays near known spawning areas are classic, as are shallow neckdown areas. If the spot has a southern exposure, even better.

The fish are recovering from the spawn and feeding but aren't on their summer spots yet, it's a transition period...

I prefer to fish on the move...not static. Preferred technique for me is to crawl along at a slow steady pace with the electric with either a very light jig tipped with a worm, or a spinner rig tipped with a worm. If particularly fishy looking areas are encountered stop and cast.

Remember go slow...

:worthy: now solo knows his stuff well done.

You cant go wrong if you do what solo has said.

Good luck and happy fishing

Thanks sinker......... after looking at a chart i have a few places in mind. But simcoe Sounds pretty good aswell lol

I'd launch at Fee's landing, and head towards the lake from there at a slow troll. ...... .5-1.5 MPH seem to be the magic speed for me.......slower is better this time of year. Cranks work well too if the weeds aren't up too high.....which I suspect they won't be. If you can find fresh green weeds, your in. Spend a bit of extra time in any deeper holes and bottlenecks you come to......good spots to throw a jig around.

Good luck, and don't forget the camera!!

Sinker