the weirdest thing....

l2p

i WAS 99.9% sure that a mermaid was playing around with me today while fishin for pike, heres the breakdown.

**was fishing a sandbank that i always thought was debris free so i was being careless with the retrieve.

reeling..... hit.. nvm just a snag.... managed to get it free so i reeled in to see if it was weeds. to my surprise it was a huge lump of hair(instantly i remembered about shwa a couple weeks back) but put that thought in the back of my mind. cast out again as i was still sure there was no snags there. reeling...... hit, this time it ran straight for the deeper water just ajacent to the bank and managed to shake me off... hoping to entice a second strike i cast again. reeling.. jerk jerk... reeling..... snag.. then it started moving slowly towards me then faster and faster.. i managed to keep the line tight for a lil while then slack.... $#@$! reeling in, thinkin man that was big pike. then i noticed a big ass scale on my hook. at that point i was trippin out and didnt even stop and think that it could have been a carp i just didnt want to be near that spot so i moved far far away. never did find out wether it was a mermaid or not, maybe a merman? who cares im sober now.

anyways picss(sorry for bad pics, fishin by myself using phone for cam.)

hammer handles

Picture171.jpg

Picture176.jpg

Picture174.jpg

bigger brutes

Picture178.jpg

pic was taken by some random.

Picture181.jpg\

soo guesses on this scale? im thinkin a drum, carp scales look different. (thats a quarter, kinda looks like a nickle.)

Picture177.jpg

Edited by l2p

Btw does anyone know why in most if not all my fish today had some sort of skin irritation and

in some cases were actually flesh wounds? not like cuts more like really bad bruising.

You got a clump of hair? Was it human hair? If so, call the Police! I doubt it was a mermaid! <_<

There are many unsolved missing persons cases in the GTA. Please don't turn a blind eye. It could be nothing, but then again, you may end up bringing closure to a family with a missing loved one. You never know.

Do the right thing.

Nice report btw.

to be honest with you i thought it was way to brittle to be human hair, maybe cause what ever was downthere has been there long enough.

but the color seemed like it would be.... actual hair. brownish/blonde. it has been sitting there in the back of my head. what are the chances that i would hook into so much "furry stuff" i dont like saying hair lol. mind you this is in the middle of a boat lane inside a marina so im almost certain that someone would have noticed by now. but still its better to be sure, who would i contact to report something like this, 222 tips?

Hey there L2P

Great Story you posted as for your scale that you managed to pull out of the water. To me it looks like you have may snagged your lure on a turtles shell. I used to have a couple turtles and when their shells would peel it would look just like that.

Cheers

Sunny

Congrats on the decent fishing. Looks like there has been plenty of pike down there during opener.

I've accidently snagged a few mermaids down there in the past. They were nice about it. j/k

That's a carp scale, 100%.

The gold part is the piece of the scale that's exposed, the opaque section is covered by overlapping scales.

This is the correct reply to the scale though. All kidding aside.

The scarring on the pike is from spawning battles or lymphosarcoma.

Nice report.

ehg

That's a carp scale, 100%.

The gold part is the piece of the scale that's exposed, the opaque section is covered by overlapping scales.

I'd agree, but it may be worth considering a massive Gar pike as well. Huge bony scales on those buggers!!

dave

Yea nice report man, and I'd say carp scale as well. And a very big one too. And as for the bruising I have noticed it in some smaller cats this year and even have pulled out a few cats with big pike slashes across their belly.

soo guesses on this scale? im thinkin a drum, carp scales look different. (thats a quarter, kinda looks like a nickle.)

Picture177.jpg

That scale is from a mirror carp.

Daniel

Edited by DanielM

The picture of the scale stuck in my mind for a few days, and last night I got the answer from God :D

I landed a small carp about 4lb, after I released the carp I saw a fish scale left in the net. It looked exactly like the one in your picture and in similar size. And being from a smallish carp around 4lb, I won't be surprised if you get a bigger scale from a bigger fish.

Edited by wolfville