How do you shut-up Your neighbors Dog

dsn

Dogs are kind of like kids, you want good behavior out of them you have to put a bit of time in with them, a lot of people want dogs but don`t want to put in the time...

I was a truck driver, a lot of different stops, and dogs, a bag of bones can do wonders, carry a few in the pocket and talk nice to the dog throw him a bone, most don`t bite the hand that feeds them.

3 dogs at home, they get nervous when someone or something is heading for their space. The bark at the horses next door, the horses ignore them and they get over it, they bark at the neighbors dogs that enter the yard, then want to go out and play with them.

They bark at the neighbors, then go over and make friends.

..No one should have to put up with constant dogs barking at all hours of the day or night. PERIOD.

..And I don't care if they scare off so called burglars once in the blue moon because they are scarring off the quality of life daily for everyone else...

Bob

Right on, brother!

You got it!

I'd say Cory was commending Garry2R's for getting it right...

and...

and any person that leaves their dogs out all night is not a caring or responsible dog owner..

Dang Gerritt.. guess I'm a smuck. Our Lab spent 13 years outside... free roam of 120 acres and to the best of our knowledge never crossed the fence line.. always there to meet us at the back door when we drove in the laneway..... happy to curl up in a snow bank at -30C.. and you couldn't drag him in the house to change that. And he didn't bark at anyone or thing.. other than the odd night when a Coyote strolled to close to the house and he made sure they knew who was boss. Most dogs where bred to be outside dogs before people started using them like surrogate children. Think back 25 years if you can and compare how many people had a dog in the yard vs the house back then.

Wayne, You are correct.. Some dogs are meant or want to be outside. Sorry I misspoke and posted my comments in a rush... having a 2 year old pulling on you shirt constantly can do that to you..

But there is a difference between a lab (full of hair and fat) wanting to be outside, compared to a dalmation, jack russell or Doubermand(sp?) in -30 degree weather .. Did you provide the dog with a suitable shelter? Knowing you I bet he had a palace to get out of the elements in.. or if it got to uncomfortable for him he would come to the door... Not to mention you did not keep him chained on a 20 leash with nowhere to find natural shelter...

My family had a hobby farm for years.. and the Dog NEVER came in.. but had full run of the barn and had access to it..... this is alot different then being confined in a 30x30 back yard with a chain link fence...

That is what we see here.

G

Had a big Iglo.. and never went in it. Snow bank = happy. When he was 10 and getting slower I put a doggy door in the hangar and he went in there to get out of the wind... laid on three layers of cardboard and a furniture moving blanket. Still -30... but no wind. He liked the radio on too.. lol

Clamp-it talks of room to roam vs stress of city folks dogs. Like many things maybe we all need to sit back and look at the big picture. If that environment is too stressful.. should we be putting the animals thru it?? Nothing erks me more than seeing a couple King Sheppards coming out of a one bedroom apartment.

Edited by irishfield

Hi Cory;

Yes my thoughts are based on Cesar Millan's theories.

Anyone who has watched the "Dog Whisperer" will recognize those parts.

I was so impressed by his show that I bought his book.

Garry2rs

I think the dog treats from a grocery store should be safe enough. But Lets see what she decides to do.

Thanks for all the amazing responses.

dsn

dsn,

If she wants a dog herself tell her to come down here. The way the road construction is going here with the workers screwing the pooch everyday there will be LOTS of puppies running around here before too long...... :P

Hey, there's this cat around our place that keeps spraying our house doors. This, in turn, causes our house cats (both fixed females) to pee by the door. This cat is owned buy the lowlife accross the street, but not cared for.

I've thought of a few things. A 2x4 with nails in it... anti freeze... a bag of rocks. Anyways, as you can tell, no good ideas.

So I called the SPCA. They said they won't get the cat. I said, can I live trap it. They said yes, BUT if the cat is hurt in any ways (and by hurt, they mean that even a stressed out cat is hurt), I could be charged.

So, I said this, and I quote... "So you won't come get the cat, but if I trap the cat, and bring it to you, and its hurt or tramatized, you'll charge me?" They said yes. So I replied "So what you're telling me to do is trap the cat myself, put it in a bag with some rocks and throw it in the river at night?"

They got a little annoyed.

Hey, there's this cat around our place that keeps spraying our house doors. This, in turn, causes our house cats (both fixed females) to pee by the door. This cat is owned buy the lowlife accross the street, but not cared for.

I've thought of a few things. A 2x4 with nails in it... anti freeze... a bag of rocks. Anyways, as you can tell, no good ideas.

So I called the SPCA. They said they won't get the cat. I said, can I live trap it. They said yes, BUT if the cat is hurt in any ways (and by hurt, they mean that even a stressed out cat is hurt), I could be charged.

So, I said this, and I quote... "So you won't come get the cat, but if I trap the cat, and bring it to you, and its hurt or tramatized, you'll charge me?" They said yes. So I replied "So what you're telling me to do is trap the cat myself, put it in a bag with some rocks and throw it in the river at night?"

They got a little annoyed.

Now that there is funny. I am not a cat lover

I've always been a dog owner since I was a pup........

My wife the same as are all our children...we love dogs!

Every now and then you either own or come across a dog that is a barker.

Currently and for the last 6 years we've been proud owners to a 90lb Black Lab/Rotty cross.

Our property..(Not near as big as some)...is an an acre without fences, a river on one side and a highway on the opposite side.

We get along with all the neighbours for the most part as folks do.....but there was a time I had to have words with one that is immediately beside us. This neighbour would and still does throw our dog BBQ leftovers everytime he BBQs.....you'd figure my dog would love him silly.

Because of that one day I had words with the neighbour.......

Our dog agressively barks at him for about 10 seconds every freaking day....then stops.

The neighbour and I laugh about it..and he laughs at the dog for doing it but he wont step onto our property anymore either unless I have walked him onto it myself.

I figure my dog is doing his job...WELL!

He is also allowed to roam our property and also never leaves it at anytime.....

The dog is brought in every night tho.....sleeps on the floor on my side of the bed....but,

is certainly my wifes dog and protector.

The neighbour would never come to our property again if just my wife is outside..I like this too!

Funny thing tho....the dog will not/does not bark at the neighbours wife or visiting older kids of theirs...lol.

For your problem...if youve already spoken to the neighbours without success.

You best start my calling the by-law officer first....

'Squeaky wheel" gets the grease they say.

I'd deff. stay away from feeding their dog anything including treats or anything else if the dogs owner is not there to see it...PERIOD.

I'd do more then bark at you if you did.

"So, I said this, and I quote... "So you won't come get the cat, but if I trap the cat, and bring it to you, and its hurt or tramatized, you'll charge me?" They said yes. So I replied "So what you're telling me to do is trap the cat myself, put it in a bag with some rocks and throw it in the river at night?"

They got a little annoyed."

Perhaps they were annoyed because they had plans to fish that body of water and had little or no intention of casting for or to, a burlap bag... unless the bag contained marshmellows of course.

HH

How can the SPCA know if a cat is stressed out?

Do they have a therapist that conducts an interview?

Or do you just check for overt symptoms, like the cat is chain smoking and is more irritable?

Other thing is how can SPCA tell how long a cat has been in the trap? impossible without unbiased and credible witnesses, or would they just ask the cat?

I've got to chime in to back up Rick & Garry. They've hit the nail on the head - this woman needs to learn about how dogs communicate. They want to cooperate, and don't just yap for the sake of being noisy.

My chosen guru is Dr Stanley Coren, from the show "Good Dog!," companion site "Good Dog Zone," and several books. Not only has he done a wealth of research into dog behaviour, and proven to be a very gentle & successful trainer, but he's also a Dr & professor of human psychology. I think that puts him in an excellent position to understand the animal, and translate its world into human terms.

Coren's book "How To Speak Dog: Mastering the Art of Dog-Human Communication" is absolutely brilliant. I've always gotten along well with furballs, but the difference was night and day once I read this. It's not unusual for me now to walk into a house with an "uncontrollable" dog, and have it behave politely.

FWIW, dogs tell their pups to pipe down by using one soft, low-pitched bark. I use the word "enough" in a low voice without much punch in it. Amazes me how many people start yelling at the dog - to the animal, it looks like the human's barking its head off, so they must be doing the right thing by barking themselves.