Hyundai Santa Fe info req'd NF

Hooked

I was wondering if anybody here has any experience concerning Hyundai Santa Fe's, or knows somebody that has owned one? Basically, my dilemma here is if I should go with a minivan or an SUV? I have been looking at Dodge Caravans as well, any info on those would be appreciated as well. I have a wife and 2 kids, so I maybe directing towards a minivan. Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

If I do go the minivan route, which one has a good reputation?

Edited by Hooked

Hyundai Santa-Fe......

If you are considering a small S.U.V ..I don't wanna bash the Hyundai they've come a long ways

in 20 years fastest growing car company ever..they now make good cars.

But... keep in mind i sell parts for a living I see it first hand... if it's gonna break it'll cost 15-25% more than it would to fix your ..Explorer or your Jimmy...[these are mid sized]..

if ya wanna go for a compact SUV...there are no cheap ones to repair...

The Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute..Tracker/Vitara..break less than the Honda CRV & Santa Fe.. and are cheaper to repair....

I'm a Ford guy but this time I'll root for the Suzuki Grand Vitara..it's been on the road for years and has a bulletproof drivetrain...the rest is wear & tear like a domestic roughly the same price.

A domestic import [ Jeep/Mitsubshi...Ford/Mazda...Chevrolet/Suzuki] are getting cheaper to repair.

If ya wanna use the Hyundai as a toy as well to kinda go off road or for towing... it's as capable as any of it's competition.

Alot of Hyundai parts are exclusive to Hyundai.. and are very expensive at the dealer..

My brother -In-Law had one ...great in the snow, great on gas , expensive to fix and was broken regularly.

Seldom was I able to reach behind the counter and get him what he needed.

As for a Minivan well I'll always be too young for one.

Here's mine ...pretty cheap to fix ..all the power I need..... the worst truck on the road for gas mileage....OHHH WHAT A PIG!!!

good luck shopping...

I seen a Car and Driver Show and even though I take things with a grain of salt as that show and mag make their money off of car manufacturers, one article seemed to make sense. They were testing a Kia van, and had alot of good things to say about it. What sticks to my mind is that the show recommended it over an SUV because it was alot cheaper, just as much room, if not more. Can tow just as well. What I would base my points would be, PRICE, FUEL ECONOMY, RELIABILITY, DO I NEED HIGH GROUND CLEARENCE, DO I NEED FOUR WHEEL DRIVE. For me Id choose a van. If not a cheap old used SUV for four wheeling. Otherwise 25k 40k SUV to pick up groceries is a waste of money in my little world.

Edited by holdfast

i had a santa fe... it's a solid vehicle. good performance, solid handling, has good power for a smaller SUV. i'd definitely recommend it. keep in mind, though, that after about a 4yr period, you'll have to be prepared to pay up for repairs. nothing serious, normal stuff, but my experience had it come all at once.

but overall, i'd recommend it. i enjoyed it. good room in the back for kids, too.

The vehicle you choose really depends on the size of boat you will be towing and the distance you like to travel with said boat.

I had a Ford Escape for 5 years and it towed my 16' Grumman pretty good. It was a 4X4 V-6 with towing package and 201 hp engine. Stopping wasn't as good as I liked but it did the job as long as I wasn't really loaded down like I was 2 or 3 times a year going up north for a week. Then I really had to watch my speed and distance from other vehicles. That is the BIG reason I now own a Toyota Tundra. Now I don't have to watch what I put in the truck and boat and have PLENTY of power and STOPPING power to depend on. Of course I really pay for that in gas mileage compared to the Ford Escape when NOT towing. Towing they are pretty much the same in mileage getting only 14-15 mpg.

Toyota's RAV4 is one of the hottest small SUV on the market. Consumer Reports gives it EXCELLENT reviews and they really hold their value but then again you can't get a deal on a new one because they sell so well. My point is go to Consumer Reports.com and pay the $12 for a year subscription and check out vehicles there.

BTW the Dodge Mini Van is a repair job just waiting to happen. Ask folks who have owned them, NOT GOOD.

I bought a 2007 Santafe for the wife in August 2006. Haven't had anything but GREAT things to say about it. Great on gas. Tows extremely well (towed a 5x8 foot u-haul...loaded...from Newfoundland to Ontario where even my wife didn't mind driving with it in tow). 5 year 100,000 km bumper to bumper warranty. I got the GL base model, still comes with ESC, traction control, pw, pl, pm, heated mirrors, CD/mp3, A/C, tilt, cruise, curtain airbags, abundance of DC outputs, tons of storage space, roof rack..... and I am a GM guy at heart (I'd never buy a foriegn truck.) And we get nothing but the greatest of service at Orangeville Hyundai even though we did not buy from them (car is a Newfie). I'd recommend it to anyone, in fact my mother in law, my sister in law and my cousin are all after buying one since I told them about it.

Good luck car shopping. I know I stressed for a long time before I settled on one.

Wow Holdfast talking up a foreign vehicle...you know little foreiners make those eh! LOL

Your trying to get me in trouble again with Roy and his little boy Darsky. By the way I own a Toyota and married to an Arab, as a matter of fact born in Bagdad. Kind of makes my kids half breeds.

we bought our last Minivan two years ago (HONDA)

Bought Honda for two reasons quality reputation , torque ( highest in 2006 for minivans)

with 4 wheel disc stopping while while towing the 17' lund and gear is good .

At $1.22 glad I didn't by the full size SUV! we rent a four door 2500 series 4x4 the once or twice a year when I need it ...cheaper than owning !

Stay away from Dodge mini vans (unless sort term lease) gm not much better. Looks like thes eare being phased out for 'crossovers'

Bro in law has the Suziki and loves it , lots of room althoug he doesn't tow .

Next family vehicle would most likley be the mid size suv ( Suzuki , Hyundai or Ford).

TB

we bought our last Minivan two years ago (HONDA)

Bought Honda for two reasons quality reputation , torque ( highest in 2006 for minivans)

with 4 wheel disc stopping while while towing the 17' lund and gear is good .

At $1.22 glad I didn't by the full size SUV! we rent a four door 2500 series 4x4 the once or twice a year when I need it ...cheaper than owning !

Stay away from Dodge mini vans (unless sort term lease) gm not much better. Looks like thes eare being phased out for 'crossovers'

Bro in law has the Suziki and loves it , lots of room althoug he doesn't tow .

Yup Like Tinbanger says I have a Honda Odyssey I saw my mechanic the other day needed a quick brake light bulb change.

Since I changed the timing belt(regular maintenance)my mechanic wants to know why I don't see him.Well he knows these vans are solid.Pay now or pay later .

MTP

Next family vehicle would most likley be the mid size suv ( Suzuki , Hyundai or Ford).

TB