Body Found in Oshawa Creek

Paulus

OSHAWA -- Foul play is not suspected in the death of a man whose body was found in a creek in south Oshawa Friday afternoon. Michael Joyce, 43, of Phillip Murray Avenue in Oshawa was found with no vital signs in the Oshawa Creek near the Thomas Street bridge around 3 p.m. Friday by fishermen.

"It's not suspicious at all," Durham police Sergeant Paul McCurbin said. "It looks like death by misadventure."

A post mortem examination showed the man drowned, Sgt. McCurbin said.

Firefighters and paramedics converging on the scene attempted without success to revive the man, an officer on the scene Friday said. Police cordoned the area around a bike path off for several hours following discovery of the body.

Police continue to try to track Mr. Joyce's movements prior to his death.

Sad indeed.

Wow...now that's scary. Bly and I have said that this was going to happen sooner or later in that area.

That's why we NEVER fish alone at night...you just never know...one slip, hit your head and it's lights out forever....even in slow moving shallow flows.

So very sad and tragic! I do find it quite disturbing to read peoples prior posts that try to pull off a joke. This is not funny people because it could very well happen to anyone of us or one of our family members. Let's pray for this gentleman, his family and the brave fisherman that found him. I'm sure he's very frightened and distraught about the whole ordeal...finfan

Edited by finfan

But was this man wading???.... the news report does not say so... It could be suicide, it could be someone murdered... I know this sounds morbid....

But who are we to speculate until the police have done their job...

Wait for the autopsy then from a conclusion...

Noone said this man was fishing either.... he could have been pushed... who knows...

and I think 4Reels comments were made in jest, making light of a difficult subject (that being death) everyone deals with it differently... and I think his comments might have been misconstrued.

G

But was this man wading???.... the news report does not say so... It could be suicide, it could be someone murdered... I know this sounds morbid....

But who are we to speculate until the police have done their job...

Wait for the autopsy then from a conclusion...

Noone said this man was fishing either.... he could have been pushed... who knows...

and I think 4Reels comments were made in jest, making light of a difficult subject (that being death) everyone deals with it differently... and I think his comments might have been misconstrued.

G

I don't think MJL's comment about wading insinuated that he was fishing....just saying that you can never be too careful on creeks....even if the water seems shallow and slow moving. My comment was in the same light...

I'm sorry Gerritt! I mean no disrespect but how the gentleman died is just plain tragic. He drowned! Death is final and not to be joked about. I'm sorry there is no making light of a situation like that...finfan.

Whether the man was wading or not..whether he was doing something else or not will not bring the man back. There is a grieving family and grieving friends. Let's maybe try to think of them a little more than trying to defend ourselves for not knowing how to handle these unfortunate situations.

My condolences and apologies to the family and friends of Mr. Joyce.

I agree with both of you... Death is no Joke... but remember everyone deals with emotions in different manners.. people get angry, cry, laugh, snap, hold a party.......

I too have been through a tough loss...

and everyone has their own way of dealing with death... Everyone.

while tragic, and I feel for the family this is the truth.

people vent in their own manner..

G

I'm sorry Gerritt! I mean no disrespect but how the gentleman died is just plain tragic. He drowned! Death is final and not to be joked about. I'm sorry there is no making light of a situation like that...finfan.

Everybody deals with situations in different ways.

Lets try to stay on the ground about this.

Yes! I positively understand that people do in fact deal with these situations differently. And I'm very grounded! Thank you very much? I just don't think that these are the kinds of comments to be posting on this thread for people to read.