Mounting Outboards

fishinggeek

If you call It a TINNY... I assume it's 12-14 foot... to me anything that isn't stern drive and bolted onto your transom is portable within certain horse classes for me a 40 Tiller is portable.

for some it's too heavy....if you can carry it it's portable, if you bolt it to the transom it becomes less portable.

There must be some of weightlifters on the board, don't think I'd be classifying a 40 as portable. My 25 weighs more than 118 pounds, I wouldn't want to be hauling that off and back on every time I went fishing.

I had a Mercury 6hp and it weighed in at more than 70 lbs itself, portable yes, but some evenings it remained locked on the transom.

If you are buying a smaller outboard, 9.9 or lower than haul it off and on, but at least put a padlock on it when mounted...and a chain and lock and another lock and another lock and a bulldog to watch it..... :whistling:

I don't take the motor on/off, unless I absolutley have to. I have done it myself though..... a few times. Its heavy.....but not "that" heavy. Its a 2 stroke too......so its that much lighter.

Not sure what it weighs, but I can take it off, put it in my van, take it out and carry it into the mechanics shop for a tune up by myself.......pick it up, then put it back on the boat. There is some grunting, a couple pit stops, and a little cursing, but its doable. I'm no weightlifter either..........but I'm not afraid to lift heavy stuff.....:)

And it isn't bolted on the transom......so, I'm calling it portable. By no means am I saying a 40 hp is a portable motor......far from it.

There isn't much to installing it though....just tighten it on there, add gas, and away you go.

Sinker

If you don't plan to remove the motor then bolt it on since this makes it harder for a crook to steal it (say the boat will be on a trailer beside your house in a safe neighbourhood). But if you need to remove the motor say for winter storage in the basement or for security reasons like when leaving the boat at the cottage/locking the motor in the cabin, then the clamp on approach is better. All come down to how you're gonna use it and how often you want to get the motor off the boat.

I had an older 40 merc that weighed 135lbs ... I'm not saying that I would take it on a portage or anything it was definitely heavy... I now do the same with a '98 Evinrude 30 that weighs 114lbs

I take it off the trailered 14 and put it on the Tinny 14 when I go fishin' in the bush.... still not something I would want to carry very far..

I bolt it on to my Trailered 14 when i get home.