Catfish

Radnine

Guys,

What is the deal with Catfish? What can you touch, what will sting, what’s an old wives tale and what is real?

Right now if I get a catfish on I throw the rod and reel overboard and start again somewhere else. What am I missing?

Top dorsal fin has a strong bone in the front of the fin. This is what "stings" you. It actually just pierces your skin and the slim gives you a nasty infection. This is at least the case with Bullhead

Edited by irishfield

Thanks Sinker. I haven't played with one since I was a kid on the Rideau River...where we all had a bamboo pole/ dacron line/ hook and a worm. Flip'm back on shore... a parent took them off.. skinned them and threw'm on the BBQ !

Edited by irishfield

The pec fins have the same spike as the dorsal. Just grab them by the bottom lip.......don't be surprised when they bite down and won't let go :o , that's normal... :P

And for the small ones I'll just slide my hand up from the tail and use the 3 spines to help hold the fish. As a little kid I was told by my cousins that the barbles/ "whiskers" would sting you, I hated trying to get them off my line. Not sure when I figured they were full of it???

This is what "stings" you. It actually just pierces your skin and the slim gives you a nasty infection. This is at least the case with Bullhead

I got stung so many times by bullheads - I think the worst wound was at Lake Aquitaine, in Mississauga - and never got an infection. Sometimes I put some anti-bacterial ointment on the wound, but only hours after.

As a matter of fact, the slime actually protects the fish itself from fungal and bacterial infections, so it might have been worked against the infection. Or maybe I was just lucky...

Channel cats I don't think they sting.

Channel cats will also "fin you" all catfish even the ones in your aquarium have the stiff fins that have small barbs that are the cutting agent. Catfish react to being grabbed by lashing from side to side and by erecting the fins, the combination of which can produce a puncture wound and even a laceration. The venomous glands are located within the integument that encloses the spine, so whenever a spine is torn, the venom is released and transmitted through the puncture wound. The purpose of these envenomations is self-defense rather than food gathering. The species differ in their toxicity depending on environmental factors and infections are often introduced at the wound site from the environment that the fish lives in. Irrigating the wound and probing for any broken fin material and a follow up of using a antibacterial ointment is recommended. If you notice any red streaks excessive tenderness or other signs of infection in the next few days go to the doctor before it gets worse.

Art