downrigging line need help

2 tone z71

I use 30lb PPro with a rod length of 10lb mono (going up to 20 this season) and good high quality swivel. Got tired of mono snapping off in the clip when trying to "pop" them out. The power pro held up well all last season and I see no reason I can' t use it for a second season before reversing it on the spool. We have spinny water flea in Temagami as well and it shakes off easily from the PPro.

I use 30lb PPro with a rod length of 10lb mono (going up to 20 this season) and good high quality swivel. Got tired of mono snapping off in the clip when trying to "pop" them out. The power pro held up well all last season and I see no reason I can' t use it for a second season before reversing it on the spool. We have spinny water flea in Temagami as well and it shakes off easily from the PPro.

Wayne is the Mono for stretch, is that neccesary on all reels spooled with Power Pro thanks again

Another invasive species.. like tiny tiny shrimp. Someone was nice enough not to wash their boat after fishing a great lake and brought it to Lake T in the late 90's apparently. Don't see them until I start fishing below 75 feet. Then they come up when you reel in and hard to describe but looks like a frayed cheap yellow nylon rope as they collect in a pile ahead of your first eyelet. A good shake or dip of the rod usually has them coming off easily...at least from Power Pro. Guys in Lake Ontario sometimes run a line called "Flea Flicker".. specifically designed so they don't jam the line up going thru the rod.

Edited by irishfield

I don't intend to hijack the thread, but what is spinny water flea?

It's a small (1/8"long) crustaecean that clings to your line in significant numbers and when you retrieve your line can plug up the rod eyes, it sort of looks like loooong green boogers clinging to your line.

Wayne is the Mono for stretch, is that neccesary on all reels spooled with Power Pro thanks again

Serves two purposes. Shock absorber for the intial hit and helps with line shy in clear lakes as well. Not that line shy is probably a huge issue....

I was taught this PPro and rod length of Mono by Ron. I only use this set up for trolling Walleye and Lakers.

I think most Lake O fisherman use mono for the riggers and use braid for the dispey divers.(digs the diver deeper and no strech helps pop the dipsey.) When the fleas come in thick on Lake O switch to wire line as it slice through them. The fleas of Lake O will be much thicker than Temagami's and the braid will be bad news.

I think most Lake O fisherman use mono for the riggers and use braid for the dispey divers.(digs the diver deeper and no strech helps pop the dipsey.) When the fleas come in thick on Lake O switch to wire line as it slice through them. The fleas of Lake O will be much thicker than Temagami's and the braid will be bad news.

I have been downrigging on Lake Erie and Lake Ontario for 23 years now and all I use is 12 lb mono on my rigger rods. Now I do a lot more walleye fishing in Erie than salmon fishing in Lake Ontario but still I have never had a fish break me off using 12 lb test.

Now on my Dipsy I also use 30 lb Power Pro with a 7 foot 20 lb fluorocarbon leader. The Dipsy's pull hard and sometimes the strikes can be violent so that's the reason for the 20 lb leader.

Good Fishing,

Bob

I fish Lake Erie, Lake Ontario, Lake Huron ,Lake Kipawa, Lake Temagami and my camp Tunnel Lake. I downrigg for Lakers and Walleye with 12 and 14 lb. mono. When I Salmon downrigg, I use 17 lb mono. Never had a break problem in 40 years.

Heres a pick of what irishfield is talking about, we have them in our Lake also.

WaterFlea_Watch.jpg