Which hidf wide screen to buy

misfish

Brian, Plasma is what you are wanting to look for especially for fast moving sports such as racing, hockey etc... but REMEMBER in order to achieve the TV's best performance you will also need a HD Source... such as a HD Bell Expressvu Sat Reciever..

If you need a hand @ models and brands... please give me an idea on what size you would like to have... Also drop me a pm...

G

Brian, Plasma is what you are wanting to look for especially for fast moving sports such as racing, hockey etc... but REMEMBER in order to achieve the TV's best performance you will also need a HD Source... such as a HD Bell Expressvu Sat Reciever..

If you need a hand @ models and brands... please give me an idea on what size you would like to have... Also drop me a pm...

G

I would just like to comment on this statement. Bell sucks. I remember when they were calling their signal HDTV and it stood for HIGHER definition TV....what scammers. HDTV from Rogers or Bell costs an arm and a leg! If it fits you I think OTA is the way to go....spend $300 on 2 antennas and get FREE uncompromised HDTV. What do I mean my uncompromized.....some TV delivery services are compressing their signals so they can deliver more channels...that translates to low quality HDTV (its not HDTV anymore).

There was a thread just last week on OFC about purchasing an HDTV..check it out.

forrest

forrest how many station are currently broadcasting in HD over the air? Given his location in Barrie...

I am by no means a HD newbie.... BEV is still better then ANYTHING any cable company will offer. period. I have been in the satellite game ALONG time... Big things are coming..

Sure BEV has to compress the signal due to bandwidth per transponder issues..... Just wait... Did you know BEV is launching new birds? they are being built by Boeing. Dishnet is already launching theirs :) However the first bird experianced issues during the launch and is not in the correct Geo-Stationary location...

a clip of the news release...

The AMC-14 spacecraft, owned by SES Americom, was supposed to have been put 36,000km above the Earth but only got to 28,000km, launch officials say.

It is understood the Proton's Breeze-M upper-stage failed to operate properly.

The failure will be a source of concern to the satellite industry which has now seen a Proton fail three times in three years - the last in September 2007.

BEV Licenses their technology from DishNet.... and security is maintained my NDS..

Just thought you would like to know.

G

Edited by Gerritt

forrest how many station are currently broadcasting in HD over the air? Given his location in Barrie...

I am by no means a HD newbie.... BEV is still better then ANYTHING any cable company will offer. period.

Sure BEV has to compress the signal due to bandwidth per transponder issues..... Just wait... Did you know BEV is launching new birds? they are being built by Boeing.

Just thought you would like to know.

G

In Toronto...about 20 HDTV channels including ABC, NBC, CBC, PBS, CBC (hockey).......Is 20 a pretty good number?

In Barrie....well it depends on the antenna. It might be about the same. A sure way would be to check the OTA forums (http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/index.html)

So, if Bell is compressing their signal: there is no better signal than OTA.

forrest

Edited by forrest

what ever happened to the good ole days when cable was a box with 2 levels of buttons and a cable connecting it to the TV and man if you went past 30 you had it all.......545 channels of repeatative fluff these days

Thast being said I have a 56 Sony bravia and find its picture quality pretty good...when I add the true HD signal not much better then that....Just remember to budget an additional 150 plus for the upgraded cables.

Gone are the days of co axial to the illegal box then to the VCR and then the tv....and a 28 dollar cable bill

In Toronto...about 20 HDTV channels including ABC, NBC, CBC, PBS, CBC (hockey).......Is 20 a pretty good number?

In Barrie....well it depends on the antenna. It might be about the same. A sure way would be to check the OTA forums (http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/index.html)

So, if Bell is compressing their signal: there is no better signal than OTA.

forrest

So spend 300.00.... on and antenna so I can watch Corner Gas and Red Green.. Or Take that same 300.00 and purchase a HD system from Bell... knowing they are launching 2 more satellite's to deal with the compression issues...

I am not trying to be sarcastic here... Bunny ears did not cut it ten years ago... I dont see how 300.00 bunny ears are going to cut it now to be honest..

Sure they get you some programming..

But 300.00 on a set of bunny ears.....

G

Sorry added to my post while you were responding it seems..

G

NP!...I was probably adding to mine as you were adding to yours :whistling:

Bell may be launching new birds does not mean they will increase their signal quality; as the trend goes they are most likely only adding channels.

So.....a direct question would be....will Dale Jr appear on OTA for misfish?

forrest

So spend 300.00.... on and antenna so I can watch Corner Gas and Red Green.. Or Take that same 300.00 and purchase a HD system from Bell... knowing they are launching 2 more satellite's to deal with the compression issues...

I am not trying to be sarcastic here... Bunny ears did not cut it ten years ago... I dont see how 300.00 bunny ears are going to cut it now to be honest..

Sure they get you some programming..

But 300.00 on a set of bunny ears.....

G

$150 a piece...and that is overspending. Then again a tower could cost some.

They don't use bunny ears anymore.....they use yagis......and the real nice thing about digital is that you either get it or you don't. There is no noise!

Sure, the signal can go wonky for a moment in bad weather....just like Bell

forrest

Edited by forrest

Sorry misfish,

I think your thread ended up getting high-jacked. Like all crimes the perpetrators did not mean for it to happen the way it did. :whistling:

Here are 2 links you will find to be a huge help:

http://www.avsforum.com/ (for the best big screen info)

http://www.remotecentral.com (OTA info)

take care,

forrest

Edited by forrest

I do not believe it will.

Then again I have to apply my logic to your stance...

It will be coming eventually I am sure. The first channel to have OTA will probably be the VR too...

I think Bell is launching the new sats for two reasons.... one is to save face... two I am sure is to add some more HD content... however that said, right now there are only so many channel broadcast in HD... I think once the SD format is gone.. that leaves bell with 4 sats capable of broadcasting in HD but for now 3 will be able to handle all their bandwidth needs just fine... Things will work out for the best... Besides.. they have to... there is a new beast on the horizon..... and that is Fibre :)

I am not seeing anything for Barrie that is OTA... but I only did a quick 10 minute search... but everything for the Golden Horse is good..

G

$150 a piece...and that is overspending. Then again a tower could cost some.

They don't use bunny ears anymore.....they use yagis......and the real nice thing about digital is that you either get it or you don't. There is no noise!

Sure, the signal can go wonky for a moment in bad weather....just like Bell

forrest

I know they dont use bunny ears now (In Literal terms)... I used that as a frame of reference so others could follow along lol.... but they essentially do the same job as Bunny ears from 30 years ago though! lol

Edited by Gerritt

Yah sorry Brian.... We got kinda carried away there... it was not intentional lol these things happen... we were just talking tech nonsense etc..

Get a big one! just make sure it is flat and thin LOL!

Just kidding brother.. PM me or Forrest if you have any questions about anything we were discussing on your thread,

G

I know they dont use bunny ears now... I used that as a frame of reference so others could follow along lol.... but they essentially do the same job as Bunny ears from 30 years ago lol

Bunny ears (for analogue) are about as similar to Yagis (w/ digital receiver) as bunny ears are similar to satellite dishes.

They all receive an electronic signal for amplification (according to my DSP and signals course). :canadian:

forrest

edit: man...2 or 3 posts posted while I wrote this....fast thread.

Edited by forrest

forrest... I have to disagree... Satellite uses an encryption scheme hence the reason you are supposed to pay for them.. OTA broadcasts do not.. they are free for anyone to pickup with the right equipment. "Bunny ears"

LOL... we should continue this in PM so as to not further highjack this thread....

G

I was out TV shopping the other day and was BLOWN AWAY by the Samsung LCD...no motion blur and an amazing picture. It had a much better pic than the others that cost way more.

I beleive there is a law in the US that ALL TV stations must go digital/HD by the end of this year.

And yes, Bell sucks monkey butts.

Get Cogeco if you can.

Gerritt

good old Rogers

Do you have the "HD" box from Rogers? Cable is Way worse the Sat for quality of HD.... also what setting do you have your TV @ while watching a HD channel? 480i/p 760i/p 1080i/p??

G