making Fluorocarbon leaders?

addy79

Fish Head Ric wrote up an excellent article on making fluoro leaders but that was a couple years back on the old board and probably isn't available anymore.

They're very easy to make though and you can just tie them if the line isn't too heavy or you can use the metal crimps, just be sure you have the proper size crimp for the line your using.

Myself, I like to use a lighter and melt the tag end before I close up the loop and crimp it down just incase there's any slippage.

Just be sure you don't clamp down too hard on the crimp and cut into the line.

melt the leaders in place for added security.

I may have mislead you Addy, what I meant was I just heat the very end of the leader material till a small ball forms, and then adjust your loop size and crimp it all down.

Once that small ball hardens, it'll just prevent the leader from pulling back into the sleeve if the crimp isn't done right.

I use a little drop of crazy glue also to the crimp just in case to stop any slippage and I paint the crimps with some red nail polish . Key here is right size crimps for the line size and a proper crimping tool . I use 80 pound seagar

I just took this picture addy79, but even though it didn't come out too clear it should give you a basic idea to make up some leaders.

The sleeves have 2 sides to them, so you run your leader material thru the 1st side, then thread it thru ring on your swivel, and then run the leader down thru the other side so you now have it looping from one side to the other with your swivel attached.

This is where I like to leave lots of slack and burn the tag end of the leader material to form that little ball to keep it from sliding back thru the sleeve. It's not neccessary to do this but someone showed it to me a couple years back and I just kept on doing it.

After it cools down, slide it back to the sleeve, then adjust the size of the loop you want.....I like to leave about 3/4" but you can do whatever you want......then when everything is good, crimp the sleeve, but don't over-do it or you'll cut into the leader material and ruin it.

I like to crimp both sides to be sure it's secure.

For the other end, you just need to make a loop, crimp it, and then you can attach your snap afterwards.

I payed about $25 for the crimping tool but you can get them for alot less if you want. I bought mine at JB's in Etobicoke, but most decent tackle stores should carry them.

You didn't say what size fluro you want to use, but the spool of 130 pound Seaguar will run you about $55 for a 50' spool, and then I assume it'll be a bit cheaper as the line size diminishes.

Hopefully that helped you understand what's involved, but it's all very easy once you've made a couple.

BTW, I have no idea why those swivels look rusty because they certainly aren't :dunno:

Cnv0014.jpg

There many "how to " links out there. One I found was on a site called Leadertec- was titled "basic crimping". Will see if I can find the exact link, as I have a few!

Making your own leaders is VERY rewarding. I use a swivel at BOTH ends! Just me, as I am obsessed with getting rid of tangled line!!!

I like Lew's idea of melting the tag end!!

Good Luck.

FT

I use the improved clinch knot with only 3 wraps to tie 80-100 lb. fluro., be sure to lubricate it well!

Interesting fact I just read in this months In-Fisherman mag, Use fluorocarbon line for everything except topwater. The article said even a short fluro leader will kill the action of a topwater bait.

No matter what kind of leader you make,you should always test them ,before using.I use barbell weights. fifty pounds for musky and forty pounds for pike. You might be surprised. I tested some store bought ones rated sixty and they pulled apart at twenty-two pounds. I would use a scale for testing because when a leader breaks at a very high pressure the scale slams shut very hard and will blow apart. Good fishing

The store bought 80 and 130 lb Stringeze that I use are tied. Anyone know if it's done by hand or machine and what the knot is. Floro heated before tying?

I've used polimar and uni knots for up to 80#, but never tried any heavyer.

I just took this picture addy79, but even though it didn't come out too clear it should give you a basic idea to make up some leaders.

Cnv0014.jpg

thats great Lew, I'll be sure to post some pics once ive made a few, think im going with a couple different sizes: 25lb and 80lb Seagur

thanks again

I think the modified clinch is the best and easiest to use with heavy fluoro. This is 100lb Seaguar. The tag end is left untrimmed (about 1/2 an inch) both at the swivel and snap ends of the leader and are quite effective at keeping the weeds off the bait a little longer.

DSC01055.jpg

If you're going to be crimping, stuffing the tag end back into the crimp will give you a better finish.

DSC01060.jpg

IMHO