Spring is Here - Report

Rich

Headed out locally to stock up on spring channel cat bait (sucker meat) and was happy to see they have arrived in their spring time spawning areas. Was also surprised by a couple of carp that made their way into the spot.

Was a lot of fun to get out and fish some open water and there was a definite difference in fight between winter and spring carp. I almost forgot how hard they really fight!

DSC01266.jpg

DSC01267.jpg

A tricky spot to land them, should have brought the net but expected nothing but suckers.

DSC01268.jpg

DSC01272.jpg

DSC01274.jpg

DSC01276.jpg

Now got enough cat bait in the freezer for a couple of trips, gonna start searching for them later this week or early next week.

Anyone who wants to join in a scouting expedition for channel cats let me know. I have the bait and the spot knowledge. 90% sure they've moved in to one of my spots.

What do you do to the sucker meat when using it for cats? I usually use dead stinky minnows. I sure catch alot of suckers while steelheading, and I might just try keeping a couple for cat bait. Do you have to let it rot a little before using it? cut into strips/chunks? If I can find an alternative to stinky minnows, that works as well, I might switch it up this spring.

Chicken liver is a good catfish bait, that's easy to get at the grocery store.

It's a little hard to keep on the hook.

If sunfish etc. are picking it off I tie it in nylon netting material like a big roe bag.

The nylon is available in dollar stores, as wedding veils etc.

I know about chicken livers. We use them sometimes. We leave them in the sun laid out on a tray for a day. They get stinky, and stick to the hook a little better as they dry out a bit. Stinky minnows seem to work better though.

I was curious about the sucker meat because, every year the stink of the dead minnows seems to get to me a little more. ( my arms are too short to get away from my nose) Also, when using minnows, The garpike wont leave it alone.

I might just try sucker meat this year, to see if it helps with the stink and gars.

Cant wait for those cats!!!

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh21/st...dr/Catfish5.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh21/st...dr/Catfish3.jpg

Edited by steelhedrmatt

What do you do to the sucker meat when using it for cats? I usually use dead stinky minnows. I sure catch alot of suckers while steelheading, and I might just try keeping a couple for cat bait. Do you have to let it rot a little before using it? cut into strips/chunks? If I can find an alternative to stinky minnows, that works as well, I might switch it up this spring.

Pretty simple, just fillet them and cut the meat into 2-3 inch chunks then freeze it. Works better for big cats than stinky minnows, worms or chicken livers IMO. Less annoying bullhead bites too.