Fish Batter preferrence #2

Guest Lundboy is Done

What commercial fish batter do you prefer?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer?

• Fish Crisp Original
    • Fish Crisp Garlic & Butter
    • Fish Crisp Beer Batter
    • Fish Crisp Cajun
    • Fish Crsip Italian
    • Daryl Choronzy's Breading & Batter Mix
    • Shake & Bake for Fish
    • T.J.s Secret Recipe
    • I prefer my own secret recipe

Fish Crisp is darn good stuff and I love the cajun and beer batter, BUT

CRUSHED UP ALL-DRESSED CHIPS......

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Has anyone else used Chips as their batter?

If not, give it a try!! YUMMY!

Yes, I use ground up Fritos BBQ corn chips when I am out of Cajun Fish Crisp. For more delicate fish I stick to Original Fish Crisp.

Anyone notice the second ingredient in Cronzy's? SALT! followed by MSG - no thanks.

I really liked the original recipe Club House fish mix, but it seems like I can not find it any more on the store shelves. I dont mind the cajun one from CH, and I am not much for the beer batter recipe or the english version.

I just may have to try the Chronzy's mix.

Ever since TJ spilled the secret recipe to Bly in a drunken state at Lakair, (TJ being drunk that is), that's the only one we use....

I'm just curious if the ingredients stay the same each year ! Maybe we should compare the formula... LOL

Give credit were credit is due,Daryl Chronozy has done a heck of a job for the last 50 yrs,I watch his show every sat and sun

Breading and batter mix,he's got a winner

and as far as him taking his buddies fishing,I do that everyweek

Dan Gaben Sr,guest on the show is a real gentleman,good for the sport and the Going Fishing show

Keep up the good work Daryl

Yes, I use ground up Fritos BBQ corn chips when I am out of Cajun Fish Crisp. For more delicate fish I stick to Original Fish Crisp.

Anyone notice the second ingredient in Cronzy's? SALT! followed by MSG - no thanks.

Salt and MSG as the 2nd and 3rd ingredients, respectively? No thanks. I'll pass on that considering I do not have a palate for salty foods, which my blood pressure thanks me for. Thanks for the info. You saved me a needless trip to the store, plus the cost of a box of breading if I wasn't careful enough to read the ingredient list. I'll stick to my egg and buttermilk dip, then the coating of seasoned cornmeal.

Last night on WFN, Chronzy was fishing for muskies on LSC. If anyone saw it, you'll remember he was mentioning how good muskie was, and that he preferred it to both walleye and pike. He did bacon-wrapped fish on the BBQ and said it would work with muskie as well. He did mention eating mortally wounded, legal length fish as well.

Edited by fishinggeek

Guest lundboy
Last night on WFN, Chronzy was fishing for muskies on LSC. If anyone saw it, you'll remember he was mentioning how good muskie was, and that he preferred it to both walleye and pike. He did bacon-wrapped fish on the BBQ and said it would work with muskie as well. He did mention eating mortally wounded, legal length fish as well.

I don't call him "the Hungry Fisherman" for nothing. He's never met a fish he couldn't/wouldn't eat.

Muskies are the sacred cow of fishing, he should use a little common sense.

Edited by lundboy

Corn meal catfish fried in an iron pan on the bbq is my favourite eating fish, but that's more like a breading than a "batter" strictly speaking right? </batter nazi>

I like Bisquik & beer seasoned with paprika (real Hungarian paprika plzkthx) & lemon pepper. But whichever mix you use remember the more bubbles the more flavour. Beer or club soda gets plenty of carbonation in the mix.

I prefere my own , 1/3 flour-1/3 cornmeal-1/3 bread crumbs with Italian seasoning and pepper.

But I have nothing against Original Fish Crisp.

I will have to try Cronzeys mix sometime.

Will the MSG will make me taste better to the worms when I'm gone?

I really liked the original recipe Club House fish mix, but it seems like I can not find it any more on the store shelves.

Kept an eye out while I was grocery shopping, and I didn't find any of their mixes.

Not sure which version you mean by "original recipe." If it's still in production, it'll be on this product page and you can see which stores carry it by using their product locator form.

Seems Walmart handles all of their batter mixes, but other stores only carry some of them. Good luck!