Big cats

richyb

Im lookin to tie into some big channel cats this year ... I have only been able to find bullheads up to about 2 pounds ... I live in barrie so anything in the surrounding area would be great. ... whats the best time of year? ect ..... thanks

Rivers entering the Georgian bay might have some good ones, my wife got a couple decent size ones at Pointe Au Baril in a river entering the Georgian there, like 15 pounds and one between 20 and 25 pounds.

Just guessing that a lot of your waters have some good ones just not a heavily targeted species up there. My wife got them by accident while we were fishing for other species with a big chub under a slip bobber on a break line from shore 6 to 8 feet of water, deeper water near by.

A lot of ways to fish for them on purpose, cut bait, prepared bait, chicken livers on bottom rigs, slip bobber and a big chub just opens you up to other species also. We were targeting pickeral, pike, caught some a couple cats and gar also.

Anywhere you have a great lake tributary that is relatively shallow and consistently muddy you'll have a good run of spring channel cats. It will be starting very soon. I believe I will start fishing them next week at some of the smaller tribs. 3 or 4 dew worms on a hook is good early in the season then switch to cut bait like strips of sucker meat or cut shad later in the spring.