eBay - top selling and buying by postal code

SlowPoke

LOL... that's gonna go down to $327,649.. as I got screwed for the first time in 7 years, on Ebay and a guy didn't deliver/nor will he correspond for a box and spoons @ $351 !

Your guy isn't from Barrie, is he? Last summer, an imaginary "shop" there pulled a real number on me (and umpteen others). I never did get the tackle I bought, but I learned some useful things eBay never tells you:

1) When the seller routinely sells 15 cheap things at a time to one buyer, read between the lines. They can skew the feedback to look better by sending the 15pc orders correctly, and screwing people who buy 1 or 2 things - especially if each item is under $50 and the small order customers have 100% positive feedback.

2) Buyers are terrified of a negative wrecking their 100% rating, and will retract negatives if a crooked seller threatens them. Retracting takes the neg off the seller's rating summary, but you can still read the comments if you dig through the feedback pile.

3) If you call Canada Post to track down your "missing" package, they will not tell you whose name or address is on the tracking number you've been given. The # could be for anything, to anyone, from anyone, at any time. It could have nothing to do with you or the seller.

Only time I chase tackle on eBay is if I've lost or want spares of something that's discontinued. Just got half a dozen replacements for my favorite discontinued topwater from a great seller in Michigan. :thumbsup_anim: For anything that's still available in the regular market, I'm going to write off the couple extra bucks as stress prevention and the admission fee for Angler's Wonderland. What's it cost to ride the roller coasters across from Bass Pro now...$30++ a day?

Nope guy is from PA and only has one other negative.. something wrong.. filed my claim this afternoon. Don't ever buy from "lfont26201"

Only guy in Barrie I know of is top notch and even let me pick mine and Slowpoke's stuff up while his wife was over at RVh giving birth to their third child. tacklehockshop( 9011+ feedback). Six brand new 9' TDR trolling rods for $62 !

Edited by irishfield

i bought my drift sock from there, $58.99 plus taxes in any store and got it shipped to my door for $37.00. great seller tacklehockshop, shipping took awhile but it did make it here, over a week if i remember right, good communication though. What i find also is ,that what your bidding on is from some other inventory in a warehouse, i have purchased from one person only to have it shipped from almost half a country away from the seller.

Edited by walleyemen

Not sure about that walleyemen as he will let you go to his door down by Little Lake and pick the stuff up. It's an old tackle shop and he closed it to the public. Easier and more profitable to sit at the computer with his son on one knee and daughter on the other processing ebay purchases. Every wall is STACKED full of brand new packaged tackle/equipment. You can NOT browse while there. His great dane makes sure of that... lol

I've bought 60 or 70 items from Ebay. No fishing stuff, oddly enough. So far no problems. There's some really great deals on just about everything if you look hard enough. The last thing I bought was a USB connector for my new cel phone. The phone company where I bought the phone wanted $30.00 for one. I paid $1.25 and $5.00 shipping to my door. Works perfect.

Damn you Wayne I had the bid at 347.54 until some jack came and out bid me that sucked.

I wonder how many times we are bidding against each other here and how much we help the sale jump way up?

I love shopping on Ebay it can save you alot of cash to bad they did not have the CDI for my boat. I wonder how a place in the USA can still have the same part for $90 less then anyone here in Ontario?

Well Ebay stated you have 60 days to submit a dispute.. so I was giving the guy as long as possible considering how the mails been moving lately. So I submitted a dispute yesterday with Ebay as I thought if he has 10 days to respond I'm too late for Paypal. Then I tried to lodge a refund complaint with Paypal and am told it's too late.. you only have 45 days to request a refund and that I'm to keep corresponding with the seller to solve the problem. What communications... he won't respond ! So I sent them back a nasty email. Will see what Ebay does and go from there. If it's lost.. I'm not happy, but what can ya do? I'm still ahead in the long run considering the deals I've got over 7 years...but it's still not right. I just had a buyer that told me he didn't receive what I sent him... so I boxed up double what he'd bought.. expedited it at my expense and I'm out $30. So what... part of the game, not hide and slide !

Edited by irishfield

Ebay dispute resolution works but it's not as smooth as PayPal and they have a limit on payout because they eat the cost. Policies may have changed over the years but I made an eBay claim for a digital camara 5 or 6 years ago and the sent me a cheque for $250US - the limit. I was still out the difference plus shipping.

Edited by SlowPoke

I hear yah HTHM... but like I said I've done ebay for over 7 years and I'm not talking 5o cent parts. I've bought everything from $2 items to $175,000 airplanes and never been burned 'till now. I don't know how many items I've bought... but many hundred (if not over a thousand) at nothing close to retail price, so I'd say I'm ahead of the game no matter how this plays out.

I've been buying from ebay for about 5 years now...off and on. I've only ever had one issue with an item not being shipped. I lodged a complaint with paypal, and after the waiting period was over, I was fully credited. Although not a perfect system, I think overall it works well. I've saved lots of money on things like fishing vests/pouches...it's crazy what they cost here in Canada.

I buy on eBay quite often. I buy all my custom rods from eBay sellers. The savings are enormous and the rods are much nicer as you get them as you want.I tend to buy mostly from sellers who have eBay stores and their sell records in the thousands, which show they have been around for a while. If their sells are lower than 50 I will not buy, no sense taking a chance.I buy hockey cards, knives (which I collect) and camera equipment all on eBay. I have yet to be burnt. I also deal with the same sellers quite a bit , so the chances of being ripped off are less likely, just keep them in your favorite sellers list. eBay then sends you emails to let you know when they have items for bid that you are interested in.

The only thing I don't agree with is when the seller tells you he will give you a positive rating once you receive your item and give him a positive rating. I think the seller should automatically give you a positive once they receive payment, how more positive is that, getting paid right away,I mean they have our money.We should not have to wait for them to screw up on our order and then give us a bad rating because we negative them because of their nonsense. Many of my sellers agree with me and give me the positive right away.Don't be afraid to tell them.

I think the seller should automatically give you a positive once they receive payment, how more positive is that, getting paid right away,I mean they have our money.

That's exactly what I do Lundguy (I print their postage label and leave feedback next) and if someone wants to leave me negative feedback when they receive their item then that's the way it's supposed to work. Most sellers however wait to see if you leave feedback for them and then they leave theirs to match... many times automated. Doing so is a scare tactic IMHO that you'll either not leave feedback if you're not happy or you'll leave + even if you're not happy.. so that they don't ruin you're perfect feedback score in retaliation.

The squeaky wheel... got my claim initiated. It was at 51 days...

Thank you for contacting PayPal.

You are a valued member at PayPal, because you were so close to the 45

day filing date I have opened the claim for you with the seller.

The case number is PP-xxxxxxx.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,

Tamara

PayPal Resolution Services

PayPal, an eBay Company

Original Message Follows:

------------------------

"Stay in contact with the seller"!.... He won't respond and

probably because he knew about this "45 days" and stretched it out..... and

based on ebay it said I had 60 days to file a claim and I was giving the

seller as long as possible to deliver. This is nonsense that he can

take my

$###.## and not deliver anything and you won't do anything about it.

Wayne

A claim has been filed against this transaction. The seller's deadline for responding to this claim is Apr. 9, 2008. If the seller does not respond by the deadline, the claim will be decided in your favor.
Edited by irishfield

Thanks Dan.. I posted the details so others don't get caught with this. Paypal and Ebay are one and the same now, but have two different policies. Lulled into a false sense and waiting period based on Ebay stating you have 60 days to dispute.. yet Paypal is 45. Who cares about Ebay flagging the guy... you just want your funds back from Paypal !

45 days isn't enough time considering how slow parcels are moving across the border these days in both directions.

i bought a corvette last year it was a scam e-bay did nothing i had acc numbers where money was to be wired e-bay said no money changed hands they could not do any thing they were from the middle east they said i was the next hi bidder do not reply to next hi bidder second time was a charm hope all go's well wayne

i bought a corvette last year it was a scam e-bay did nothing i had acc numbers where money was to be wired e-bay said no money changed hands they could not do any thing they were from the middle east they said i was the next hi bidder do not reply to next hi bidder second time was a charm hope all go's well wayne

HUH???

You bought a corvette, but didnt pay for it?

But your weren't the high bidder?

hi stoty i missed the hi bid by 10sec then i get an e-mail from e-bay high bidder could get the funds so i was next do you the car i did they gave an acc number to send funds sounded funny called the seller in fla i had his number talked him at the start of the bid he told me the car was allready sold he told me it was a scam when i got the e-mail it had e-bay heading it looked real next one i bought was the real deal red 01 thanks

Well I'm still 100% un-ripped off on ebay after 7 years. Guy left town for three weeks and had left the box with his company shipper to mail. Was still sitting on the shippers desk when he came back. Got it today.. 24 hours before Paypal would have paid out...

204 brand new spoons (retail $4.50 to $8.75 each) and a brand new maxi-mate box ($80)... all for $300 ! Think I have enough for the charter operation now... LOL