BPS Johnny Morris Signature Series Baitcast Reels

JustinHoffman

Hello All,

With my position with Kistler rods firmed up, I'm now in the market for purchasing all new reels this year. I've narrowed my choices down to Shimano, Quantum and BPS.

I love the feel of the BPS Johnny Morris Signature Series reels, but have not had a chance to do any on-the-water testing with them as of yet. Any members of the board own one of these, and if so, what did they like or dislike about them?

With the work I do for BPS, I've been fortunate to own many of their products and have always been impressed with the quality and design. Just wondered about this reel. (Plus, with them being on sale right now, now would be my best time to buy..)

The other lines I am thinking about are the Shimano (Citica's and Curado D's) and the Quantum (Accurist and Energy PT's)

I'll probably be going with one line across the board...

Decisions, decisions.... :blink:

Thanks in advance.

Good Fishing,

Justin

Hello Justin,

With Kistler rods being so light I would figure you would want match them up with Shimano Core or Chronarch Mg reels , as standard reels would just do no justice to the weight reduction of the Kistler blank.

Think of it like owning a Ferrari and putting $50 tires on it from Candian Tire. :P

Looking forward to seeing some of your rods this season...

-sheldon

Danbo - Thanks for the heads up on the reviews. I had actually read up on most of them previous, but was hoping for some more "personal" reviews from actual members here on the board that had used them.

Sheldon - I would say the Core is a little out of my price range. The Chronarch is a bit more doable, but was hoping for something slightly less expensive. The BPS reels are supposedly quite light in weight (low profile, titanium), and I'd be curious to find out what the actual difference is between these and some of the "higher" end stuff. I know what you are saying in terms of the rods. Just want to see what my options are...

And feel free to check out the Kistler's anytime you want - I'll have a bunch here. I imagine I'll be seeing you at the Carp show, also...

Good Fishing,

Justin

Hey Guys,

Just found some info on reel weights:

Shimano Chronarch Mg - 5.9 oz

Shimano Core 100Mg - 6.081 oz

Shimano Core 100MgFv - 6.73 oz

Shimano Curado-D - 7.4 oz

Shimano Chronarch 100A - 7.9 oz

Shimano Chronarch SF - 8.4 oz

BPS Johnny Morris Elite - 8.6oz

Shimano Chronarch 100B - 9.0 oz

BPS Johnny Morris Signature - 9.4 to 9.6 oz

Quantum Energy PT - 9.5 oz

Shimano Citica D - 9.9 oz

Hmmm, the plot thickens... :unsure:

Good Fishing,

Justin

Edited by JustinHoffman

Hey Justin,

I have a chronarch Mg on a crankbait rod and just love it. It's very smooth and sooo light. Casts like a dream. I'm a shimano snob though. I've seen guys at the lodge burn out drags on Quantum stuff in one season but I've heard they have made improvements lately. I'm adding a 201Curado DHSV this year to my line-up.

I agree with sheldon though, those Kistler rods are begging you for some top of the line reels!

Happy shopping!

Hi Justin;

I have two Johnny Morris Signature reels. These reels change a little each year, mine are circa 2005.

The reels are of good quality. They feel strong, and are velvety smooth for normal casting. I prefer the Chronarch for pitching, but have never had a problem with the BPS reels. Frankly, I would rank them below the Chronarch SF.

On the other hand they cost about half as much as a Chronarch.

Garry2r's

Thanks for the insight, guys...

I think I'll pick up a couple of Johnny Morris's - for the price and quality I have heard about, you can't really lose. I'll also look into a Chronarch or two...

Good to hear the reels have served you well, Garry. Good news for sure.

Good Fishing,

Justin

Justin,

I've had one for about four years and just picked up my second one. My son has had one for a number of years and just picked up anothere one as well. My brother has one as well as my buddy. Everyone has nothing but good to say about them.

Nicest reel I've ever owned, smooth as silk. I must say that I also picked up a Curado last year and have nothing but good to say about it as well.

I am thinking of getting the STEEZ REEL ( spinning ) . What's the word on the water about this reel. IS it worth the money or is it all about the price. I know it it so light and feels great but does it perform like a five hunder dollar reel should . WHAT'S THE WORD FROM THE POEPLE IN THE KNOW !

THanks Keith.

Edited by mrpike

Hi there Mr. Pike;

You might want to start a new topic for the Steez Spinning reel, just so that more people see your question.

I have only read reviews, but the consensus is that it's a wonderful reel.

Personally I think the point of diminishing returns on spinning reels is around $150 - $175.00.

In other words around the Shimano Stradic...

Unlike casting reels, where additional dollars pay for closer tolerances etc, spinning reels are not complicated machines.

Also personally, I wouldn't invest in a high-end Daiwa reel...

In Canada, Shimano has their head office and repair depot in Peterborough.

Daiwa closed their Canadian facilities a number of years ago.

That's not to say that there are no parts or service, but you're dealing with a third party.

I doubt that Rocky's Reel Repair is going to have parts in stock for such a rara aves.

I as well have a johnny morris,and for 2 yrs have put it through some very serious fishing and im impressed its still very smooth,and a very good sensitive drag too,i will buy another no problem,im sure mine is 10bearing too,well worth the price.... :thumbsup_anim::clapping::Gonefishing:

Edited by fishindevil