Fishing line

kickingfrog

tried 12lb spiderwire stealth this spring and i couldn't believe how far i can cast it with lighter weights. also bought a load of (cheap) dyneema ultra thin 30lbs and spooled on my daughter's reel, she normally gets nests on the 3rd or 4th cast with mono but with the dyneema she didn't get a single knot, that with the wind throwing the line wildly... so far so good, i don't think i'm gonna go back to mono anytime soon.

Edited by bravo_3

I use PowerPro 99% of the time. If I were to use Mono I'd be using Berkley XL.

While we're on the subject of lines. You folks who buy PowerPro, be careful as there seems to still be some counterfeit stock moving around. Check their site out to give you an idea of what to look for.

http://www.powerpro.com/press/news/details...RESS_NEWS_ID=23

And the powerpro.ca site looks a little wonky too me - not nearly as nice as the regular site think those may be counterfeit??

Edited by mepps

I like Stren for it's castability. It seems to have very little memory where some others (XT) tend to spring off the spool. As far as more expensive line Powerpro braid gets the nod from me too. Just thought I'd mention that my buddy tried Vanish and a week later it kept breaking over and over. Maybe we just got a bad batch or something,but I've never seen suuch a brittle weak line.

Edited by kennyman

Just thought I'd mention that my buddy tried Vanish and a week later it kept breaking over and over. Maybe we just got a bad batch or something,but I've never seen suuch a brittle weak line.

I share your pain - I'll never use Vanish again. Oh, and did I mention the terrible customer service - you'd think they never had a single complaint with this inferior line :o

Yep same here , Vanish sucks! Bought it once and only once.I'm going to try there new 100%florocarbon.Hope it is a better product.I currently use Power Pro braid,Seagur florocarbon for leader and Trilene XT for mono.

I use Power pro, and Tuff Line interchangeably. They are both great lines. In the past both lines were the same price in the USA, but Tuff Line was cheaper in Canada.

I think your wrong about them coming out of the same factory though...Tuff Line is made by Western Filament. That company makes everything from sewing thread to tow ropes for Tug boats!

There are several different Tuff Lines made of Spectra fiber. The one that is the smallest diameter for a given pound test is Tuff Line XP. It is the same diameter per pound test as Powerpro. The others aren't wound under tension and have diameters more like Fire Line.

I have used the new Crystal Fireline, but I'm not impressed...I still have 30 pound gray Fireline on a couple of casting reels. I put that line on in 2005!

I have also used Spider Stealth. I had no bad experiences with it. Recently I bought some Spider Ultra-Cast Invisi-Braid. I don't like it at all! It is very loosely braided so it is quite bulky compared to PP or TL. It has also broken in the middle when I was attempting to pull it off a snag. If it broke at the knot, I could except that, but to break in the middle indicates weak spots in the line...that's poor quality control to me.

This is what I use, and LOVE it

e6363a3744138abe7c85281424fba230.jpg

Has anybody tried this yet??

ShakespeareUglyBraid-L.jpg

Not advertissing for anybody, I just enjoy posting pics instead :lol::lol:

I used it this year for ice fishing Dan found it a bit slippery when it gets cold.

I don't think I would use it in the summer months.

Most years I have used Trilene XT Extra tough .I like this mono alot, comes in green.

Last year I used Stren Superbraid which I absolutely love and the colour does NOT fade.

I have just purchased some power pro green and a roll of red from Wallymart.

I purchased this line because many of you folks like it .So this year I will see if it is

what many of you say it is.

Just spooled up my baitcaster with Stren Super Braid.

I will be trying some Trilene Florocarbon to see what the big hype is about.

I will never buy Seaguar florocarbon again :wallbash: this crap is fragile and breaks like glass

expensive and has very little strenghth very briddle.

MTP

Great stuff. Lots of ideas, info and opinions. For me the new braids have their place, I just wish it was quieter comin' through the line guides.

The big thing I think is matching the line to the rod, to the application, to the conditions and the target spices. You might get away with having one of these things out of sink, but two or more is going to lead to broken line or a broken rod, backlashes, lost fish or fish too played out.

Having a few different knots in your arsenal helps as well. For me that just doesn't mean being able to tie the knot siting in my living room, it means being able to tie it: bobbing in a boat, in failing light with cold hands and a buddy who has landed two fish while you were trying to see the #%@!& eye of the hook.

Many of the major fishing lines have information on their web sites about how to tie knots with their products.

Tight lines (pun fully intended)

One more point.

It has been mentioned that red line is invisible under water...I have seen this in some advertising as well.

The fact is THIS IS NOT TRUE!

Red is the first colour to disappear is true, but once the RED colour is gone, the line appears BLACK.