calidonia damn

mikebuns

drove down to the reserve the other day for smokes and saw quite alot of people fishing at the bottom of the damn.

now other than steelhead

what else could you expect to catch there 'cause i was thinkin about weting a line next time i pick up smokes

any info would be apreciated

The Grand can produce a mixed bag of fish, and can be productive. But the dam is not the only place you can wet a line, there are thousands of shore / wader spots to fish between the dam and York..

One word of caution though... it is Ontario's third most polluted river according to government studies and only gets worse as it heads towards Dunnville and empties into Lake Erie. Sewage, farm runoff and fertilizers appear to be the main culprits. It is only superseded by two Toronto rivers...

Keeping fish from the river for consumption is definably not advisable knowing this information and would be foolhardy.

Gerritt.

90% of guys there are targeting fish that are outa season ...Walleye Closed Trout Closed ...as for the river being not safe to eat fish your on crack buddie ..keep reading your books ..

Maybe that is the problem.... I do read.

G

when seasons open u can catch walleye bass pike catfish trout carp and anything else thats in the grand i believe catfish and carp are open all year round and they are safe to eat (wouldnt try carp) and be sure to eat with moderation lol

Edited by bassmaster4

Last year I kept a few bass from the Grand (Between Cambridge and Paris) and they were the best tasting bass I had ever eaten. Mind you I was very hungry :P

Thats because they were marinated in the Grand River.... called raw sewage my friend LOL!

If you want a delicacy.. try Carp from the Don River.... Even better with more marination!

G

Thats because they were marinated in the Grand River.... called raw sewage my friend LOL!

If you want a delicacy.. try Carp from the Don River.... Even better with more marination!

G

isn't that the pot calling the kettle black lol......raw sewage....lol....Gerrit you're from the Hammer, you should know all about sewage in the water....

isn't that the pot calling the kettle black lol......raw sewage....lol....Gerrit you're from the Hammer, you should know all about sewage in the water....

LOL! I am in Hamilton and grew up in Mount Hope and have Fished the Grand more times then I can count... as it is local to me... having said that there is still no way I would have a grand river fish on my plate. Nor would I consume a fish from the docks @ Stelco or Dofasco!

LOL thanks for the chuckle brother, I need it :)

Happy Green Beer day to you.

G

LOL! I am in Hamilton and grew up in Mount Hope and have Fished the Grand more times then I can count... as it is local to me... having said that there is still no way I would have a grand river fish on my plate. Nor would I consume a fish from the docks @ Stelco or Dofasco!

LOL thanks for the chuckle brother, I need it :)

Happy Green Beer day to you.

G

Don't worry, i wouldn't eat anything from calidonia to fergus lol...gross....why don't i just lick the handrails at Union Station....lol

Don't worry, i wouldn't eat anything from calidonia to fergus lol...gross....why don't i just lick the handrails at Union Station....lol

LOL! Probably better off! (shudder at the thought)

For some reason the fish on The Simpsons comes to mind lol

PS.

My intent of my original post was to help someone that wanted to fish the Grand.... it was in no way meant to prevent the loss in sales on a couple dozen worms...

G

After all that has been said I do eat the occasional eye from the Grand, the lower Grand. As for the local harbour I have never eaten anything from there, yet. Many people do though and they seem to be in decent health, at least they aren't glowing green anyway.

I also enjoy Lake Erie perch and they are healthier looking than the worm infested ones I have caught in Simcoe or Couchiching.

As for eating bass. What's wrong with them? I find that smallmouth taste fine the occasional time I have eaten them and my son says that he likes the taste of silver bass. Either is OK and are no worse tasting than sole or ocean perch and then many people love salmon, I don't. Personal preferences I guess.

I respect your opinion 2r's, I always have you know that.... But reading the stuff I do about the Grand and having pretty much grown up on it.... it is in bad shape.. Hopefully it will continue to improve.

The Grand Flows into Erie and there are alot of resident fish.. alot of what I have read and studied suggests things get worse as you go down stream... given this may seem obvious.. But it is better to be informed... then the other possible consequences...

This watershed is in trouble, if it wasn't there would be no need for The Friends Of The Grand or the GRCA etc.... The development going on along its banks will only make this waterway worse... The above clubs know that this river is not well and are working to raise the funds needed to correct/help it along... but the river cannot sustain the amount of pollutants being put into it, it cannot naturally absorb them in the quantity they are being released in.... it is just not large enough...

I apologize that some here may not agree... but to them I say Google is your friend. To the naysayers I say "would you consume fish directly from a sewage outflow?" well... all poop travels downstream and the Grand is recognized for being poor by Environment Canada based on these facts.. sewage is pumped directly into the Grand. From what I can understand there have been multiple lawsuits against these plants and developers.. but to be honest.... it is just the cost of doing business for them.

G.

I grew up on Glancaster road! They put the new runway right through our house. Anywhere near you Gerritt?

Yup I Grew up on White Church and Hwy 6 Kitty Corner from the Runways 6 Restaurant... remember that place? now called Sunny Side up I think? Oppp out of business too!

Little white house.. about 4 acres.

Nice to see a fellow Mount Hopian!

I went to Ancaster H.S, then Western University you?

L0R 1W0 LOL! <--- all of mount hope is the same lol

G

Yup I Grew up on White Church and Hwy 6 Kitty Corner from the Runways 6 Restaurant... remember that place? now called Sunny Side up I think? Oppp out of business too!

Little white house.. about 4 acres.

Nice to see a fellow Mount Hopian!

I went to Ancaster H.S, then Western University you?

L0R 1W0 LOL! <--- all of mount hope is the same lol

G

Yes I know the place; the house and the greasy spoon. You must know my nephew; he grew up just past the cemetery behind the restaurant and would be about your age. Darren Little is his name (I married his mom’s sister).

I graduated AH&VS as well (in 1979 or 80) before going to Mohawk, then Brock.

I guess I’ll shut up before we have to label this “NF”