Duty charges....how much ??

lew

I'm ordering an item from the States, but the company doesn't know what the duty charges will cost me and I was wondering if anyone would have a rough estimate.

The item is about 28 pounds with a value of $150 + taxes and is being shipped by USPS and the shipping charge is $15

I don't expect the duty will be too much but I hate surprises....any thoughts ??

If it was made in the USA/Mexico Lew there'll be no duty... Since it's coming via the post office... $5 customs + tax collection of value in Cdn funds. Now if they screw up and ship it UPS... they spin the crown and anchor wheel and the last one I got nailed for $71 brokerage.... :wacko:

Edited by irishfield

Yeah, it's usually not bad but if those damn brokerage firms hit you it's ridiculous. I've honestly had shipments where the brokerage charged me more than the actual duty ? they pay the duty without asking you and then charge you 150% on top of the duty. :( I have no idea how they get away with it, must be bank owned businesses.

I usually just add 13% to the final total of the purchase and figure that's what will be the final price when I get it at my door or close to that and decide whether it's still a deal at that price, sometimes customs miss it and you pay nothing, but not to often.

Edited by GbayGiant

Lew PM me if you have brokerage issues.... I have a brokerage account and the costs are nowhere near what UPS would charge...We order TONS of stuff from the states..

I am always here and will reply in short order... PS... UPS will bend you over backwards and not even kiss you when they are done...

Let me know if there are any issues and I will get it brokered for you.

G