Cottage rentals

Radnine

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have a cottage rental question.

I was looking into a cottage resort on Clear Lake (apparently it has a “Clearview”) and a couple of things jumped out at me and I wondered if they are standard for the territory or not.

The price for a 2 bedroom cottage jumps almost $300 in the high season (from $670 to $940), there is an extra $75 charge per week for a lakefront cottage, and to dock your boat while you stay is $12 per day.

Are these standard costs as far as you can tell?

Any thoughts are appreciated as always.

Jim

Hey Jim,

A lot of resorts have different fees for different options. High Season, Waterfront and Dockage are all common. Some places include them and some charge a premium.

Have a look around and ask. $8-$15 is standard Docking for most places, but if you can find some, they allow you to dock for free and load for free.

Just look around and see what you can find.

Mike

Pretty typical.

Some "high season" rates are double the "off season" and should be called "gouge season". Some cottages consider high season after Victoria Day to and including Labour Day.

Dock rates are normal and almost penalizes you for not renting a boat.

Extra person rates really tick me off.

I understand they need to make a profit but it's like jacking up the price of a shovel/umbrella during a snow/rain storm.

-Brian

I rented for years different places up north and not once was I charged by the day any docking fees. I always took my boat and never rent, I was never penalized for this.I also rented right on the lake and never paid extra. There are thousands of places to go and to pick from. Take your time,no need to pay more than necessary. Just put a post in here asking for good places to stay with what you fancy on your trip.(such as fishing,biking,beach etc. etc) Many folks in here most likely can give you some good recommendations.I also can recommend some great fishing camps.

Take your time,no need to pay more than necessary.

Good advice. Not all camps charge for the little extras and those that do may still be cheaper depending on you wants/needs.

Other charges that comes to mind is for dogs, BBQ's, hydro at the dock etc... All the little extras can add up to or more than what an 'all inclusive' price will cost you.

-Brian

I agree all these charges are not uncommon but if you look around you can find some great spots to stay without being gouged. The one that would concern me the most is $300 extra for peak season. That just tells me that they know they are going to be full and that the place will be very busy. I like to have a bit less traffic if possible.

the high seaon gouge is bad enough , but what really bugs me is the nickel and dime once you're there.

parking , wood , docking , launching your boat \ more to get back out [ the afore mentioned] extra person, lake front

access . give me one price so i'm not carrying a city-sized wallet in my swimming trunks to cover surprise charges.

homework is the key .

Edited by waterwolf

I don't have a problem with the added charges as long as I know about them before I go. I base my decision to go or not go, partly on total cost.

Now if they sprung them on me after getting there watch out.

As for premium rates during summer this is almost always the case. Yes they will be full. Supply & demand. Any camp not generally full at this time of year would make me uneasy. To constantly have openings during the summer without having to book long in advance may be a bad sign. Good operations tend to have a lot of repeat customers year after year especially, during the busy summer season.

Get all the info beforehand & make your decision based on your needs & budget.

Good Luck: Rick

Edited by Woodsman

Just my experience rates during the early or late season are cheaper and seem to climb with schools out, just more demand for cottages during the summer for families. Some allow dogs some don`t, extra charge at some. Off season rates are probably an attempt to extend the season and a far less demand?

Boat with a cottage expect to pay more, more with a motor. Fire wood? Some use it some don`t, some areas it has to be brought in and its expensive a reasonable fee isn`t out of the normal.

Docking? very few places I have been didn`t include it some way, either built into the price of the cabin rental or separate.

It is nice knowing ahead of time exactly how much it will end up costing you.

Jim: I've experienced the same thing, at least in the few places that I have stayed. They have what they call off-season rates or discounts that lead into early June and then again in mid-September or so. So, during the high summer season, the rates are generally higher. For the same cabin, I've seen it as low as $50.00 to about a hundred +. Can't say that I've ever seen a $300.00 jump for the busy season - that must be a very popular place and they can get that premium from their customers. Other places have the same rate, regardless of the time of year.

Docking fees seem to be gaining popularity and are usually around 10 to 15 per day ... or 50 to 75 per week. For a weekly rental, I've seen a bit of a discount. I don't mind the charge if the docks are kept up and in good/safe order. Most places I've stayed have very well-kept docks. Others ... well, not all the docking fee is put back into the dock.

Also, for the launching and parking, when I am staying on-site, I've never been charged for these. This assumes they have their own boat launch and parking facility. I have stayed places where the camp does have it's own ... so we have to pay for the service.

Surcharges for pets are also increasing as the number of camps that permit pets seems to be dwindling. We have two dogs that go with us on all trips, so my list of camps is not that great. Some places charge for them, and others do not.

To this point, I've not encountered any surprise charges, once I reach the camp. I've been very lucky with all charges, in writing, and up front. I receive a reservation confirmation, with all the charges and taxes clearly marked. To this point, I've not hand any problems with the camps that I have stayed at.

Take your time in selecting the camp and don't hesitate to contact the camp directly and ask specific questions and see of you can get things in writing. It's your trip and your holiday ... and you'll want to enjoy it to the full. Lots of great and knowledgable folks on this board that will be more than happy to help you out.

Edited by Rich Clemens

It's funny but for a fisherman, the best times are usually early spring and fall when the prices are cheaper but the weathers the worst. :)

The lakefront for a extra $75 is a new one too me but I imagine it's the nicest/biggest cottage as well so that could be why.

First of all, thanks as usual for the great advice.

I was originally looking at cottage resorts as I figured that they might be more reasonable as with more than one cottage, they might not have to charge as much. What I am finding is quite the opposite. The nickel and diming for everything annoys me. I realize that you have to make hay while the sun shines, but damn man! Why would I pay $10.00 to launch and recover my boat at the resort? I mean it’s not like the ramp costs money, it just sits there used or not. What ever happened to providing your guest/customer with a service? Not having to go off site to launch your boat should be a value added thing, not a source of income (charge outsiders, fine, but not your guests).

I have found some lovely single privately owned cottages that are very reasonable and the best part is that there are no extras! (www.cottagelink.com). And, there are some very reasonable places. People looking to help with the mortgage/expenses as opposed to gouging for all they are worth, or it being the primary source of income.

I found another interesting thing in that a lot of the cottage resorts will not take credit or debit cards. I know retailers that accept cards pay for the service and that is why resort owners might shy away. The thing is that I have a problem with a place that charges me tax on anything that they don’t accept cards for (I won’t buy a pizza with cash). No paper trail = no income reporting = me paying 13% that is likely not getting passed on.

Thanks again.

Don't forget the linens charge, $12-25 per BED!!!

The last place we stayed at had a freakin perkulater coffee maker. $1300 +++++ for the week and i had to set this piece of crap up .... needless to say, i didn't have coffee in the morning till i got back at 10 am. I was in the office and this 70 year old man was asking where the coffee maker was, lol, the lady told him it was this silver rocket looking thingy. My bro inlaw's was missing the filter thing, i came in on day one and he had some coffee for me. I started to drink it and half way down i got a mouthful of grounds... nice!!

I hate extra costs but like some have mentioned, i look into all costs, and form my price from that.

Good luck, and yes those private cottages are nice, we did a few recently, just watch out, there is a security deposit and you have no control over what they nail you for. We were nailed $40 for BBQ gas which in the ad said bbq included and said nothing about refilling it (we had one that stipulated we had to fill tank at end of week, but not this one) and the owner came around the cottage every day, his son came with a huge dog on friday around dinner time and sat on the private dock, didn't we pay for this.. another one we rented said the depth at the dock was 3 -5 fow, it was more like 1-1 1/2 fow and i had to get in the swamp and move a log or two just to be able to moor our boats, had to use trolling motor to get in and out as we were in a log filled swamp, cottage was nice though but you had to vaccuum, dust, clean everything and be out of there before 10 AM or risk losing some/all of your security deposit, kind of stressful wondering what the owner expects is clean before deducting money from your deposit..

Good luck, we are still searching for an ideal setting where we want to go back every year.Going on 8 th year now

John

We stayed at Three Castles in Buckhorn last year, and although the cottages are not the most high class, the cottage had everything we need. We were very close to the water and if we needed something they help us out. There was a BBQ, full kitchen with coffee maker, full size stove and fridge and all utensils. They cottages were a bit older but were very very clean and it was quiet although being full. We had full use of the docks and ramp and parking for the trailer and truck. It was a great experience and it was relatively cheap. We went the last week of July/First week of August and we paid only $560 for the week.

I would go back there for sure if we decide to head up that way again. And I would recommend it to anyone going that direction. Its not a 5 Star resort but if you want comfort, really nice owners and a clean place to stay have a look. They wouldnt even let me pay. I wanted to pay the first day but they said just wait wait wait see if you enjoy it and like staying and come back at the end of the week to pay. No one is this trustworthy anymore especially with a younger couple.

All and all it was great.

Mike