Bass Pro - Bad form!

goober

Knockoffs and copys have been going on since before fishing tackle went big....post WW2. There has also been an equally age old item whereby, a large vender like BPS is able to get a manufacturer to build an item at their specs. in order to control margin and separate markets. Has anyone noted the package by chance? This can often speak volumes if one reads through it carefully.

outdoorguy61

I picked up a few little Cleo's only to notice they were BPS Little Leo's... Like come on, atleast find an original name for your baits instead of trying to sell them because of another manufacturers reputation.

I put them back.

BPS loves guys like you Bill.

Instead of being happy that a store actually gives you variations on the "same" product in order for you to take part in comparison shopping - it becomes an issue.

Instead of being happy that a retailer gives you the "option" to buy a similar-styled bait or lure for

See here is my issue. I dont have a problem with the Generic brands although for Spoons, I think Eppinger makes the best, there is just something about the action that is slightly different and I will gladly pay the difference when/if I ever buy another.

But the 6" Grubs, I was confused. I know a lot of people that buy them and the guy told me they just didnt fit in. But you can go down their Musky aisle and pick up (cant remember the make) but they are $16 for 2.

I find the Power Grubs or Magnum Grubs if you will, work a lot better. I have to search for them and I pick them up whenever I find them. The Creme/White seem to work the best for me.

They need to keep both, offer both, dont discontinue one. Offer variety and people will pay.

ie. if there were a section of Pink Lures, I would have to buy my girlfriend something every time I am there. Thank god they dont carry fishergirl yet hahaha

This post is hilarious. Umm.. gee why would they put their knock off cheap product right beside the real thing? Guess you've never been to any store anywhere, because right next to the name brands is usually "No Name" or something of that sort of the same product, and usually it's just as good and way cheaper.

since i sell retail i know a bit about things like this. In some cases brands actually do the private label product for retailers. So the bass pro shop brands could very well be the same product as berkley, strike king etc.... and its just in a different package.

I know bass pro shop, walmart, ctc, homedepot, lowes, homehardware all do this. It helps promote there business.

And yes sometimes it is product made offshore that they can sell at higher margin, but alot of cases its for there promotional benifit more then profit.

Cheers!

Cabin Fever! It is getting hold of us all. Guess these threads are helping to keep the board up and running and are providing some entertainment.

Quit complaining. Knock offs have been around forever and will continue to be. Just be happy that there is a selection to choose from. Where would you like them to display the knock off Cleos? Over in the womens clothing section? Now that would be embarrassing for you and the ladies! :blink:

Edited by pikehunter

I was going to say the same thing as LBH quite often a company like Bass Pro will get Acme to make its own line of lures often cheaper $ , so it's good for the consumer, although when something is less pricey we tend to think it;s not as good, I used to be a packaging mechanic at Christie Bakery in To. My line was the premium cracker line, every now and then we would run a private label like Sobey's brand of cracker, which would be cheaper than ours, yet I would have people tell me they aren't as good tasting?? so that is probably the reason.