Grandma Lures and Pete Maina Low Profile Reel

fishinggeek

The Grandmas are a great lure, your right very similar to the jake in style and both will catch fish. As for the reel I'm not sure how the low profile ones are but I do own the normal or round and it works well. That's actually the first time i've seen his reels in a low profile model.

Hi Guys,

Your fearless leader here notified of this question. Glad he did too, as I haven't been by here in a while to say hi ... seems I get ever busier ... or, maybe I'm just slower :w00t: or :asshat:

Is it really cold there too?

As far the reels go, I like the new, low profile ones for smaller muskie lures and pike rods using 60 to 80 lb. range Spiderwire braid. I still mainly use the large reel for the majority of of muskie applications though. Pike guys really like the reel and some folks just like lower profile. I'm not a palmer (hold rod in front of reel on cork) - so profile itself isn't important.

Link to new reel here: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...t=SearchResults

With both reels - they can be matched with rod series for a reduced combo price of $149 as below

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...t=SearchResults

Both the lure are fairly similar in style and action; lip designs are different and as noted Grandma has thinner body.

Pete

I'll second what Pete said, the Maina combo at Bass Pro is on for $149.99 as the regular price in Canada. I'm not sure if it includes the new low profile reel. I have been told by reliable sources that Pete fishes exclusively with his brand of rod/reel. If they work fine for him, seeing as he is one of THE muskie authorities, they should not be a problem for us lesser mortals.

Pete's combos are the real deal. I have two reels (5.2:1) and two 8' 6" MH rods that serve me well. I've let three guys use them and all three will have their own in 2008. I've used mine for three seasons and feel lost when going back to a 7' 6" rod.

I expect something in return for this honest review..........and that's safe passage six to eight times each season between Eau Claire and Duluth. ..........especially around Trego.

HI All,

Thanks for the good words and thoughts here on the product. Safe passage assurred, certainly :blush:

FYI the combo price is available with both regular and new low profile reels. Really is an exceptional discount they offer with that.

Sorry to report still no luck for lefties. And gosh, I hear it a lot ... and every year I report to corporate that quite a few folks looking for lefty reels, but apparently the tooling is pretty expensive, they don't have it existing in larger style reels, and experience in sales with smaller reels hasn't been enough for them to want to spend the tooling dollars. Maybe we just need more lefties out there.

Stay warm!

Pete