Temagami

johnnyb

Hey all...I am kicking around the idea of hitting Temagami for lake trout this winter. Without a snow machine, should I even bother heading up there? Are there smaller lakes in the area worth hitting?

Any help is welcome...thanks!

Johnny....you don't need a machine. Not sure how far the road goes right now from the town boat ramp... but at least past my place thanks to my 2 neighbours. In the hub (take the Lake Temagami Access Rd about 5 miles South of town)... there are ice roads plowed to many places and you can drive out... get off to the side and get down to business. Just be sure to walk a good distance from the road before drilling holes... or the locals will get a tad ticked with ya!

I'll be able to tell you exactly what's happening on the 19th when I get back.

Nope...we have confirmed reports that there are at least some fish in Temagami..or maybe 'were' is a better word since they were kept :lol:

Kudos. The pickings have always been few and far between for me too. But there are fish to be had, it just makes catching one that much more rewarding! (chuckle)

good luck and stay close to the ice road

cheers

HD

I found a cottage on an island....the owners aren't using it that weekend (I hope, so I thought I would just jimmy the window and use it) and leave 5 or so

bucks to cover the cost of the new window they will need

the food I ate, the booze I drank and the coffee table that will get broken when I fall over drunk....ok maybe I will leave 10 bucks

Nope...we have confirmed reports that there are at least some fish in Temagami..or maybe 'were' is a better word since they were kept :lol:

I shoulda thrown the few I caught back in....I feel bad now for you guys headin' up :Gonefishing:

I'm tryin to get a group of 4 interested in going back up again between the short trout hard water season...ya never know, I might see you up there Wayne!! ;)

LOL Steve... Like I told you, if you can afford to put a hit on one of four.. there's room for you!

Johnny, there are lots of back lakes as well for specks and splake.... some with drive to access and easy access off HWY 11. Parking is just the problem so you need to be there early...because the ones that park in the snowplow turn around get towed. PM me and I'll hook you up with Jim that owns the tackle shop up there for directions (if he's not already gone to Labrador for caribou hunt)

Edited by irishfield

LOL Steve... Like I told you, if you can afford to put a hit on one of four.. there's room for you!

Johnny, there are lots of back lakes as well for specks and splake.... some with drive to access and easy access off HWY 11. Parking is just the problem so you need to be there early...because the ones that park in the snowplow turn around get towed. PM me and I'll hook you up with Jim that owns the tackle shop up there for directions (if he's not already gone to Labrador for caribou hunt)

Wayne....I'm pretty sure that we will cross paths at least once this year :thumbsup_anim: I'm lookin forward to it!!

I'll either be up for the Victoria Day weekend in May at Temagami Lake Lodge or for a week June 1 - 8 with some other buddies that are stayin at Rick's new place...

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter

I found a cottage on an island....the owners aren't using it that weekend (I hope, so I thought I would just jimmy the window and use it) and leave 5 or so

bucks to cover the cost of the new window they will need

the food I ate, the booze I drank and the coffee table that will get broken when I fall over drunk....ok maybe I will leave 10 bucks

Better bring your own booze :lol:

Cupboard is always full, ready for me friends, Phil ! He just may not know where it's stashed for the winter.....

We're really getting away from helping out Johnny! Again, lots of options up that way Johnny, but consider travel times and where to stay. Temagami shores has rooms by the night... and ice fishing packages as well where they will take you out to their huts down past my place. I suspect they are out around O'Connor Island or Ferguson Island right now and getting into Whities by day and 'eyes by night around O'Connor Island. Heard the lure for the evening was a small green little cleo. Last year it was a Salmo in perch colour.

Lake Trout doesn't open until Friday the 15th and closes 3rd Sunday of March. There is also a CTV $100 a hole derby on March 15th with 500 holes/tickets being sold. $25,000 in CASH prizes if all holes sold, plus other large prizes.

Edited by irishfield