Lawn tractor with blower or separate machines?

Rizzo

So it snows a lot here in Barrie I've found out, and shovelling is not a favorite hobby. The wife and I have just purchased a place outside of the city where the lawn is big enough (just under an acre) that I need a riding mower. The driveway is also probably a bit too long to shovel (75 feet?). So do I get a blower attachment for the lawn tractor (which may be costly), OR get a separate snowblower and use the lawn tractor only in the summer? Please understand I have zero experience with either of these pieces of equipment, so keep 'er simple! Thanks for any input or advice.

Your lawn tractor would need a PTO (power take off) to drive a snowblower. If you have one, its a good choice. Not sure if you are talking about a lawn mower or a small tractor.

If you have a 4X4 ATV, you might consider a plow attachment for the front, but I would rather seperate blower myself.

hope this helps.

Edited by Riparian

Cant help you with the snowblower part but if you are planning on hooking a snowblower to the front of you tractor and using it year round,go with QUALITY!Most of the Home Depot/MTD/Husquvarna stuff is crap!Might work well for years just cutting grass in the summer but when you start adding equipment to the junk they will fall apart.Do some research and talk to you neighbors about what they use.Congrats on having a place with a little land and a long driveway!

Joe

Hey Rizzo, glad you managed to find a new place!!! If you have several thousand to spend then you can get a kubota that will cut grass in the summer and move snow in the winter....otherwise, get each one separately. I picked up my Airens blower this year, and have dreams of getting a riding mower in the not too distant future :P or is that fantasies/wishful thinking ;)

Maureen

talk to you neighbors about what they use

that's good advice! I actually did that last night (we met one of the neighbours). He had everything..lawn tractor with blower And a separate snowblower! I asked what others are doing and it seemed to be 50/50 split.

get a kubota that will cut grass in the summer and move snow in the winter

you read my mind Maureen. If I do go with a "combo unit" I have priced out a 15 hp Kubota that can handle a blower if you add a bit of weight and chains on the tires.

Have to consider storage too. A snowblower would fit nicely in the garage, tractor/blower might have to be driven up from the shed in the backyard...either that or convince my wife to park outside so the Kubota can have a comfy bed in the garage!

Take it from a guy that works on this stuff all the time; the right tool for the right job. You can put a blower on your lawn tractor but that isn't what they are desigined for. Get a lawn tractor to cut your grass and a snow blower to clear the snow. You'll be much happier in the long run!

Cliff is right... so many people go after the all in one's and they just don't seem to do all the jobs well... For your Turf l would get a Wright... its a standup or sit down Turf eating machine with a Zero turning radius its an ugly yellow color (Sorry Yellow Boat) but it should eat that acer up in about 30 min once you get use to useing the machine.

Before you go out and buy find out what your spare time is worth to you. For example my spare time is worth $120 an hour thats how much l would charge someone for takeing up my spare time (things l don't want to do). So getting a Mower that will do it faster is worth it to me.

The Snow blower l would make sure it can handle 2.5 ft of snow. After all you do live in Barrie.

Congrats on the new Place.

At the end of March l will be doing a post on Turf Maintenace Just a Pay back for all the people that have helped me on OFC...

Peace Ken

I have to agree with Cliff, different jobs different equipment. No experience with snowblowers though, I use farmers, or call someone with a pickup and plow. Much bigger drive though and it`s gravel.

Gas station by me, an open all nighter, has guys that plow leave business cards there. I just make a call, 20-30 bucks to do mine depending on how much snow. Better than the wife and kids trying to shovel.