ATTENTION! All Bottom-Fishing Members . . . . . .

Photoz

:whistling:I know there are a lotta people reading this board regularly who have occasion to bottom fish . . . . more carp than anything . . . . but also (like myself) often bottom fish 'bows & salmon. The way I've always done is a simple hook, leader, and barrel swivel with an egg sinker which either could slide free, or was blocked with a split-shot above the swivel. This works fine as long as the water is relatively still, and calm. But . . . . in the current, or large waves, the 'egg' sinker has a tendency to roll a lot. I tried pounding the 'egg' sinker flat, then re-drilling the hole, but soon found this left some rough spots, which chewed up 4 or 6 pound mono in a hurry! Then one day I saw a fellow carper down Hamilton way with a FLAT sinker . . . . aptly called a 'coffin' sinker . . . (it's shaped the same as a coffin) which he told me he picked up at Fishing World. Upon calling F. W., I found they did try to keep 'em in stock, but they were usually cleaned right out within days of a shipment arriving. I made sure for several years that I was there when some arrived, but there seemed to be a problem getting enough for the last few years . . . . supplier problems . . . . . then the price more than doubled in a matter of a couple years . . . lead shortage in Eastern Europe? I checked tackle shops EVERYWHERE I went, even had my Brit buddy try (unseccessfully) to hunt some down in England. NOBODY, not Cabellas, not Wackerbaits or even B. P. S., had even heard of 'em? So o o o o . . .. . last summer one of my fellow carpers up in Peterpatch who needs a hobby while all the local waterways are locked down for the winter, said he was gonna check around and see if he could either find, or have molds custom-made for this purpose, and make enough for personal use. Just last month he got in touch, told me he got the molds, and equipment for melting & pouring the hot lead, and even was able to make vents in his basement so he could do this indoors. Last week he sent me some samples . . . . . even BETTER than the 'coffin' sinkers . . . . no corners to wedge into the rocky botton where we often fish, even aerodynamic in design for slightly better casts. I IMMEDIALELY suggested he try to market these to fellow anglers . . . . . but he's a bit hesitant, mainly because if there WAS enough demand, making a half dozen sinkers at a time wouldn't pay much . . . . plus the cost of shipping this lead is quite pricey . . . . . he sent a pound of sinkers (8) to me by XpressPost . . .. ONE day delivery . . . . about $7.50!

ANYHOOOOOOOOO . . . . IF he could figure a way to mass produce these things & a cheap way to ship 'em, how many of you think it's a good idea? Would you use them if the price was reasonable? Unfortunately, it would be impossible to even come close to the price of 'egg' sinkers . . . but they're a much better product.

med_gallery_77_129_72272.jpg

Seen pictured here are the 4 'teardrop' sizes that can be made; 28, 42, 56, & 84 gram. When you can get 'em, the coffin sinkers come in 20, 25, 35, 50, 60, 65, & 85 gram. (I believe an ounce translates into 28 grams?) :unsure:

all you have to do is take the egg sinker cut the swivel, insert needle in the hole, flaten it and remove the needle.

redrill....what??? lead melts fast. oh and if you will decide to massproduce, i want a cut for idea :whistling:

Edited by drwxr

I would buy them at even double the price of an egg sinker.... I have had lots of luck using the low profile slip sinkers though and they aren't that much more expensive than the egg sinkers but can be difficult to get in jam.

Those flat sinkers with a wire are what you want to use off the piers on Lake Erie when fishing for perch though so you could do them both ways.... but twisting that wire requires a jig to get it right. I wish I had gotten my grandfather's lead sinker gear before my cousins grabbed it, he had the perfect jig for bending wire in the sinker molds.

Photoz

He should walk around the sportsman show with samples and give them to the stores. Make sure he talks to someone high up that actually works there and not a temp brought in for just the show.

There's more and more guys selling carp supplies and like you I can never find the good sinkers in stock at FW. I've been using some pyramid salt water ones for a bit but I'm getting down in stock.

As a manufacturer he's better to cut a few points off the top and send bigger orders out to the stores

There is a little shop called Fishing Sports. It is on Sheppard, east of Wilson Hights on the left side. There is a yellow fish on a blue sign. He has thousands of these types of sinkers, Tell him Daniel sent you.

Fish Ontario has a few, Fish online Canada had them a while back, There around you have to look. Fishing sports has them for sure.

Daniel

OCH

Edited by Ontariocarper

Guest skeeter99

my buddy uses these

a no snagg(1st pic) or the roach walker(2nd pic) in the heavier weights can be found anywhere the roach he says is best for current and waves etc

if you want coffin sinkers, there are alot of U.K. sites that sell the molds for L16.50 to make just the amount you need buying lead local

very. very popular in europe

post-743-1202009421.jpg

post-743-1202009463.jpg

Edited by skeeter99

:wallbash:This is kinda weird . . . . I tried 'GOOGLE' several times, under 'carp gear,' 'lead sinkers,' coffin sinkers,' but never got a sniff? The ones Dinsmores have are the real McCoy . . . . but . . . . at approximately $3.00 Canadian each, then shipping on top of that . . . . . the cost would be prohibitive! If 'Fish-On-Line is the shop down at Jane & Lawrence, I did go there last year, I even took a couple examples to show him . . . . he'd never seen (or so he said) this sinker before . . . . claimed the 'bell,' or the 'egg' sinkers were much better. Also suggested the large 'egg' sinker could be placed in a vice and a piece sliced off each side with a hacksaw? I was also given several phone numbers of smaller bait & tackle shops, including the one up at Sheppard & Wilson Heights . . . no flat sinkers there either, although he claimed to 'specialize' in carp gear, and if he saw what I had, he could likely order some . . . . . he seemed quite helpful & knowledgeable, except for not knowing about 'coffin' sinkers. I asked around for 2 years, fellow carpers & every bait & tackle shop I saw . . . . . and the FIRST one I've seen that actually advertises the 'coffin' sinker is the 'Dinsmore's' site I've just been given. But . . . . it appears that these things are only made in Europe, and there are few places willing to put out the money & time it takes to get them . . . . after paying what it costs to get them, it appears there's little profit in them. THIS is why I thought MAY Y Y Y B E there might be some interest in 'em here? When they were a lot cheaper I used to buy several dozen at a time . . . taking orders for them from fellow anglers till they got just too expensive. But . . . . keep the suggestions rollin' in . . . . it still MIGHT be slightly profitible if there's a good market for them. :canadian:

Guest skeeter99

here I just googled it

here are the molds to make yourself

http://www.fishingweightmolds.com/shop.php?viewcategory=109

and some to buy

http://www.dinsmores.co.uk/viewsubcategory.asp?subId=40

these are cheaper **they are also called coffin legers** you get a 8 pack for L1.40 so roughly $3.0 for 8

http://www.fish2catch.com/erol.html#5025X1721

Edited by skeeter99

:thumbsup_anim:THAT DOES IT!! I'm just gonna have to learn how to use a computer better! Unfortunately it would be quite difficult for me to ste up & make sinkers in an apartment . . . . but . . . . I will pass the info along! T'anks for takin' the time!

Not many waterfowl will swallow a 2 or 3 ounce lead sinker, or would even find it slightly paletable? Still plenty of bell & egg lead sinkers in the tackle shops? I KNOW ya can't hunt with lead pellets, and there was a real push to ban it in sinkers a few years back . . . . but that seemed to die . . . anybody know for sure what happened the lead sinker controversy?

I have collected the lead from wheel weights from auto garages and use them to cast my sinkers. I use a router and pieces of corian to make my molds. I cut an oval cavity that is 2/3 of the corian depth and then cut a slot at the top and bottom 1/2 of the cavity depth. I use a piece of coat hanger thru the slots with (2) 1/2" nuts to weigh down the wire to keep it from floating in the lead. Then pour the lead and as soon as it hardens pick up the wire and slide the sinker off of the HOT wire. The corian will get soft but usually you can get 30 + sinkers before it cracks or distorts. The secret is to make 3 or 4 cavities and let them cool off between pours. Your sinkers will not be perfect because the corian gasses off slightly as it gets hot but the sinkers are very usable. I guess one day I will make them out of metal but i can get a seasons worth very quickly with almost no expense.

Art

:wallbash:This is kinda weird . . . . I tried 'GOOGLE' several times, under 'carp gear,' 'lead sinkers,' coffin sinkers,' but never got a sniff? The ones Dinsmores have are the real McCoy . . . . but . . . . at approximately $3.00 Canadian each, then shipping on top of that . . . . . the cost would be prohibitive! If 'Fish-On-Line is the shop down at Jane & Lawrence, I did go there last year, I even took a couple examples to show him . . . . he'd never seen (or so he said) this sinker before . . . . claimed the 'bell,' or the 'egg' sinkers were much better. Also suggested the large 'egg' sinker could be placed in a vice and a piece sliced off each side with a hacksaw? I was also given several phone numbers of smaller bait & tackle shops, including the one up at Sheppard & Wilson Heights . . . no flat sinkers there either, although he claimed to 'specialize' in carp gear, and if he saw what I had, he could likely order some . . . . . he seemed quite helpful & knowledgeable, except for not knowing about 'coffin' sinkers. I asked around for 2 years, fellow carpers & every bait & tackle shop I saw . . . . . and the FIRST one I've seen that actually advertises the 'coffin' sinker is the 'Dinsmore's' site I've just been given. But . . . . it appears that these things are only made in Europe, and there are few places willing to put out the money & time it takes to get them . . . . after paying what it costs to get them, it appears there's little profit in them. THIS is why I thought MAY Y Y Y B E there might be some interest in 'em here? When they were a lot cheaper I used to buy several dozen at a time . . . taking orders for them from fellow anglers till they got just too expensive. But . . . . keep the suggestions rollin' in . . . . it still MIGHT be slightly profitible if there's a good market for them. :canadian:

I was at Fishing sports on Friday Sheppard and Wilson Hights, Gleb has them, they are called match leads/weights for light tackle match fishing for carp. These leads are cheap too.

Well I tried,

Daniel

OCH