fishing in costa rica? /honeymoon

bassdreamer

Hi everyone,i'm heading down to costa rica for my honeymoon on march 24th,the wife and i will be staying at the hilton papagayo resort.I was wondering if anyone ever stayed there and if anyone ever fished that area? How much would it cost to rent a charter and what kind of fish would we be going for? thanks in advance bassdreamer aka kim

Never been, hopefully somebody can help you out.

But you should factor in the cost of fishing on your honeymoon! Unless your wife wants to join you on the charter or is cool with you going fishing while you're there, if so then you got yourself a keeper...

Mike

(my wife and I went fishing during our honeymoon, and also on our first anniversary, so I consider myself very very lucky)

great place to catch sails, i have never been but have a partner with cattle that takes his family about 3 times a year.

my wife and i also went fishing on our honeymoon, even she agreed that it was one of the best sidetrips we did while in cancun for the week. it could have been that she kicked my butt with a really nice mahi mahi in my avatar. lol

good luck have fun.

jason

Papagayo is on the Pacific west of Liberia in Guanacaste, in the northwest corner of the country. You'll be arriving at the end of the dry season so don't expect the lush green tropical scenery usually associated with this country's rainforests and landscape. You are in the countries "farmland" province.

Your timing is good for marlin and sailfish. You'll be catching the end of their season (Jan-Apr) for both species. Sailfishing is better in the south of the country, marlin in the north. Yellowfin, dorado and wahoo are a few other species you may hook up with. First trip I took there was near that area and we paid $600 US for a charter to catch 1 sailfish (80-90lb) and 1 yellowfin (120lb) and lose 1 other sailfish... that was April. This past January we paid $720 US for a day and caught 1 mahi mahi, 1 wahoo and 1 marlin. We lost 1 other mahi mahi and missed 2 marlin. Worth every penny. Your hotel will make arrangements for you, but, if you do the legwork yourself you will likely save $100+.

Expect $600 - $1100 US to charter a boat for the day. DO NOT take any charters that offer a day offshore for $50-$100 US. You will be sorry when you're crammed in with 10 others and catch nothing.

If I can suggest a couple excursions nearby to you... "Hacienda Guachipelin" and whitewater rafting on the Terrorio. (may be too dry for that)

Beautiful country... Have fun and Pura Vida.